Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Trust me I have seen exactly what Roxburgh mentioned. Two years ago on our Baltic cruise I had the unfortunate pleasure of dining with a "gentleman" and his lady friend who thought they were so rich and their strategically "torn and worn" jeans were so expensive that they wore them in the Restaurant to dinner one evening on a night when they had invited ourselves and the two other couples traveling with us to join them for a special dinner they had the chef prepare. Needless to say we were mortified.Don't remember if there were ball caps( sideways or backwards) but I do remember she was wearing a hoodie. :rolleyes:

Well, my post was supposed to be tongue in cheek. However, different people have different ideas as to what "well dressed" means. However, from what I have seen, what you describe above is very rare. That said, I would rather dine with someone who is good company than well dressed although good company and well dressed would be preferable.

Edited by Roxburgh

I would rather dine with someone who is good company than well dressed although good company and well dressed would be preferable.

Agree . . . . .

I've read some books with tacky covers that provided hours of pleasure during the reading. Like wise I have read books that were smartly bond that were dull and uninteresting. That said I still believe Seabourn's dress code is easily followed just using common sense.

I wouldn't dream of wearing jeans on a cruise. However I don't want to get involved with tuxes or suits on a cruise. Would a sport coat without a tie be acceptable on Seabourn cruises? We're looking to upgrade from NCL (only cruised once in since the mid 80's when dress codes were more prevalent and airline baggage fees unheard of) - but do like the idea of "freestyle" when it comes to dress and dining.

I wouldn't dream of wearing jeans on a cruise. However I don't want to get involved with tuxes or suits on a cruise. Would a sport coat without a tie be acceptable on Seabourn cruises? We're looking to upgrade from NCL (only cruised once in since the mid 80's when dress codes were more prevalent and airline baggage fees unheard of) - but do like the idea of "freestyle" when it comes to dress and dining.

On its web site, Seabourn says there will be some nights when Casual attire is OK, others when Elegant Casual is called for and others when Black Tie Optional is specified. These are further described by them as follows:

"Casual: Slacks with sweater or shirt for men; sundress, slacks or skirt and top for women

Elegant Casual: Jacket, but no tie, requested for men; dress, skirt or pants outfit for women

Black Tie Optional: Tuxedo or dark suit for men; evening gown or other formal attire for women"

So it sounds to me like you'll be fine with a sport coat and no tie as long as you stay out of sight on "Black Tie Optional" nights.

I haven't cruised with Seabourn yet, but the dress code as spelled out by them sounds simple and easy to conform to. I'm going to give it a try, at least.

I guess we'll stick with NCL then. We don't want to have to dress for dinner on a cruise.

That response sounds like a petulant 5 year old to me. On the one or two Black tie optional nights there are other venues to choose, more if you are on one of the 3 'Big Sisters'. Additionally, you can be served the same menu, course by course in your suite, wearing whatever you want.

Depending on the ship and itinerary, there may be no 'Black tie optional' evenings at all.

The Seabourn experience is quite special to many of us. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

I don't think that I am doing that. As I just said on the Crystal board, you can go to fine 5 star resorts around the world without even thinking about tuxes, suits or dress codes. A cruise is a vacation not a dress up event. However I don't want to ruin anyone's parade and the suites on NCL will suit me fine.

That response sounds like a petulant 5 year old to me. On the one or two Black tie optional nights there are other venues to choose, more if you are on one of the 3 'Big Sisters'. Additionally, you can be served the same menu, course by course in your suite, wearing whatever you want.

Depending on the ship and itinerary, there may be no 'Black tie optional' evenings at all.

The Seabourn experience is quite special to many of us. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Jane,

I'm confused about evening attire on Seabourne. The FAQ on the website says:

Attire On Board :

During the daytime, casual, resort-style attire, including shorts and jeans, is welcome in all lounges and dining venues. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside, on deck or in the spa and fitness center.

Each day in the ship’s program, a suggested dress advisory designates appropriate attire for lounges and dining venues on board after 6:00 pm. It will be specified as one of the following:

Resort Casual: Slacks and a sweater or shirt for men; sundress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

Elegantly Casual: Slacks with a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men. Dress, skirt or pants with a sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in The Restaurant.

Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days.

Formal Optional attire includes a tuxedo or dark suit with tie for men, cocktail dress or other formal apparel for women. On Formal Optional evenings, we request no jeans in any of the lounges or dining venues.

The itinerary in the “Already Booked” section of Seabourn’s website, or in the preliminary document booklet, will inform you of the number of Formal Optional evenings to expect during your voyage. As a rule of thumb, Formal Optional evenings are scheduled as follows:

Cruises up to 13 days: One Formal Optional evening

Cruises of 14 to 20 days: Two Formal Optional evenings

Cruises of 21 or more days: Three Formal Optional evenings

(Note: World Cruises, Holiday voyages and crossings may be scheduled differently.)

The quoted language suggests that Elegantly Casual attire is always appropriate during the evening and may be worn in the Restaurant on Formal Optional nights. Other language on the website talks about Black Tie Optional evenings during which Elegantly Casual attire would not be appropriate in The Restaurant. Which version of the dress code on the website is correct? I was under the impression the FAQ language controlled but now I'm not sure. Please help. Thanks.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

Fortunately, I can get away with a black dress and a few jackets. I think the way it is worded means that any night but Formal Optional is Elegant Casual eligible. I don't think I am making sense, but my male colleagues will chime in for sure! But I agree, it is confusing.

Fortunately, I can get away with a black dress and a few jackets. I think the way it is worded means that any night but Formal Optional is Elegant Casual eligible. I don't think I am making sense, but my male colleagues will chime in for sure! But I agree, it is confusing.

It is the 'while elegantly casual is ALWAYS appropriate' which is so confusing. This suggests that this dress is fine for formal evenings also, i.e. jacket but no tie necessary. I do wish Seabourn would pay attention, and alter their wording in the brochures etc. so that we knew one way or the other for sure - is jacket and no tie allowed for formals, or not? It seems to be a typical 'standing on the fence' attitude adopted by Seabourn and other lines. Speaking personally I like to see the men in at least a suit and tie, or dinner jacket, but that is just personal preference, and as Jane BP says, we women can get away with outfits that can be seen as formal or informal, and others that could be considered informal or casual.:confused:

On our cruise in December we had two formal optional nights of which one was the second night of the cruise. The next day we were chatting to two fellow Australians and they were complaining of the "stuffiness" of having to wear a suit and tie. By the end of our 15 day cruise when we had the the second formal optional they were into the whole good feeling of the cruise and were happy to participate as it felt like a special event.

I think compromise could be the answer with a dark suit and tie on formal optional. The dark jacket, no tie, works with light trousers on elegant casual. It worked for us in the hot tropical climate. The dining room was air conditioned so it wasn't a problem and when we went dancing after the show my husband removed the jacket and tie, if worn, as the night went on.

Julie

We just got our brochure for our Norwegian Fjords cruise at the end of June on the Sojourn. The dress categories were as listed above, including Formal Optional. I assumed this category meant that Elegantly Casual is appropriate but that Formal Optional is provided for guests who wish to dress more formally. I also assumed that this was Seabourn's attempt to strike a balance between eliminating formal nights, which it has done at one point last year on seven day cruises, and satisfying its loyal patrons who enjoy dressing up and bemoaned the loss of the formal evening. At 55 , I have experienced the evolution of accepted dress in general and personally. Although I was originally a little hesitant about business casual at work, I am now a staunch proponent of it. I have also seen the "casualization" of dress in finer restaurants. While I don't mind dressing up when appropriate, and have taken formal wear on past cruises, I don't relish it, and it is more of a packing hassle, since I like to minimize my luggage. Still, I want my dress to fit in with the majority of guests. The question that came to my mind when I read this policy was, are most of the guests still dressing formally on the Formal Optional nights? If that is the case, I will pack a cocktail dress. If Elegantly Casual is becoming more common, even on Formal Optional nights, I might skip the cocktail dress. If anyone has sailed recently and can give me some input, I would appreciate it.

Dear Clou,

Pack the cocktail dress, the LBD. Don't need a formal. But on the gala nights many will be decked to the nines. (Whatever that means!)

Sorry - I have just looked again at the up to date brochure, and it says for formal optional in the MDR it is tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit - guests in elegant casual are welcomed in the alternative dining venues (not much choice on the small ships, simply the veranda cafe aka Restaurant 2!)

So I was wrong to say SB is not making it more clear. As it would be a pity not to eat in the MDR for formals - usually a splendid menu - I fear that those who wish to do so need, for the men, tux, DJ or dark suit.

Sorry - I have just looked again at the up to date brochure, and it says for formal optional in the MDR it is tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit - guests in elegant casual are welcomed in the alternative dining venues (not much choice on the small ships, simply the veranda cafe aka Restaurant 2!)

