Hurricane Sandy cruises-what did Carnival give you?

familycruzer

Just curious what other ships were offering.

We went from a 6 night to 5 night and 3 days in port to one.

We got ....

just shy of $17 back in port fees from a change in itinerary. Instead of two days in Nassau and one in Freeport we got 7 hours in Nassau.

20% off another 2 to 6 night cruise that must be taken by October 2014

one day credit of gratuities

one day cruise fare refunded back to us within a couple of weeks to the credit card on file

That sure sounds fair to me since ports aren't part of the guarantee. More than I got when I was on a land vacation and got caught up in some very severe weather. In fact we got stuck for two extra days 'cause no air travel out....two more nights in hotels, more food costs and the rain never stopped. One of the funnest family vacations I ever remember.

It was fair to me too.

I am taking the $400 to spend on excursions for my next cruise and I tipped my room steward the extra money we got back from gratuities. He deserved his full amount.

The 20% discount I doubt I will use. Not many 2 to 6 night cruises close to home to pick from.

Just curious what other ships were offering.

We went from a 6 night to 5 night and 3 days in port to one.

We got ....

just shy of $17 back in port fees from a change in itinerary. Instead of two days in Nassau and one in Freeport we got 7 hours in Nassau.

20% off another 2 to 6 night cruise that must be taken by October 2014

one day credit of gratuities

one day cruise fare refunded back to us within a couple of weeks to the credit card on file

That's a bit less than adequate! That's simply the bare minimum.

Just off the Pride last night and we got $29.04 per person refunded for the 2 ports we missed. Supposed to have 3 stops, managed to get one of them in. And we also got 50% off of a future 2 to 7 night cruise. Our cruise wasn't shortened per say. We arrived back to Baltimore last night and were given the option to disembark completely or return to the ship and disembark in the morning. We chose to go ahead and disembark since we had driven to the port. No biggie for us. I thought the compensation was more than fair considering I know the ports are never a guarantee.

We still had a blast through all the rocking and rolling and like I said I think the fact that they offered any kind of future cruise discount was really above what they had to do to, especially half off! :D

Hi Family Cruzer......regarding the 20% discount for a 2 - 6 night cruise......... Check out the Glory out of Norfolk, VA.........we just got back from a 6 night cruise on the 20th of October and had a wonderful time. In 2013 she is doing a couple of 5 night cruises out of Norfolk. Nice terminal too and Loved the Glory!:)

Hi Family Cruzer......regarding the 20% discount for a 2 - 6 night cruise......... Check out the Glory out of Norfolk, VA.........we just got back from a 6 night cruise on the 20th of October and had a wonderful time. In 2013 she is doing a couple of 5 night cruises out of Norfolk. Nice terminal too and Loved the Glory!:)

Thats what I just back from and am a bit leary to try again next October.

20% is a pretty good offer if it wasn't in response to a specific complaint.

On our hurricane cruise (Jubilee out of Galveston), our two ports in Mexico got cancelled and we ended up in New Orleans instead for a few hours after several diversions.

Carnival gave us only $20 per person on our accounts for the inconvenience. Granted, that was 2002, so maybe it'd be a little more, but certainly not a 20% future discount.

We (Carnival Magic) got rerouted to Key West and Costa Maya, instead of Grand Cayman and Montego Bay.

I really don't care for Key West, so wasn't too thrilled about that. Was pleasantly surprised at Costa Maya.

All in All, I don't expect anything from Carnival, they did a great job with us of salvaging our trip in spite of the circumstances.

20% is a pretty good offer if it wasn't in response to a specific complaint.

On our hurricane cruise (Jubilee out of Galveston), our two ports in Mexico got cancelled and we ended up in New Orleans instead for a few hours after several diversions.

Carnival gave us only $20 per person on our accounts for the inconvenience. Granted, that was 2002, so maybe it'd be a little more, but certainly not a 20% future discount.

I got 20% just for complaining the Speakeasy was closed the entire week to adults for a group of kids. And I sailed a 7 day cruise to all my ports.

Just off the Pride last night and we got $29.04 per person refunded for the 2 ports we missed. Supposed to have 3 stops, managed to get one of them in. And we also got 50% off of a future 2 to 7 night cruise. Our cruise wasn't shortened per say. We arrived back to Baltimore last night and were given the option to disembark completely or return to the ship and disembark in the morning. We chose to go ahead and disembark since we had driven to the port. No biggie for us. I thought the compensation was more than fair considering I know the ports are never a guarantee.

We still had a blast through all the rocking and rolling and like I said I think the fact that they offered any kind of future cruise discount was really above what they had to do to, especially half off! :D

50% off huh? Man we shouldve taken the Pride. No, Carnival doesnt owe us anything but it is quite unfair that we are given 20% and you are given 50%. We lost a day on our cruise and only got to visit 1/3 days like you did.

We were very unhappy with our cruise regarding the first couple of days. Service was so so, food was so so and nothing was as good as it was on our last cruise. They made us feel like they were doing us a favor by having us on board. The weather changes were something I was expecting so it didnt bother me much, we got to go to the Atlantis for the couple hours in port which was nice.

Edited by agc291

never mind, I missed where they prorated your cruise. I would say that 16% plus the offer of 20% off was fair. I would also assume if you had a shore excursion they would of refunded that as well.

Edited by vicocala
not being able to read properly. :)

I think someone is a little grumpy! If you don't like the cruiseline don't go. Let those that do enjoy it along with their posts.

Since the bunch of hurricanes hit AL and LA a few years ago unless you have insurrance you don't even get your hotel fee refunded if you are evacuated.

Think the cruiselines are being fair to all.

I fell that 20% off a future cruise was fair. However I must say that Carnival most likely lost money on drinks because so many people were seasick. Even the last night when the diningroom was full I was the only person with a drink and that was only because I had bought a bottle of wine on the second day. It was a chore drinking that one glass.

I also feel that the cruise director could have offered more activities. Last year on the Freedom was our port was cancelled that showed movies, this time it seemed as though all they added was more bingo.