New Ship

bee-ess

Quite agree. Unimpressed and uninspired. Shame. Think it should have had some nod to the many years P&O have been cruising.

Paul Ludlow explains in his video the reasoning behide the name choice.

He says that they can trace their (P&O) history and roots back to Scotland.

Certainly looks a very nice place and should please our Scottish friends.

OMG.

Next shock will be Nicky Sturgeon as the Godmother.

:evilsmile::evilsmile::evilsmile:

Made us laugh :')

Now that would be the final nail in the coffin for us !!! :p

A lot of negative comments on here. Let’s face it, no matter what they had called her a lot of people would have been unhappy. Unfortunately that seems to be human nature, but it doesn’t really matter, we’ll all get used to it quite quickly and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Very boring. Strange.

The name isn't what I was expecting either. I know that not all of us would be able to agree on a name, but I was expecting something that would be more memorable, exciting and which would grab the passengers attention and imagination.

I quite like the name and thought it was good that it was announced live from Iona and an explanation of why the name was chosen.It would be nice if the ship could dock somewhere nearby because it is a lovely island but can t see how that would be possible with such a huge ship.On one cruise with another company we tendered into Mull (from where you can catch a ferry to Iona) but although there were only 500 people onboard there were far too many for Mull and Iona is a lot smaller than that!I tend to associate Iona with everything peaceful A large cruise ship doesn t really fit the image

Iona is a beautiful name. Not one though I’d suggest for a massive beast of a ship that won’t be able to visit small islands... nor one for a ship that’ll be heaving, busy and probably noisy! If they’d built a smaller ship then it would have been apt ;)

Iona is a beautiful name. Not one though I’d suggest for a massive beast of a ship that won’t be able to visit small islands... nor one for a ship that’ll be heaving, busy and probably noisy! If they’d built a smaller ship then it would have been apt ;)

I agree. It would be a lovely name for a small Adonia size ship that could visit these small islands.

I think the bigger ship needed a more robust and expressive for its size.

The renderings in the animation look interesting!

- some infinity pools at the back maybe?

- Looks like a wraparound promenade deck.

- Something like an enclosed sports arena?

- Is the big glass dome covering a central atrium?

Sandra

The renderings in the animation look interesting!

- some infinity pools at the back maybe?

- Looks like a wraparound promenade deck.

- Something like an enclosed sports arena?

- Is the big glass dome covering a central atrium?

Sandra

I think Iona looks amazing. I love how there are pools and hot tubs spread liberally along the top decks. I also like the stair-stepped back of the ship. And I especially love that they show lots of umbrellas and shaded areas, as I cannot take too much sun.

The "big glass dome" is called the Sky Dome. Here's P&O's description from their website: "A major new entertainment hub called SkyDome will be one of the star attractions of our new ship. Featuring an impressive roof and a pool with a retractable stage, SkyDome offers a unique space whatever the weather. By day, it is the perfect place for entertainment, relaxation and informal dining. By night, it comes alive with aerial performances and immersive shows."

Fascinating to compare Iona with Costa Smerelda and AidaNova, the other LNG ships ordered by Carnival Corp and also being built by Meyer Werft. While many features are identical between all the ships, like the bridge, superstructure, and top deck dome, the bow and stern are completely different.

93029A37-D9E4-477E-BEFD-34C89A5D0955-e1527195921825.jpeg

9A62C54C-27A2-4688-8E20-3C74EDF431ED-e1527196177715.jpeg

Carnival Corp has a long history of sharing ship designs across different brands. Just consider the Vista-Class ships sailing for Carnival, HAL, Cunard, P&O, and Costa. It’s nice to see Carnival Corp differentiating these LNG ships a bit, although the Aida and Costa ships will be identical, and we have yet to see the Carnival version.

I don’t mind the name, it’s tomorrow’s chip paper.

We won’t go on the maiden voyage but would consider a short early cruise in the maiden season. I think Britannia was ok in the early days once ‘broken in’, but the staff on this large ship now seem ‘passenger-weary’ and the service and quality just wasn’t the same as medium sized adult-only ships in my experience - unless you paid for speciality venues. They feel like budget holidays which is fine unless you are used to the days when P&O cruising was something more special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don’t mind the name, it’s tomorrow’s chip paper.

We won’t go on the maiden voyage but would consider a short early cruise in the maiden season. I think Britannia was ok in the early days once ‘broken in’, but the staff on this large ship now seem ‘passenger-weary’ and the service and quality just wasn’t the same as medium sized adult-only ships in my experience - unless you paid for speciality venues. They feel like budget holidays which is fine unless you are used to the days when P&O cruising was something more special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree.

The new name seems a bit tiny and somewhat underwhelming, but Britannia was bold, brassy and interesting. However the reality was a rather bland, badly designed and soulless ship. So maybe Iona will turn out to be innovative, impressive and a great success, one can but hope.

Fascinating to compare Iona with Costa Smerelda and AidaNova, the other LNG ships ordered by Carnival Corp and also being built by Meyer Werft. While many features are identical between all the ships, like the bridge, superstructure, and top deck dome, the bow and stern are completely different.

93029A37-D9E4-477E-BEFD-34C89A5D0955-e1527195921825.jpeg

9A62C54C-27A2-4688-8E20-3C74EDF431ED-e1527196177715.jpeg

Carnival Corp has a long history of sharing ship designs across different brands. Just consider the Vista-Class ships sailing for Carnival, HAL, Cunard, P&O, and Costa. It’s nice to see Carnival Corp differentiating these LNG ships a bit, although the Aida and Costa ships will be identical, and we have yet to see the Carnival version.

Thanks for posting the photo comparison. The MDR on Iona is going to be a grand affair, given the height of the windows just above "IONA/SOUTHAMPTON."