Just got off Victory

tampabay25690

Just wanted to give you my opinion on the Carnival Victory that I just got off of.

We got on the boat on Oct 20th for the 3 Night 4 day cruise.

This is my 8th cruise taken, this April I was able to take Celebrity cruise line.

Well all I have to say was YIKES, out of the 8 times I have cruised this was by far the worst experience I ever had. I thought service was very bad all around. Not sure if because the quick cruise or not. We felt like the staff just wanted to get you on and off as fast as they could.

Food was fair at best, buffets reminded me of a Golden Corral and the dinner menus were very poor.

Just my opinion and Im sure others had a great experience. I just expected more from Carnival.

Just wanted to give you my opinion on the Carnival Victory that I just got off of.

This is my 8th cruise taken, this April I was able to take Celebrity cruise line.

Well all I have to say was YIKES, out of the 8 times I have cruised this was by far the worst experience I ever had. I thought service was very bad all around. Not sure if because the quick cruise or not. We felt like the staff just wanted to get you on and off as fast as they could.

Food was fair at best, buffets reminded me of a Golden Corral and the dinner menus were very poor.

Just my opinion and Im sure others had a great experience. I just expected more from Carnival.

Thanks for your opinion. I think that in comparing Carnival to Celebrity, you have to take into account that Celebrity costs more in general. It is good to know going into a Carnival cruise that you will not get a Celebrity experience. It is like comparing a banana to an orange. If this is your first Carnival experience, then you might also want to try a 7 or 8 day cruise. They tend to be a bit more relaxed than the shorter cruises. I did a 5 day on Victory last year, but did enjoy that cruise very much, and as much as my longer cruises, and noticed no difference in the crew attitude from the longer cruises. Carnival crew has always been excellent in my opinion.

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise.

Edited by SMSACE6

Our first cruise on Carnival was on the Destiny for 7 days. We loved it! We have done only 7+ day cruises since then with the exception of one cruise.

We sailed Destiny again on a 5 day cruise, and it was a completely different atmosphere. More partying, more loud groups "taking over" certain venues, etc...

I think this happens more on a lot of shorter cruises based on what I've read. I would recommend 7 or more days, and you will probably notice a difference. We love Carnival's newer ships and the 7 day itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Surely you paid more for your Celebrity cruise. There are reasons for that.

Service, however, should be good all around - regardless of the cruiseline, or length of cruise. Sorry to hear you found it lacking.

We (age 74 and 70) will be taking our first Carnival cruise in January. It is a four (4) day, but weekdays rather than a weekend. We are going with our children and grandchildren and we needed something in our price range. We are not expecting an Oceania-like experience; hopefully we are going without any expectations. We did book a balcony so if the masses get too overwhelming we can retreat, hopefully, to our private outdoor space.

Okay, now to my question - Is there a specialty steakhouse on the Victory? We are hoping to have a double birthday celebration while on board and a steakhouse dinner would be perfect. We don't mind paying for such an extra.

Thanks for your help.

We (age 74 and 70) will be taking our first Carnival cruise in January. It is a four (4) day, but weekdays rather than a weekend. We are going with our children and grandchildren and we needed something in our price range. We are not expecting an Oceania-like experience; hopefully we are going without any expectations. We did book a balcony so if the masses get too overwhelming we can retreat, hopefully, to our private outdoor space.

Okay, now to my question - Is there a specialty steakhouse on the Victory? We are hoping to have a double birthday celebration while on board and a steakhouse dinner would be perfect. We don't mind paying for such an extra.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry - no steakhouse. And no Guy's burger joint, either

We were generally pleased with our cruise on Victory a while back, but I DO have to say that the ship is sorely lacking in specialty eateries, either complimentary or fee-added.

Back then the ship was also in need of cosmetic work, but I think that's been remedied in the years since our cruise.

Thanks for your opinion. I think that in comparing Carnival to Celebrity, you have to take into account that Celebrity costs more in general. It is good to know going into a Carnival cruise that you will not get a Celebrity experience. It is like comparing a banana to an orange. If this is your first Carnival experience, then you might also want to try a 7 or 8 day cruise. They tend to be a bit more relaxed than the shorter cruises. I did a 5 day on Victory last year, but did enjoy that cruise very much, and as much as my longer cruises, and noticed no difference in the crew attitude from the longer cruises. Carnival crew has always been excellent in my opinion.

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise.

Not comparing Celebrity to Carnival at all that's like comparing a Cadillac to a Malibu. This is my 4th Carnival cruise. Just thought food and service was very poor compared to what I experienced in the past.

