I knows its not Cunard but....

roscoe39

Look I know its not Cunard, but I leave tonight on my way to join the "Explorer of the Seas". which leaves Sydney in a few days. Ive been told number of times that it was time I expanded my horizons and experienced another line so here goes..

In case anyone is interested I have started my blog again

http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz

I know Royal Carribean Line and Cunard are apples and oranges - but I'm sure comparisons will be made and assumptions drawn.....I'm just hoping none of the passengers on the ship read it...

roscoe....

Roscoe

You are a brave man broadening your horizons by trying Royal Caribbean!

Last November in St Kitts, the QV was berthed across a very small pontoon from the Freedom of the Seas. Apart from blocking the beautiful view we had, we could not sit on our balcony because of the pop music blaring constantly fighting with the big screen presentation from the pool area.

It will be interesting reading your blog, but you never know, this cruise line might take over your affections!!!!:oHave a great trip, Roscoe, and hope you visit some interesting places.

Look I know its not Cunard, but I leave tonight on my way to join the "Explorer of the Seas". which leaves Sydney in a few days. Ive been told number of times that it was time I expanded my horizons and experienced another line so here goes..

In case anyone is interested I have started my blog again

http://butarewethereyet.blogspot.co.nz

I know Royal Carribean Line and Cunard are apples and oranges - but I'm sure comparisons will be made and assumptions drawn.....I'm just hoping none of the passengers on the ship read it...

roscoe....

Yay! What would winter be without following your blog. Thanks for posting the link, I look forward to your escapades............

Roscoe....enjoy!!! I'm unashamedly Cunard as well but looking forward to reading about your escapades on Explorer of the Seas and judging by your first two blogs we are in for a treat! Regards Brian Lord

thanks guys, still going through the precursor of the big family birthday party here....boy Australians can really drink.....and eat..... but then. i remembered ..i used to be one! Watching the weather forecast which is slowly clearing so hopefully it wont be a week stuck inside with 3 thousand wet and disappointed holiday makers.

I'm just hoping none of the passengers on the ship read it...

roscoe....

Too late mate.

I'll see you at the belly flop competition.

Ive sailed Cunard, Ive sailed RCCL. Never had a cruise I didn't enjoy.

We just go with the flow (as I am sure you do):D

Too late mate.

:DI'll see you at the belly flop competition.

Ive sailed Cunard, Ive sailed RCCL. Never had a cruise I didn't enjoy.

We just go with the flow (as I am sure you do)

oops...

thanks guys., surrounded by prawns once again we are still in party mode pre cruise here...these Australians really know how to lay on a good time......with fear and trepidation in my heart tomorrow will come soon enough....another glass of Krug should help my butterflies..

I’ve been trying different cruise lines during the last few years, and I’m making it a goal not to repeat the same one two times in a row. Long story short, Its been a fantastic decision.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is that you go with an open mind and adjust expectations accordingly, just like you would when staying at different hotel chains or eating at different restaurants on land.

I’ve absolutely enjoyed Royal Caribbean but for very different reasons I’ve absolutely enjoyed Princess, Holland America, etc.

I must say that I haven’t set foot on a Cunard ship in almost 30 years. [emoji33] It seems like its time I try them again!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well day two and I can report......POLE DANCERS! The ship is full of them on a workshop and conference....now that would never happen at home on Cunard. Well...not ones we would go and watch anyway. I did manage to crash their welcome on board party last night but i SWEAR it was by accident. Once there what could I do but stay? I didn't want to offend anyone by leaving.

Apart from a very fit and some would say ...attractive young passengers we have a mix of purple and green hair - tattoos abundant - earrings and mullets. Huge amount of families and a smattering of people my age. You can draw your own conclusions.

Tonight is formal, after last nights showing in the dining room - that should be interesting.

The beds like concrete but I have to say the ship does have some interesting and colourful spaces., the crew very attentive and top class but the entertainment manager does have the feel of a Butlins manager. I am not looking forward to the Belly Flop competition which turns out to be NOT an urban myth.

I'm also going to add after a couple of days on board that I will vehemently defend Cunard when they are accused of a class system onboard. The concierge level on this ship has had absolutely top priority in everything that I have done or lined up for including seperate lines to get in to see the ice show. Although Cunard has Princess and Queens grill I can't remember ever having the opportunity to walk in front of other guests just because of my room level....rant over...

Roscoe you have the knack! LOL! There's no cocktail party that will happen without you particularly one involving 200 Pole dancers! Love your photos in your blog!

Thanks, ended up chatting to some of them in one of the spa pools tonight and there are a few lovely people amongst them. The night club tonight was fair heaving ....... though formal night on RCL seems to have a different meaning to some....I have to admit to being slightly over dressed and that was after I toned it down.

photos to come to a blog near you........

The ice skating show was stunning....cant wait to see one on the QV...

First mention by the Captain this morning was to say that we may not stop at Lifou because of Hola! but then decided we would. OR at least thats what I think he said he's from somewhere that has a heavy accent and it seems that I nor anyone else I meet can understand him. Still.....he did get us here so at least he can drive.

I must say the tender operation was appalling.

I know we have 3400 passengers on board but I waited 2.75 hours to get off and I was tender # 18, the ticket process ran up at that stage to #42. Doing a quick calculation as we are departing at 5.30 they would barely be able to reach that number.

That was pretty bad.

Edited by roscoe39

Roscoe, go with the flow and enjoy. I've sailed many cruise lines and while some are better than others virtually all of them are excellent is some way or other. I think among other things you'll find great wifi and a lot of late night entertainment options. There will be many things where Cunard is better but don't miss them; you wouldn't be getting most of them if you were at home either.

When I'm on a cruise line I try to really enjoy the things that are special about that cruise line and not worry about the things I don't have, especially if I wouldn't have them at home either.

You're dead right about the class system. Of all the cruise lines I've sailed, Cunard is probably the most egalitarian of all with the exception of the true luxury lines (Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea). Some class systems are based on loyalty status others by cabin category, and sometimes a combination of the two.

One of the problems you had with tendering might be the class system. I know suites all have priority tendering and perhaps also certain loyalty status levels. I know Cunard gives it to Q1 cabins, but that's probably just about 1 row of seats on the first tender, not a huge number of passengers.

I'm Diamond on Royal but that's mostly on Cunard sized ships and have never tendered on a ship the size of Explorer. I hope your problem was affected by sea conditions and didn't reflect an ongoing issue.

Look for the positives and have a great cruise.

Roy

Look for the positives and have a great cruise.

Roy

HI ROY,

theres no such thing as a bad day at sea for me....and Ive just had a bonus! Another day at sea! they just cancelled our call into Noumea .... some trifle about some silly little 75 knott winds and a tiny little cyclone called Hola!.

It would never happen on the Qe2.