Has anyone ever tried booking the day before a cruise leaves?

Ukulele girl

I am curious to know if I was to ring Cunard the day before a cruise leaves Southampton would there be any good deals available? I live close to Southampton and have cruised before so know what to pack and have a range of evening wear to choose from. Has anyone ever done this?

I suppose my assumption is that there would most likely be cancellations at the last minute and this may offer a deal to someone who could pick them up last minute. I have some friends who booked a P&O cruise the day before it left and they said they got a great deal (had to take a taxi to Manchester to fly out but felt it was worth it).

They often sell out before that point.

This is the likeliest scenario. The TA we took last month was sold out for at least a month before sailing. At any rate, you're not going to pay less than what it would cost them to leave the stateroom empty.

If you have any special needs at all, such as dietary restrictions, you'd better make sure they don't need more than 24 hours' notice.

I don't know the requirements in the UK, but per USA Today's Travel column: " U.S. State Department regulations require most cruise lines to submit a passenger manifest at least 72 hours before the boat (sic) leaves port. In most cases, it will be necessary to buy tickets at least three days in advance. Cash (for in-person purchases at the port office) or a credit card are the commonly accepted payment options, according to cruise line websites."

Ricki

I don't know the requirements in the UK, but per USA Today's Travel column: " U.S. State Department regulations require most cruise lines to submit a passenger manifest at least 72 hours before the boat (sic) leaves port. In most cases, it will be necessary to buy tickets at least three days in advance. Cash (for in-person purchases at the port office) or a credit card are the commonly accepted payment options, according to cruise line websites."

Ricki

So sad that USA Today has writers who fail to verify their 'facts'.

The State Department has no regulations regarding passenger manifests, however, CPB (Homeland Security) definitely has them. Typically, cruise lines must submit their passenger manifests to CBP no later than 1 hour before sailing.

We have done this, though it was several years ago.

You will notice though, that very occasionally a cruise remains on sale even on sailing day. That happened to a segment of the world cruise we were in a couple if years ago - we were able to identify an upgrade we took advantage of on boarding.

Quite a few years ago now we did the nearly instant departure. Got an email from Cunard on the Thursday and sailed on the Saturday. Can't remember the price though. Haven't had one of those emails for a long time.

An American Songwriter/musician wrote/played.. "The Times they are a changin"

Such a Truism.

As many past cruisers well know we/they could Book/Pay/ and board a ship the day of departure.

The Bon-Voyage parties were so well..

Princess which Cunard shares the facilities in California with even recent years had a sort of Family Bonvoyage Party farewell so as friends and family could see the ship(s) , eat a served lunch etc.. and paid only a smidgen ..

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting this subject came up, we are traveling back to the UK next year for a family/friends get together, I decided to look at the QM2 crossings as we have a little spare time and to cross something off the bucket list.

What amazed me is this year for the sailings around the date we are looking, we can get a Princess grill suite for the same price as a sheltered balcony room on next years crossing. Of course we run the risk of the ship selling out, but I am now firmly of mind to hold off booking for a while to see what type of deals come up.

Interesting thread and something that I have fantasized about. Probably works well for folks who live in Florida and want last-minute deals on all the lines that go to the Caribbean, or maybe folks who live in Barcelona and want the western Med.