Theft

SFloridian

I wouldn't be surprised if she also shares her husband's drink package. :rolleyes:

.....as soon as she has finished with her early morning chair hogging towel placements, tripling up on breakfast buffet items and not washing her hands after using the restrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was browsing in a shop once and the owner/saleslady said a woman came in and tried to return a broad brimmed hat she had bought the previous week. the shop owner refused, and pulled out the Sunday paper which had a picture of a large public event and that woman had been caught in the picture wearing the hat! EM

In 27 cruises we've never had anything stolen but did catch a young couple in our Grand Suite on a Royal Caribbean cruise. They said they were curious about what a suite looked like and decided to look at it. The attendant had just stepped out to get something from the supply closet and left the door open. I often wonder if we had not gone back to the cabin to get something we had forgotten and surprised this couple if they would have "helped" themselves to some of ours and then naturally blamed the cabin attendant.

I'm sorry to hear this has happened to your things and you have probably learned from the experience to make use of the safe in your cabin. You can also put items too large for the safe in a piece of luggage, lock the luggage and put it under the bed.

Since 2013 we have been on 22 cruises and have not had anything come up missing. When traveling anywhere, by any means of transportation, the diamonds and gold stay at home. I would be more concerned of attracting a thief

when I am wearing expensive jewelry than I am of having it stolen from our cabin.

What an essay by the OP. Obviously looking for sympathy and confirmation that this sort of thing happens all the time. A bit paranoid . Too many people entering your cabin? Well, I would imagine that staff members have better things to do than snooping through cabins and look for costume jewelry or second hand clothes. I bet staffs key cards are coded and every opening of any door with a particular card is recorded. "Stealing " shoes from underneath a deck chair? Not the staff, surely. If I leave my book, Sun glasses, whatever unattended in any public place for any amount of time I risk it going missing. Annoying, but my own fault.

Nope and I leave things out all the time. I left my camera out in the desk this last cruise every day. My jewelry roll was in the top drawer of the desk. I do put my money and passport in the room safe all the time but I’ve never had anything else taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an essay by the OP. Obviously looking for sympathy and confirmation that this sort of thing happens all the time. A bit paranoid . Too many people entering your cabin? Well, I would imagine that staff members have better things to do than snooping through cabins and look for costume jewelry or second hand clothes. I bet staffs key cards are coded and every opening of any door with a particular card is recorded. "Stealing " shoes from underneath a deck chair? Not the staff, surely. If I leave my book, Sun glasses, whatever unattended in any public place for any amount of time I risk it going missing. Annoying, but my own fault.

They sure didn't get any.

DON

I forgot my Kindle in the laundry room on the Carnival Dream, and it was gone when I went back a few minutes later. That was almost certainly a passenger. And when I first researched cruises a couple of years ago there was a big hoo-rah going on about crew stealing things like cameras out of checked luggage on one of the ships. Can't remember if the perpetrator was caught. So it happens sometimes!

I try to be very cautious in the cabin for everybody's sake -- small valuables and cash in the safe, larger items closed up in closets or suitcases when not being used. And I always put a sticky note on tips so there's no question who they're for.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to add small locks on the checked luggage, not just zip ties. As your experience shows, it's awfully easy for someone to sneak something out.

"....Sounds like it would be a good idea to add small locks on the checked luggage, not just zip ties. As your experience shows, it's awfully easy for someone to sneak something out.

Are you saying that you DON'T use travel padlock to any checked luggage anyway? You check your stuff in unlocked? 😲

Zip ties? As in cable ties from a hardware store?

Many people just use zip ties to keep the bags from coming open. As even my elegant night clothes came from the thrift store I never worried about anyone snatching them out of the bag. Jewelry, camera, and meds were in the carry on.

"....Sounds like it would be a good idea to add small locks on the checked luggage, not just zip ties. As your experience shows, it's awfully easy for someone to sneak something out.

Are you saying that you DON'T use travel padlock to any checked luggage anyway? You check your stuff in unlocked? ��

Zip ties? As in cable ties from a hardware store?

Locks are false security. It is easy to access the inside of most luggage using only a pen. Here is a video showing how. In less that a minute, the author opened, accessed, and resealed a suitcase. All with zero indication it was ever opened.

I never lock my luggage. I use zip ties to keep everything from accidentally opening, as I once say happening to a gentleman while retrieving his suitcase off a carousel. He had to scramble to gather up all his belongings as the moving belt tried to carry everything away.

After 50 years of travel and over 40 countries visited, most not on cruises, I have never had anything stolen or found anything not mine inside, other that a notice from TSA. I am of the opinion that thieves will be more attracted to luggage that is locked because it implies there is something valuable inside. They leave the unlocked ones alone since they assume they are most likely only filled with dirty clothing.

Edited by sloopsailor

...as I once say happening to a gentleman while retrieving his suitcase off a carousel. He had to scramble to gather up all his belongings as the moving belt tried to carry everything away.

Hey that might have been me :D;p

One of our suitcases had a blow out, guessing it fell off the wagon ;) and got runned over. Proof: tread marks :mad:

Ergo: Luggage Straps

I always love the elaborately locked luggage. That is soft or soft sided. :) Knife = OPEN.

My colleagues and I travel internationally a LOT. There have been two instances. One was a colleague who put his digital camera in a soft sided (locked) suitcase. The suitcase was cut right at the camera.

The other was a lost luggage situation. This person (who no longer works in my office), was on the phone yelling at the person from our agency in that country. A person who was trying to help him. The luggage turned up 6 weeks later. EMPTY. I always wonder....... :D

I have had my luggage searched, in some countries. But nothing missing.

I do not doubt your items are missing. But the amount of people touching your luggage from being put in the hall to you picking it up is quite large. I would suspect the port luggage handlers and fellow pax BEFORE ship's crew.

Decades ago the airline luggage handlers were busted country wide. Almost all had standard luggage keys for all makes on their key rings. I assume if it's going in checked bag, I might not see it again. If I'm taking something of value, it goes as carry-on

Do you think I would make this up?

I was on the Equinox in October, we didn’t have any issue with anything being stolen. We did however have a problem with our exterior door not latching, & therefore not locking, on our suite. It did get fixed on the 2nd or 3rd day. Even after the repair, we still had to “push” it closed to get it to latch when we left. We also had to remind the staff to do it too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On a RC cruise about 10 years ago one person in our group, first time cruiser, decided to put her lap top into her checked bag just before giving it up to the Porters at the dock. When the bag was delivered, the laptop was missing. She immediately reported it. Investigation was in place and the perpetrator was caught on camera before we left port and arrested. So sorry you have had these sad on board experiences, but one has to be alert and always report inappropriate acts.

On a RC cruise about 10 years ago one person in our group, first time cruiser, decided to put her lap top into her checked bag just before giving it up to the Porters at the dock. When the bag was delivered, the laptop was missing. She immediately reported it. Investigation was in place and the perpetrator was caught on camera before we left port and arrested. So sorry you have had these sad on board experiences, but one has to be alert and always report inappropriate acts.

Just to clarify for comparison to the OP's concerns, your issue was with porters who are not ship employees, so the cruise line has nothing to do with your situation.

You must travel extremely light if everything you bring on a cruise can be locked in your safe. :')

If clothes are stolen i probably wouldn’t even know until i got home and needed it three weeks later. Haha. As far as electronics, passports, and jewelry, they always stay in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 9 months later...

My wife and I went on a 12 day long awaited Carnival cruise to Hawaii. Everything was going great, on the first sea day we had purchase a picture frame at the photo shop. I handed the crew staff my sail and sign card to purchase the item. He then turn towards the till and started fumbling with his hands in a motion

towards his pocket area as he was approximately 8 feet away from me and the counter.

During this time I had eyes on him closely. He then returned and with a guilty look and wanted my sail and sign card ! I immediately got into a verbal confrontation with this scammer! The crew staff denied ever receiving my card. Security was call in and took notes and obtain my statement. They were so lame and dumb as they did not ever bother to review the CCVT cameras. Old card canceled immediately and new one issued. The moral of this incident is never take your eyes away from your valuable personal items. Cruise lines don't pay the workers much and demand long hours. So there is always a motive to steal.

Be safe not sorry.