A wonderful week on the Ruby, Mexican Riviera 4/7 - 4/14

CineGraphic

This was our first time visiting the Mexican Riviera, as we normally cruise the Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale. Embarkation was a breeze, and being platinum, we were amongst the first to board.

The cabins weren't ready yet, but we were able to leave our carry-on bags in the cabin while we explored the ship and have lunch in the main dining room.

A sign at the passenger services desk noted that the ship was full and that no upgrades were available.

The passenger breakdown was 1800 blue cards, 616 gold, 194 ruby, 439 platinum, and 233 elite.

In several threads here, members have written how they dislike the pushy east coast folks when sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, but my wife and I couldn't help but notice that the folks on this cruise were much louder, and at times more demanding than what I've previously experienced on any cruise out of Florida. Door slammers, congregating in the hallways in the early morning and late evenings to make plans for the day/next morning, interrupting the waitstaff while they are attending to others, etc. This of course was not the case for everyone, but it was enough for both of us to notice.

The ship is in fine condition, and the staff was very friendly and attentive.

This was our first time in an inside cabin, and we weren't sure if we were going to like it.

The first night we left the bathroom light on, otherwise our cabin would have been pitch black, but thanks to the advice of one of the officers we befriended, for the rest of the cruise, we'd leave the tv on with the bridge cam showing. As the sun rose, the light increased in our cabin, a perfect way to wake up each morning.

Our room steward was attentive and more than happy to accommodate our few special requests.

We started each morning with a stop at the International Cafe, followed by breakfast in the dining room. We don't mind buffets, but the dining room is much more civilized and relaxing. We'd sit in the same section every morning. Our wonderful waitress, Kateryna, quickly memorized our preferences. We also enjoyed lunch in the dining room if we weren't in port.

For dinner, we had anytime dining. We'd always show up shortly after 7:30pm and never had to wait for a table for two.

Vines held a wine blending seminar featuring 100% varietals from Silverado Vineyards in Napa Valley, and it was well worth the price. I highly recommend this to anyone with the slightest interest in wine. It's not your average tasting, you get to blend your own wine. The staff spoiled us with fruits and cheeses, and said that we could stay at our large table decorated with rose petals all night if we cared to.

Dinner at the Crown Grill was really good, as usual. Not great, but really good.

We did not attend any of the shows, but we heard great things about the production shows and comedians.

Thanks to a very special friend, we were invited to the bridge on our last full sea day. The water that day was rough enough to force all pools to be closed, which made the visit a bit of a thrill ride, but the view from there is amazing. We even "borrowed" the captain's hat for a few pics.

There was a lot less "junk mail" in our mailbox compared to past cruises. Hopefully this was not just a one-off. I hate seeing so much paper being wasted touting the endless Effy unveilings and art auction champagne receptions.

All of the ports were new to us, and the weather was perfect. Mazatlan was our favorite stop, due to our booking a delightful excursion directly with Maria's happy Horses on Stone Island. My wife now wants to retire early and move to Stone Island. Our least favorite stop was Cabo. Waaaay too many vendors trying to drum up business. I was so tired of saying, "no", that we went back to the ship.

IMG_2892.JPG.7f56fc59c28f454bf6d7f5231ded23c4.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG.fbcf6046ce16bd0aebf7e9f78e7a3219.JPG

Thanks for the great review!!

I was just looking into these cruises so it was great to read about your week and thought compared to leaving out of Fort Lauderdale.

Normally we drive or fly into FLL, so this was quite a bit different.

We flew in the day before and had a luxury SUV waiting for us at LAX to take us to our hotel in Long Beach. (Westin)

After walking around town to pick up some champagne and wine, we took an Uber to an early dinner, because our stomachs were still on Eastern Standard Time.

The next morning, we had breakfast at a wonderful crepe joint around the corner and then made our way to the port.

For debarkation, we were in the first walk off group, and our car was once again waiting for us. We made it to LAX in about 30 minutes, only to find out that our 11:15 flight was delayed.

We flew in the day before and had a luxury SUV waiting for us at LAX to take us to our hotel in Long Beach. (Westin)

After walking around town to pick up some champagne and wine, we took an Uber to an early dinner, because our stomachs were still on Eastern Standard Time.

The next morning, we had breakfast at a wonderful crepe joint around the corner and then made our way to the port.

For debarkation, we were in the first walk off group, and our car was once again waiting for us. We made it to LAX in about 30 minutes, only to find out that our 11:15 flight was delayed.

That sounds great! Thanks so much for the info.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading your comments, very much. Thank you for taking the time.

In several threads here, members have written how they dislike the pushy east coast folks when sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, but my wife and I couldn't help but notice that the folks on this cruise were much louder, and at times more demanding than what I've previously experienced on any cruise out of Florida. Door slammers, congregating in the hallways in the early morning and late evenings to make plans for the day/next morning, interrupting the waitstaff while they are attending to others, etc. This of course was not the case for everyone, but it was enough for both of us to notice.

As a regular west coast cruiser, I confess that it happens. Please accept this west coaster's apology. I'm going to generalize, here, and that is, of course, never a good idea. I think you might enjoy your fellow passengers on a different itinerary.

Long Beach is a great place for out-of-towners to spend the night prior to a cruise out of San Pedro--several very nice hotels, easy cab ride to the port, many excellent dining and entertainment options within walking distance. My wife gave me some interesting news the other day. The Sky Room, an outstanding restaurant located right across the street from the Westin, is closing for two years due to building restoration and remodeling.