Anyone done the New Year 5 days cruise

chipsdog

Yes, did this cruise last year. We did it on Arcadia and went to Bruges and Hamburg. It was very foggy most of the time in both Bruges and Hamburg. However there was a day at sea in between and we sat on our balcony with a thin jumper on in lovely sunshine.

New Years Eve was a formal night with a gala dinner which was excellent. We were docked in Hamburg until the early hours of New Years Day, where there were firework displays going off all around.

The food was not great on the other evenings, though I understand that it has improved since.

We enjoyed the cruise, though we did say that we wouldn't do another 'cold weather' cruise.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask

Val

I did the 4 nighter on Ventura last New Years,,Bruges and Amsterdam. We loved it,,best New Years thing we've ever done. Currently trying to decide between the Hamburg one or 5 nights in Spain for this year. It was a great atmosphere on the ship. The only thing that could have made it better is if we had been with family or friends..but it was just the two of us.

What was Hamburg like?

It was mostly closed, I can't remember whether that's because it was a Sunday or because of the holiday. We went to a miniature railway museum (DIY) which was ok but possibly not to everyone's taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was it quaint and medieval or urban and modern? Or both???

Hamburg's a mixture of both. Of course it was heavily bombed during WW2, but some old buildings survived. There's an excellent Hamburg website to whet your appetite, http://www.hamburg.com/ which also gives info about opening times for attractions. Most things are likely to be closed around New Year though.

We are on the Oceana cruise at new year and I was going to ask a similar question as we have never cruised at this time of year before.

Does New Year's Eve differ dramatically from any other formal night in the MDR and will there be other 'special' events going on around the ship?

Edited by zoe sproodle
Should have said 'have never'

New Year is a lot of things to different people, some go for the MDR which on our last years cruise

(4 night Amsterdam Ventura) had a Scottish theme tatties & haggis etc.

Some were having a special meal in the payable venues and others having a meal in the buffet which was nicely spruced up for the occasion.

Some people found a quiet bar whilst others went to the other bars that were lively or went around the atrium which looked the part for a New Years bash.

We tried the same cruise the year before that but due to high winds we spent four days roaming the North Sea but that did not stop us or others enjoying ourselves.

Luck was on our side on our last New year as we docked in Amsterdam and went out on deck to see the fireworks and as been said in other posts, it was cold and misty.

This year we Booked the 5 night Hamburg cruise almost as soon as it came on sale.

Tonight we have booked the same cruise for the year after but on the Oceana .

We think the New year Cruises are good for most people ,there is not a lot to dislike about them.

I found a short film (not mine) of our last New Year cruise and should give you an idea of how they deck the ships out .

As for what the 5 night cruise is like ? I have only done the 4 & 7 nights at New Year but am looking forward

to the 5 nights as well, which I know we will enjoy :)

Edited by kalos

Thanks for sharing that kalos. Just like a normal cruise but with balloons haggis and fireworks - I'm going to enjoy this!

The fireworks in Amsterdam did look amazing from the top deck of Arcadia. I'm tempted to book again myself [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums