Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

And the 'information' she was given was wrong. Just because someone tells you something, that does not in itself become a fact. She should not have posted without a caveat to say that what she had been told was just tittle tattle.

I think you are trying very hard to justify a rip off package.

£58 a day is an obscene amount to pay (and I like a drink) but I can see the link between you drinking in Manchesters most expensive bars and a cruise ship with a captive audience that won't allow alcohol on board bar the 2 bottles of vino.

However lets get real, you wouldn't actually spend that in Manchester, there are cheaper places to drink and you'd buy your own alcohol and drink it in your room / balcony. I really don't get this comparison between 4 star hotels / South east prices etc - normal people on shore just dont stick to a hotel bar day in / out and yet people constantly quote it as some kind of justification.

P&O have things just about right as it is and is the reason we won't be sailing on Celebrity again any time soon.

However its all a matter of choice and I respect that, if you're happy to pay it etc..

I don't need to justify a package. And if you want real I'll produce my receipts from drinking in Manchester. Do you live in Manchester and drink in the city centre?

I'm referring to visiting bars that provide the same level of comfort and style akin to that found on a Celebrity cruise ship, not the local pub. so I would spend that in Manchester, believe me and so I stand by my report that £58 a day for 2 people is not unrealistic when comparing land based prices.

Remember I said that that amount can include non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks too. People seem to forget the amount that they spend on soft drinks, the price of those in a bar are pure rip off on land. That's how bars make money. Go for breakfast at a well known pub chain, the breakfast costs £4.95 each but the total bill for 2 is in excess of £17 due to 2 coffees and orange juices. Now that is obscene. So I will continue to justify a package thank you and get 'real'

I have never seen anyone inebriated on board and the only people I have seen making life difficult by their behaviour are the 'Mrs Bucket' types.

You are lucky. We had quite a frightening experience on Ventura where a very drunk man started having a go at one of the entertainers and security had to be called.

I have never seen anyone inebriated on board and the only people I have seen making life difficult by their behaviour are the 'Mrs Bucket' types.

Unfortunately there are passengers that do not know when to stop. There have been instances where passengers have been removed from the ship because of their behaviour. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

In all our cruises I have seen one man drunk and two woman the same. The man was in a wedding party, not the groom. They dealt with him themselves and one 'lady' on the roulette table who was completely out of it. She was by the way very well dressed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yepp had a very drunk guy on Ventura TA - apparently scuttlebutt said local police had delivered him back on board at Madeira our first stop, then he got very drunk halfway across to the BVI's when he was refused service in the nightclub - serve me or I'll jump he said - no they said - so he jumped.... they gt him 2.5 hrs later alive.... he got thrown off at Tortola after being in sick bay and cabin arrest for 3 days.....

Us too ----- nightmare. There are times when you want to just thrown someone out of the dining room yourself as they are making everyone miserable! Drink had nothing to do with this one .... more like a personality issue.

The booking conditions and contract use the terminology "significant" or "major" changes. I don't think adding a restriction on the amount of alcohol passengers can take aboard would be considered a significant or major change to your holiday package.

I'm playing devils advocate here because while I like a drink I don't drink enough for any ban on carrying it on to bother me however there is a principle at stake here.

People who drink more and have been used to being able to take it onboard with them and booked a cruise on the basis that this was allowed may actually have a case. This may constitute a "significant" change for them and some above on this thread have said they will move on. Add this to the many other small changes that P&O have made after people have booked in the last year (increased tips, charges for room service etc) and it starts to paint a picture - P&0 advertise one thing then just change it as and when they feel like it in spite of the terms that people booked under. It is potentially misleading advertising.

They can change what they like if they think the market place will take it but they can't change it after people have booked under a set of terms and conditions. They need to be thinking 18 months ahead.

People would not stand for this with anything other than a holiday. If I buy a new car that comes with lots of extras but when I go to collect it the garage decides that their policy has changed and I am not now getting my mats, tank of petrol, alloy wheels etc. Contracts can't just change on a one sided basis like that.

Anyway this is all speculative as there has been no official announcement as yet. Perhaps P&O are simply testing the waters by dropping a hint in the right ears to see the reaction.

While it would not stop me cruising with them I think that it was a USP and they will lose customers as once that USP is gone people may branch out and try other lines. Face it their loyalty scheme is dreadful so not worth sticking around for IMO.

I'm playing devils advocate here because while I like a drink I don't drink enough for any ban on carrying it on to bother me however there is a principle at stake here.

People who drink more and have been used to being able to take it onboard with them and booked a cruise on the basis that this was allowed may actually have a case. This may constitute a "significant" change for them and some above on this thread have said they will move on. Add this to the many other small changes that P&O have made after people have booked in the last year (increased tips, charges for room service etc) and it starts to paint a picture - P&0 advertise one thing then just change it as and when they feel like it in spite of the terms that people booked under. It is potentially misleading advertising.

They can change what they like if they think the market place will take it but they can't change it after people have booked under a set of terms and conditions. They need to be thinking 18 months ahead.

People would not stand for this with anything other than a holiday. If I buy a new car that comes with lots of extras but when I go to collect it the garage decides that their policy has changed and I am not now getting my mats, tank of petrol, alloy wheels etc. Contracts can't just change on a one sided basis like that.

Anyway this is all speculative as there has been no official announcement as yet. Perhaps P&O are simply testing the waters by dropping a hint in the right ears to see the reaction.

While it would not stop me cruising with them I think that it was a USP and they will lose customers as once that USP is gone people may branch out and try other lines. Face it their loyalty scheme is dreadful so not worth sticking around for IMO.

Some people abuse the leniency of P&O regarding how much alcohol they can bring on board which has the potential to spoil it for everyone.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

And the 'information' she was given was wrong. Just because someone tells you something, that does not in itself become a fact. She should not have posted without a caveat to say that what she had been told was just tittle tattle.

It wasn't tittle tattle and I believe is due to be implemented next April.

It wasn't tittle tattle and I believe is due to be implemented next April.

Maybe that's when all the loyalty changes will kick in, and perhaps drinks packages will be introduced. I was told at the end if last year they would happen after the worldies - I just never reckoned on 2018 [emoji3] If Dai's info is right there may be an announcement in Nov.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe that's when all the loyalty changes will kick in, and perhaps drinks packages will be introduced. I was told at the end if last year they would happen after the worldies - I just never reckoned on 2018 [emoji3] If Dai's info is right there may be an announcement in Nov.

Lets see if the speculation comes true in November or whenever.

Royal Carribbean are making a big deal about their free drinks packages at the moment but they have raised their prices a lot to cover this so you are paying for it whether you drink a little or a lot.

Lets see if the speculation comes true in November or whenever.

Royal Carribbean are making a big deal about their free drinks packages at the moment but they have raised their prices a lot to cover this so you are paying for it whether you drink a little or a lot.

Yes it's all about marketing.

''Hi Howard, we are sorry for any confusion this may have caused however at present we have no plans to change this''

This is the official answer I got from P&O today when I asked if they were going to change their policy regarding taking drinks onboard. Basically Florry, the official response does not tally with your assertion.

''Hi Howard, we are sorry for any confusion this may have caused however at present we have no plans to change this''

This is the official answer I got from P&O today when I asked if they were going to change their policy regarding taking drinks onboard. Basically Florry, the official response does not tally with your assertion.

Surely that is the only answer they can give you.

Even if they are planning to make a statement at a later date they must stick with the situation 'at present'.

Surely that is the only answer they can give you.

Even if they are planning to make a statement at a later date they must stick with the situation 'at present'.

Exactly.

I don't know whether they will stop alcohol being taken on board and it's just speculation as to whether they introduce a drinks package and potentially align it to the launch of the new Loyalty benefits.

What we do know is that P&O are changing the loyalty benefits.

In my view, Carnival Corporation is looking to reach higher alcohol sales targets on board their P&O UK ships and stop pax binging their own booze on or restricting it to one bottle of wine or champers pp at embarkation only, not at ports of call. Like Princess does, with $15 corkage on each excess bottle.

P&O Australia does not permit any booze to be brought on board.

I believe this is the way it is going to be for all Carnival brands.:evilsmile:

Having done a few cruises with P&O UK now, we do like the fact that we can bring a few wines on, but we still purchase a bottle of wine each night in the MDR.

In my view, Carnival Corporation is looking to reach higher alcohol sales targets on board their P&O UK ships and stop pax binging their own booze on or restricting it to one bottle of wine or champers pp at embarkation only, not at ports of call. Like Princess does, with $15 corkage on each excess bottle.

P&O Australia does not permit any booze to be brought on board.

I believe this is the way it is going to be for all Carnival brands.:evilsmile:

Having done a few cruises with P&O UK now, we do like the fact that we can bring a few wines on, but we still purchase a bottle of wine each night in the MDR.

Spot on comments.

P&O have been very amenable to people letting them bring lots of alcohol on board and people have taken massive advantage.

P&O bar prices have always been reasonable and my only concern is they will hike their bar prices if they have a captive audience and a monopoly on price like RC where you are allowed only 1 bottle of wine at embarkation.

I don't need to justify a package. And if you want real I'll produce my receipts from drinking in Manchester. Do you live in Manchester and drink in the city centre?

I'm referring to visiting bars that provide the same level of comfort and style akin to that found on a Celebrity cruise ship, not the local pub. so I would spend that in Manchester, believe me and so I stand by my report that £58 a day for 2 people is not unrealistic when comparing land based prices.

Remember I said that that amount can include non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks too. People seem to forget the amount that they spend on soft drinks, the price of those in a bar are pure rip off on land. That's how bars make money. Go for breakfast at a well known pub chain, the breakfast costs £4.95 each but the total bill for 2 is in excess of £17 due to 2 coffees and orange juices. Now that is obscene. So I will continue to justify a package thank you and get 'real'

I'm in the South but have visited London. Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool in the last year or so.

Where do you pay £4.95 for a can of beer .....complete nonsense unless of course its your hotel bar yet you can pay £1.99 around the corner..

Different people have different budgets but you seem quite removed from reality if you think £58 a day on drinks is justified.....Do you just sit in your 4 star hotel and pay their prices or pop out to the real world where most people live when visiting a City.

You are a captive audience on a ship. P&O accept this so allow people to bring drinks on board but suggesting 2 weeks in Manchester is comparible to 2 weeks on a ship is laughable.

Edited by doog442

I'm in the South but have visited London. Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool in the last year or so.

Where do you pay £4.95 for a can of beer .....complete nonsense unless of course its your hotel bar yet you can pay £1.99 around the corner..

Different people have different budgets but you seem quite removed from reality if you think £58 a day on drinks is justified.....Do you just sit in your 4 star hotel and pay their prices or pop out to the real world where most people live when visiting a City.

You are a captive audience on a ship. P&O accept this so allow people to bring drinks on board but suggesting 2 weeks in Manchester is comparible to 2 weeks on a ship is laughable.

I don't frequent city centre pubs in Sunderland or Newcastle but the bottled Peroni in restaurants is regularly around the £4 mark.