Will This Work? NYC.

mbrown572097

Hello, I am Claustrophobic to a degree. Mostly can't stand the thought of going underground. Also will not drive into NYC traffic for any reason. Strangely enough, I enjoy cruising. I am looking at staying at Hyatt NJ and taking the ferry over pre-cruise for touring. (4 days) On Cruise day, I plan to have a limo service take me over to MCT. (May have to medicate for this one.) My question is how much trouble am I going to be putting myself through by staying in Jersey for Manhattan touring? (via ferry) Ferry is 2 minute walk from Hyatt. Looks like a 10 minute ferry ride across the Hudson. I'll cab it once on the other side.:o

Hello, I am Claustrophobic to a degree. Mostly can't stand the thought of going underground. Also will not drive into NYC traffic for any reason. Strangely enough, I enjoy cruising. I am looking at staying at Hyatt NJ and taking the ferry over pre-cruise for touring. (4 days) On Cruise day, I plan to have a limo service take me over to MCT. (May have to medicate for this one.) My question is how much trouble am I going to be putting myself through by staying in Jersey for Manhattan touring? (via ferry) Ferry is 2 minute walk from Hyatt. Looks like a 10 minute ferry ride across the Hudson. I'll cab it once on the other side.:o

What exact 4 days of the week are you planning on doing this? You might do better by staying at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. It also depends on exactly where you want to go in Manhattan and exactly what you want to see.

How do you do on an above ground surface light rail train?

Sunday departure, so Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat

And what do you want to see and do in Manhattan? How late are you going to stay in town? Your sightseeing objectives and your ability to ride the above ground light rail significantly affect your choices from the Hyatt. Also could you ride a free bus in Manhattan? Or are you just planning to spend $$$$$ to ride cabs everywhere in Manhattan.

Saturday ferry service from the Hyatt is non-existent. You would have to get yourself to the Liberty Landing ferry to go to downtown or take the light rail to the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor or Port Imperial to get to midtown.

Stay 8-5 ish.

Good call out on Sat. I'll do something else for Saturday. Is Sat the only reason to consider the light rail?

Looking to do the big ticket items in Manhattan.

-Central Park

-World Trade

-Times Square

-ETC...

I figure I'll divide the city into 3 parts and see 1 section each day. (minimizing overlap as much as possible.)

Certainly open to a bus tour. Have considered the hop on and hop offs.

I have some more questions. How many people will be doing this with you? The ferry fares are expensive - $8-9/pp each way. Add on cabs around Manhattan and you can have a very pricey day before you even pay to do anything else.

Are you driving or flying?

Do you want to go out to the Statue of Liberty?

1). Check out the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. The ferry schedule is much much better (it runs all through the day and on Saturday to midtown unlike the Paulus Hook ferry). http://www.nywaterway.com/LincolnHarborWeehawkenRoute.aspx

http://www.nywaterway.com/PaulusHookRoute.aspx.

They also offer free bus routes to get you around midtown

http://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/Peak%20Bus%20Map.pdf

http://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/OffPeakBusMapFINAL.pdf

2) Where are you parking your car for the cruise week? You can park your car at Port Imperial for $16/day and take the ferry across with your luggage to 39th St. What you do is drop three of your folks off at the ferry terminal entrance with the luggage and park the car. On the NY side you get a cab to go up 12th Ave the 10-12 blocks to the pier. With multiple hands this is an easy accessible trip.

3) Consider accessing the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in NJ. Take the light rail to Essex St (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf), walk to the foot of Warren St., and take the Liberty Landing ferry across the small channel to Liberty State Park to catch the SOL ferry. http://www.libertylandingferry.com/ you can walk to the foot of Warren from the Hyatt.

After you see the SOL, you have the choice of returning to lower Manhattan for a while and then getting back to NJ on the Liberty Landing ferry again (if it's a Sat). Crowds to the SOL are greatly reduced from NJ.

Where are you driving from to get to NJ ?

Start by staying in Manhattan and not NJ. That way you can have a "base" to head back to during the day to take a break, use the bathroom, drop off any stuff you buy.

mbrown - did you price out just staying in Manhattan for 4 days instead of spending $64-72/day on ferry fares plus additional cab fares plus parking at the Hyatt? You can just ditch your car at Port Imperial and take one round trip ferry ride to Manhattan. We've answered your specific questions, but Trucker Dave has a valid point in questioning your complicated and expensive big picture plan to deal with your claustrophobia. What are your exact dates that you need a hotel room? Bed requirements? What would you pay for the Hyatt with tax?

Manhattan can be exhausting. The ability to make a pit stop at your hotel and relax a bit before going out again cannot be overrated. You will miss a lot of the fun of being in NY if you don't get to experience it in the evening as well.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. 1 Ferry ride across and stay in Manhattan. I'll investigate that. Driving up from Tennessee. I threw this idea out there to see if there were any creative ideas that could help. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. 1 Ferry ride across and stay in Manhattan. I'll investigate that. Driving up from Tennessee. I threw this idea out there to see if there were any creative ideas that could help. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!

1 round trip ferry ride. No car service to book to avoid tunnels. Car lodging for $16/day. Surface transportation and/or walking available all over Manhattan.

Please provide your dates so we can look at hotel prices. Also your bed configuration requirements. The Hyatt only offers 2 doubles. Is a pool required for the kids? Are you AAA members?

Yes AAA members,

May 29 - June 3 2017

4 people in the room. Prefer something bigger than doubles but that will suffice.

Look at the Hilton Gardens on W. 48th Street or the Hampton Inn on 8th Ave for your dates. Base price 289-292 with AAA rate cancellable with queen beds. These hotels are walkable to your midtown interests and are also close to the pier. If you want to go downtown, the #20 bus on 7th Ave will take you all the way to South Ferry with a return on 8th Ave.

If you're coming from Tennessee, one strategy to reduce your hotel costs is to stay at exit 8 or 8A on the NJ Turnpike the first night,drive to Port Imoerial the next morning leaving between 9:00-9:30, take the ferry, drop your bags at the hotel, and enjoy the rest of the day in NY.

I don't want to steal this thread, but i want to ask about a similar plan.

We are staying at La Quinta in Rutherford NJ prior to our cruise. I plan on using the ferry at Port Imperial on Sunday Sept 17th to get to the cruise pier for Breakaway. 2 adults early 50's no problems getting around. Is the parking at Port Imperial safe to leave a car for a week? Will I encounter any problems?

We also plan to try to sight see a little on Saturday. What is the best way to use public transportation from the hotel area(Rutherford)? We want to see the WTC area and maybe Chinatown, then times square. We haven't been to the city for several years.

Thanks,

Tom

I don't want to steal this thread, but i want to ask about a similar plan.

We are staying at La Quinta in Rutherford NJ prior to our cruise. I plan on using the ferry at Port Imperial on Sunday Sept 17th to get to the cruise pier for Breakaway. 2 adults early 50's no problems getting around. Is the parking at Port Imperial safe to leave a car for a week? Will I encounter any problems?

We also plan to try to sight see a little on Saturday. What is the best way to use public transportation from the hotel area(Rutherford)? We want to see the WTC area and maybe Chinatown, then times square. We haven't been to the city for several years.

Thanks,

Tom

There have been no complaints about parking at Port Imperial.

Bus to Port Authority Bus terminal is the best way into the city. However, the bus service from Clifton/Rutherford is hourly on a Sat. I would consider driving the the La Quinta in Secaucus to catch the bus. Parking is free in Harmon Meadows. Bus 320 runs every 10-15 minutes because this is a huge shopping area. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

Here's a summary of the transportation options from the Harmon Meadows area -

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/MeadowlandsGuide.pdf

There have been no complaints about parking at Port Imperial.

Bus to Port Authority Bus terminal is the best way into the city. However, the bus service from Clifton/Rutherford is hourly on a Sat. I would consider driving the the La Quinta in Secaucus to catch the bus. Parking is free in Harmon Meadows. Bus 320 runs every 10-15 minutes because this is a huge shopping area. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

Here's a summary of the transportation options from the Harmon Meadows area -

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/MeadowlandsGuide.pdf

If you take the bus you will need to take the subway to the WTC from there. Is it feasible to take the ferry or is it too expensive? The ferry brings you right to WTC area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you take the bus you will need to take the subway to the WTC from there. Is it feasible to take the ferry or is it too expensive? The ferry brings you right to WTC area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ferry only runs from Paulus Hook in Jersey City or Liberty State Park in Jersey City on the weekend. You have to pay to park ($7 at LSP), pay some turnpike toll, and pay $6-7 ferry fare. The OP wants to do both Times Square and lower Manhattan, so subway rides are going to be required anyway on a weekend.

The ferry only runs from Paulus Hook in Jersey City or Liberty State Park in Jersey City on the weekend. You have to pay to park ($7 at LSP), pay some turnpike toll, and pay $6-7 ferry fare. The OP wants to do both Times Square and lower Manhattan, so subway rides are going to be required anyway on a weekend.

I figured bus to subway for a quick stop or 2.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk