Civil Service Sports Club travel insurance

suekay

Some months ago there was a thread about travel insurance (which I can't find despite searching) and somebody recommended the 50+travel insurance from the Civil Service Sports Club. It's available to anybody 50-79 who works in, or has a pension from any government service. Pre existing medical conditions don't need to be declared, and all are covered as long as the condition is stable and you haven't been advised not to travel by a doctor. Plus partner/spouse can also be covered for the joint cost of £275 pa. Even better, there's no upper age limit as long as the first policy starts before the age of 79.

DH has had a complex cardiac history, and although its stable and he can get cover elsewhere, I have always been worried that insurance companies would find some obscure reason to wriggle out of paying despite our being as honest as possible in the health declaration.

Phew! That was a long winded explanation, but I really wanted to thank whoever first recommended this policy, and to spread the word among others who may benefit. I emailed to check, and cruise evacuation cover is included. We can now travel free of the slightest worry about travel insurance

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Some months ago there was a thread about travel insurance (which I can't find despite searching) and somebody recommended the 50+travel insurance from the Civil Service Sports Club. It's available to anybody 50-79 who works in, or has a pension from any government service. Pre existing medical conditions don't need to be declared, and all are covered as long as the condition is stable and you haven't been advised not to travel by a doctor. Plus partner/spouse can also be covered for the joint cost of £275 pa. Even better, there's no upper age limit as long as the first policy starts before the age of 79.

DH has had a complex cardiac history, and although its stable and he can get cover elsewhere, I have always been worried that insurance companies would find some obscure reason to wriggle out of paying despite our being as honest as possible in the health declaration.

Phew! That was a long winded explanation, but I really wanted to thank whoever first recommended this policy, and to spread the word among others who may benefit. I emailed to check, and cruise evacuation cover is included. We can now travel free of the slightest worry about travel insurance

It costs £3-95pp per month to become a member and then for a couple it costs a an annual fee of £275 which totals to £369.80 and it starts on April 1st and if you join later you still have to pay full amount and is renewed every April 1st.

There’s also a “fit to travel” insurance for members of the Women’s Instiitute and their families. In fact, I think it may be underwritten by the same company. Medical evacuation by helicopter is covered to £25,000 which may be a problem if you were mid- Atlantic or Pacific ( but highly unlikely).

Thanks for the info you two. I'd be very interested in this but when I tried to join it asked for my employer's postcode and I'm retired now. Is there another website for people of my delicate years ;)

Were you a civil servant by any chance? If so, you could join the Civil Service Pensioners Association (CSPA), which has a travel insurance scheme that sounds as though it's the same one that the Civil Service Sports Club is offering. The policy is actually operated by AXA Healthcare.

I'm retired but put the postcode of my last employer after being in the same quandary as tartanexile81.

The monthly membership cost is reduced by 10% for pensioners. I wasn't sure if both need to join the cssc as the Travel insurance site doesn't make it clear, just says you can add spouse to your policy

I'm a member but not at retirement age. Though i joined before leaving work. I use my home address. Members can invite people to join (member get member).

There are other perks for being a member, cinema tickets, shopping vouchers, top up cards, English Heritage etc. Your area should also have special offers.

We went on a battlefield tour in April arranged through them.

If you are a pensioner with your pension from one of the designated membership categories, you have to fill in the forms on line and print them off, stating you are retired. You cannot join as a pensioner on line and have to post the forms to CSSC. You do not both have to join for the Insurance but there are other benefits from the membership that you would not be able to share, e.g. visits to English heritage free.

Hope this helps.

I think it was picsa who mentioned it.

It was and I am glad it was helpful to some people.

As mentioned above, membership of the CSSC is open to both current and retired employees but is also open to others through linked membership so anyone who wants to join should be able to.

There are many other benefits, such as discounts on shopping gift cards, you get entry to most English Heritage sites for you and a guest, and you get entry to five of the royal palaces (Tower of London, Hampton Court, Kensington Palace, Hillsborough Castle and Banqueting House) for you and a guest).

And that is before you get to all the sporting events.

Thank you picsa for your original post. I'd never have known about the insurance without it

Thank you Nevleen for the explanation about how to join as a pensioner. Maybe this is something they could highlight on the website. Unfortunately, I joined online using my last employer postcode, but when I received the confirmation email giving my membership number, I did reply asking about the 10% discount for pensioners. No reply as yet, but I only joined yesterday so that's not surprising. Thank you also for confirming that both don't need to join the CSSC to take out the insurance cover. So £275 plus membership at £42.66 is an excellent annual price for a couple with health problems

Well, I'm very impressed with the cssc. I've had an email not only changing my membership to the retired rate, but also acknowledging my suggestion that a note could be added to the website advising pensioners how to apply. This suggestion has been forwarded to the webteam team leader, so hopefully future "mature" applicants won't struggle to join