So I was wrong to say SB is not making it more clear. As it would be a pity not to eat in the MDR for formals - usually a splendid menu - I fear that those who wish to do so need, for the men, tux, DJ or dark suit.

And the Sky Grill if the weather is nice....!

Marja

And the Sky Grill if the weather is nice....!

Marja

Well, yes, but it does need really nice weather, for the Sky Grill to be open, and (maybe the rules have changed recently) for you not to mind being among smokers, who so far as I know are permitted to smoke during Sky Grill dinners.:)

On the Odyssey we ate at the Sky Grill in the rain, under the covered area, of course. This wouldn't be as pleasant on the little sisters, of course. The shade covering leaks! But you don't have to get dressed up1

Edited by JaneBP

On the recent Ft. Lauderdale to Lisbon crossing I went to the Resturant on one of the "elegantly casual" nights wearing a shirt and tie but no jacket. On entering the Resturant I was informed that it was a jacket REQUIRED night, they did offer to loan me a jacket but I just went to my suite to get mine. It was not that I did not have a jacket I just do not like wearing them. Also on this crossing there were 3 formal nights which for me was a bit much. I like dressing up in my dinner jacket occasionally but 3 times in 12 days was too much for me.

In addition the poolside patio grill is closed on formal nights so that option is not available.

It also had to said that some of the jackets on display had seen better days and I felt that wearing a tie was better than an old shapeless jacket with elbow patches.

db

I don't think that I am doing that. As I just said on the Crystal board, you can go to fine 5 star resorts around the world without even thinking about tuxes, suits or dress codes. A cruise is a vacation not a dress up event. However I don't want to ruin anyone's parade and the suites on NCL will suit me fine.

It seems to me that this thread is almost an echo of one from a couple of years ago. At least the same (apparently) purposeful misinterpretations are expounded. To be clear, SB says that on formal nights, black-tie is optional. That means explicitly that you need not wear a tux, a dark suit, or even a tie. You must, however, wear a jacket.And hopefully, a shirt and trousers that reflect some, um, fashion sensitivity.

Some people enjoy dressing up. Many others don't. And the latter is often a coefficient of younger people--i.e., the target market of SB and other cruise lines.

Which isn't to say that I don't understand the appeal of putting on finery. I do. But as was said quite elegantly earlier, people are (hopefully) more interesting than their clothes. But not, apparently, always. Indeed, there was a lady on a SB cruise back a bit whose definition of formal evening wear seemed to embrace--not a verb to be used loosely--cleavage surrounded by small bits of taffeta. Needless to say, she had her water glass refilled more times in ten minutes than was mine for the entire evening. A small price to pay for the amusing sight of wives kicking any husband whose eyes wandered in that well-endowed direction.

Finally, remember that these boards tend to attract the most long standing --and probably the most conservative --of SB passengers. But they are by no means representative of the experience you well encounter aboard.

• Haha 1

I understand some people's point that you can go to some of the best restaurants, hotels, resorts, and what nots dressed however you want. I would say that would be the case in most places since the economy isn't great and I'm sure these establishments want as much business as possible.

HOWEVER, there are certain places that have specific rules. Just because another place with a similar service profile allows you to wear jeans doesn't mean that you should expect everything to conform to your expectation.

For instance, Masa is probably the most expensive restaurant in NYC and even though I wasn't in jeans the one time I was there, I did see someone at the omakase bar dressed in nice designer jeans. Per Se which is just next door to Masa requires jackets. I've never seen an exception made there the couple of times I've eaten there. Both have 5 star service and 5 star food but expectations on dress is different. Per Se makes it clear at reservation that they have the jacket policy.

My feeling is that as long as the expectations are posted before you put down your money then you have to abide by their rules. If you don't like a certain style then you can use your money elsewhere. There's really no reason to complain. If the establishment can't make money then they will change their rules or go out of business.

Writer 100 - in my UK brochure the statement re formal nights specifically says that for the 'black tie optional' evenings men should wear tuxedo, dinner jacket, or dark suit in the main dining room and that the 'alternative dining venues' will welcome guests in elegant casual attire as described, i.e. jacket with or without tie for men. Therefore, to dine in the main dining room on formal optional evenings a man has to be dressed in tux, d.j. or dark suit. Or perhaps I am misinterpreting it?

My brochure does not say that. It simply states. "Formal Optional: While Elegantly Casual is always appropriate during the evening, a Formal Optional evening will be provided for guests who wish to dress more formally at least once each seven days."