I enjoyed but I got what I paid for I guess.

Hmmm....last time we sailed Victory was 4-years ago. And it was a 7-night cruise out of San Juan - we thought it was very good all around. Either she's slipped or it was the short itinerary......

I took Victory out of San Juan as well.

Overall it was a good cruise.

Think its the short ones that the effort isn't as great as a 7 day.

Our first cruise on Carnival was on the Destiny for 7 days. We loved it! We have done only 7+ day cruises since then with the exception of one cruise.

We sailed Destiny again on a 5 day cruise, and it was a completely different atmosphere. More partying, more loud groups "taking over" certain venues, etc...

I think this happens more on a lot of shorter cruises based on what I've read. I would recommend 7 or more days, and you will probably notice a difference. We love Carnival's newer ships and the 7 day itineraries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree been on 7 days with Carnival before and it was great. 1st time I ever took a 3 night and was totally different the way you are treated and food quality.

I do want to take a newer ship...

Thanks for advice

Surely you paid more for your Celebrity cruise. There are reasons for that.

Service, however, should be good all around - regardless of the cruiseline, or length of cruise. Sorry to hear you found it lacking.

Believe it or not cost for celebrity was not bad at all.

Included a lot but was a 7 nite out of San Juan. Included, bar package, grats, and $250 credit...

But overall paid about $1000.00 more...

yes you are right service should be there no matter what cruise you take.

Thanks for your help.

No steakhouse on ship but you can UPGRADE at dinner for a higher quality food for an additional $20.00

Surf and Turf

NY Strip

Lobster Tail

I did twice add a 8 oz Tail to my dinner because of menu.

Hope that helps...

Enjoy

Good cruise to take the grand children, get chairs near the slide and they will be thrilled.

I agree been on 7 days with Carnival before and it was great. 1st time I ever took a 3 night and was totally different the way you are treated and food quality.

I do want to take a newer ship...

Thanks for advice

While most of our cruises are 6 days or longer, that said, I cannot say I noticed and difference in the service or the food in shorter cruises, but that's just me, YOMV

Not comparing Celebrity to Carnival at all that's like comparing a Cadillac to a Malibu. This is my 4th Carnival cruise. Just thought food and service was very poor compared to what I experienced in the past.

I enjoyed but I got what I paid for I guess.

well then I would say things were not up to scratch. In fact I will say that my most recent cruise on Splendor, a 6 day, was not quite as good as what I have been used to in the past (7 prior Carnival cruises). Mine was not at all a bad cruise, just several minor things, that added up to make my cruise less than fully enjoyed. So, yes of course things can be not up to scratch at times. Now, knowing that you had previously experienced Carnival vs Celebrity, I can better appreciate your review. Sorry, did not mean to come off sounding patronising. I have been on one Celebrity cruise and it was in many ways wayyyyy wayyyy tops over Carnival, but it also costed mucho more bucks at the time. Have not been able to afford them since, since I now cruise solo mostly. Thanks again for your review.

well then I would say things were not up to scratch. In fact I will say that my most recent cruise on Splendor, a 6 day, was not quite as good as what I have been used to in the past (7 prior Carnival cruises). Mine was not at all a bad cruise, just several minor things, that added up to make my cruise less than fully enjoyed. So, yes of course things can be not up to scratch at times. Now, knowing that you had previously experienced Carnival vs Celebrity, I can better appreciate your review. Sorry, did not mean to come off sounding patronising. I have been on one Celebrity cruise and it was in many ways wayyyyy wayyyy tops over Carnival, but it also costed mucho more bucks at the time. Have not been able to afford them since, since I now cruise solo mostly. Thanks again for your review.

Yea it happens.

I will take Carnival again, just wasn't up to expectations at all.

But this is the very 1st time we ever took a 3 Night cruise.

I think the Newer ships is the way to go for us.

Yea Celebrity is not even in same class, I like all cruises to be honest they all bring different things to the table.

To me in Service 101 just be polite, or even smile to the customer and they will take care of you in return.

Try a newer ship, Victory is an old clunker.

Carnival not for everybody........ Just stick to what make you happy!!

Beer, wine or champagne.......

True, but I like beer, wine and champagne! as well as a few of those frou frou, coconutty, rummy, drinks with umbrellas:D,

will always love Carnival. Going to try something new though.;)

Hopefully Carnival will take a look at this thread. When we did the Victory in early 2014, she needed some updating, but the staff was excellent. Perhaps they need to take a look at who is running things there and the combination of personalities - that can have an effect.