Smoking on Balconies FYI

lovelife

Just wanted to share an issue on my Oasis 10/22 sailing that has had me "fuming" ever since. The person in the cabin below ours smoked the entire cruise whenever he pleased even after several "supposed" warnings. He flicked his ashes and cigarette butts over the rail and smoked at all hours. I can't imagine how many surrounding guests must have complained. During my final call to Guest Services on day six I was told, "Don't YOU worry about it" (in other words, don't bother us again with this issue). We could not enjoy our grand suite balcony with smoke drifting up at all hours.

Guest Services' indifference to this situation was alarming and I communicated my concerns to Mr. Bayley upon my return. I received the standard call from his office stating he takes these matters seriously, yada, yada, yada. I was advised there is no clear policy on how many warnings a guest may receive before any action is taken. She said they can be fined $250 but was not at liberty to tell me if any action at all was taken regarding this guest's flagrant violation of the smoking policy.

Another policy they don't enforce -- I shouldn't be surprised.

Just wanted to share an issue on my Oasis 10/22 sailing that has had me "fuming" ever since. The person in the cabin below ours smoked the entire cruise whenever he pleased even after several "supposed" warnings. He flicked his ashes and cigarette butts over the rail and smoked at all hours. I can't imagine how many surrounding guests must have complained. During my final call to Guest Services on day six I was told, "Don't YOU worry about it" (in other words, don't bother us again with this issue). We could not enjoy our grand suite balcony with smoke drifting up at all hours.

Guest Services' indifference to this situation was alarming and I communicated my concerns to Mr. Bayley upon my return. I received the standard call from his office stating he takes these matters seriously, yada, yada, yada. I was advised there is no clear policy on how many warnings a guest may receive before any action is taken. She said they can be fined $250 but was not at liberty to tell me if any action at all was taken regarding this guest's flagrant violation of the smoking policy.

Why would you want to know if they were fined? Would you have felt better if you knew they had to pay a fine? In that case they maybe should have just told you they fined them to make you feel better;)

Honestly IMO it´s None of your Business to know if they were fined or not. It´s between them and RCI.

We'd be PO also and especially the don't you worry about it comment by GSs'. I would have requested to speak to the Hotel Director because GSs' wasn't getting the job done long before day six. I always was under the impression first warning verbal, second warning a $250.00 fine and then...possibly I'm wrong.

Edited by davekathy

Why would you want to know if they were fined? Would you have felt better if you knew they had to pay a fine? In that case they maybe should have just told you they fined them to make you feel better;)

Honestly IMO it´s None of your Business to know if they were fined or not. It´s between them and RCI.

Wow. I didn't want to know if he was fined. She offered that info.

But, it is his business they didn't stop him from doing so, and I suppose knowing the man was told and was fined would have at least said the staff tried their best to make him stop. It is rude to smoke on your balcony unless you are doing it at 3 am, never mind flicking the ashes and butts. We had someone dump water somewhere above us and it rained on our balcony. If someone is rude enough to smoke where they aren't supposed to, I will be rude enough to call them on it. At the very least use an e-cig on the balcony.

It is rude to smoke on your balcony unless you are doing it at 3 am, never mind flicking the ashes and butts.

WRONG!!

At the very least use an e-cig on the balcony.

WRONG!!

SMOKING is not permitted on balconies period, E Cig or otherwise, no matter the hour.

End of Story

I can't tell you the number of cruises where we haven't been able to use our balcony because of a smoker. DD has asthma, and is severely affected by cigarette smoke. Haven't seen results from ANY of our complaints. Smoking continued on each and every cruise. Royal doesn't care.

Love life, I am so sorry that your complaints were not heeded. That's inexcusable. No one should be smoking on their balconies. We ran into that issue on our Jewel TA and I called down to Guest Services and told them exactly where the offending cabin was. Luckily I could see the person from our GS. They said they'd take care of it. 25 minutes later the person lit up another cigarette. I called again and within minutes they sent up two security people who asked to come out on my balcony so they could see. They went downstairs and told the person to refrain from smoking on their balcony. I got a follow up call from Guest Services telling me it would no longer be a problem and it wasn't. There were no further issues for the rest of the cruise. I'm sorry that Guest Services on Oasis didn't give you the same resolution that we got on the Jewel. If I were you I would not let the matter drop with Royal Caribbean. It's not right to spend good money on a GS and be denied enjoyment of it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Then the following consequence should definitely be done to you both. :D

From RCI web site.

Smoking is not permitted inside any stateroom and any stateroom balcony. This applies to all stateroom categories onboard. If a guest is in violation of this stateroom policy, a cleaning fee of $250 USD will be applied to their SeaPass® account and may be subject to further action pursuant to the "Consequences Section" of the Guest Conduct Policy.

The latter includes

Removal from a ship at the next port of call. Guests removed from a Royal Caribbean International ship pursuant to this policy, are responsible for their own accommodations and transportation home, at their expense. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest's home country are also the responsibility of the guest. :eek:

You are too kind!!!!

You are too kind!!!!

Yes, I do believe that I am if some one really has that type of attitude re smoking on their balcony to the detriment and lack of consideration of all other around them. :D

I also suspect the poster postmeome is being facetious in his post. :p

The smoke issue wouldn't particularly bother me, but the reason smoking is banned I would imagine is because of the safety issue. Fire on a ship is one of the worst incidences possible.

I had a problem on a cruise last year and reported it to the reception desk. The girl on the desk asked me to speak to the reception manager. I insisted on speaking to the health and safety officer. I know he had written a report as I followed it up on my return home.

But, it is his business they didn't stop him from doing so, and I suppose knowing the man was told and was fined would have at least said the staff tried their best to make him stop. It is rude to smoke on your balcony unless you are doing it at 3 am, never mind flicking the ashes and butts. We had someone dump water somewhere above us and it rained on our balcony. If someone is rude enough to smoke where they aren't supposed to, I will be rude enough to call them on it. At the very least use an e-cig on the balcony.

You can't be serious about the 3 AM and the e-cigarette comment are you!?

Edited by davekathy

We also had smokers on both sides of us on one cruise. Every time we opened up our balcony door the smoke was sucked into our cabin. We went through the complaint channels and ended up having an air purifier placed in our room for several hours, however the smoking continued. By mid week we stopped using our balcony because the smoking continued. We therefore no longer book balcony cabins.:mad:

We also recently reminded a smoker he was on the no smoking side of the deck so what did he do???.... Flick the lit cigarette overboard!!! :eek:

If you were in a cabin next to me and I could not use my balcony because of your smoking , I would explain that I become ill due to smoke and would have my trip ruined if you persisted. Then I would report you every day you ruined my cruise. - which would run more than your gratuities would cost. It is not about the smoking for me . What you do with your life is your choice. It is about me becoming ill because of someone not following the rules. I choose to go on non-smoking cruise lines and fortunately most cruise lines are now non -smoking. This post is not meant to be mean or nasty . Just an advice as to what some might do if effected by your smoke.

You wasted all this time over a joke? :cool:

Maybe it's time to turn the tapes on this issue. If Royal doesn't enforce the $250 fine on blatant offenders that are given warnings & the smoking continues throughout the entire cruise, then maybe we should deduct $250 from our gratituties for being inconvenienced in such a way that that ruined a costly balcony experience... Maybe that will get Royal to enforce the non smoking on balconies if enough people do it.

:eek:

Edited by ObstructedView2

Time for Royal to go non smoking...

It will never happen on the Chinese and Asian itineraries.

Expect smoking being permitted ship wide when based there when Royal are eventually challenged by local operators ships offering this 'benefit'.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Maybe it's time to turn the tapes on this issue. If Royal doesn't enforce the $250 fine on blatant offenders that are given warnings & the smoking continues throughout the entire cruise, then maybe we should deduct $250 from our gratituties for being inconvenienced in such a way that that ruined a costly balcony experience... Maybe that will get Royal to enforce the non smoking on balconies if enough people do it.

:eek:

If you really think this would tell RCI anything I have an ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

RCI wouldn´t care if you stiff the crew. Not that they would care anyway, but how would they even know your reason for stiffing the crew?

If they thought they´d Need to make sure nobody is stiffing the crew, do your really think enforcing the Smoking rules would be their Approach to a tipping Problem? They would start to make it a mandatory Service fee, but not enforce a totally unrelated rule.