What's in a name? (For Cunard's new ship)

koliviera45

Guest SilverHengroen

If they’re going to be stretching the Koningsdam design (which would be consistent with the cunarder being 113,000gt vs koningsdam’s 99,500gt) then I wonder if they might ditch at least one or two of the stack of cabin decks at the front as the extra length will allow them to include more cabins in the design anyway - they have repeatedly stressed this is only a preliminary rendering so far (and probably based on Koningsdam as the designs for the new cunarder don’t exist yet)

• 3 months later...

Since 1066 England has had two Queen Marys, two Queen Elizabeths, one Victoria, one Anne plus a Jane and finally a Matilda as queens regent rather than Queens consort. Scotland has one Mary, Ireland none and Wales is a Principality so no kings or queens.

Weeding it down Jane was only queen for a 9 days and usurped the crown from Mary I anyway, Matilda could qualify because she did rule for a time when she was getting the better of King Stephen but ultimately Stephen won and the name Matildais a little suspect anyway as she also gets called Queen Maude.

That leaves Queen Anne she was the younger sister of Queen Mary II so it would be very apt to name the ship after her.

Someone on another thread cleverly noted that the four forward suites on Deck 10 of QM2 are named: Queen Mary, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Anne.

Based on the fact the other three ship names already apply to vessels still used today, Queen Anne certainly does seem the likely choice based on this observation.

Until Camilla decides at the naming ceremony to name it after herself. It's happened before (Queen Mary thought herself England's most loved queen and so we got RMS Queen Mary instead of RMS Queen Victoria).

Queen Anne seems a very likely and worthy name.

Regarding Camilla Duchess of Cornwall at the time of their wedding in 2005, it was announced that upon the Prince of Wales’s accession to the throne, Camilla would take on the title of HRH The Princess Consort instead of the traditional title of HM The Queen. Primarily taken to quell the hostility to the couple, it was a message that went widely unchallenged by the then ambivalent press and public, with many asserting it to be the right move. Ten years on Clarence House’s position persists: Camilla will become Princess Consort, not Queen.

Time will tell.

Takes a lot of squinting (and it causes terrible wrinkles don't you know) to imagine attaching some bona fide British Royal connection to an American-owned, Italian-built, mostly Filipino-crewed, Bermuda-registered cruise ship. So she may be named "Queen Something or Rather" but surely the days of trotting out the Royal Family to christen Cunarders is long passed.

The obvious name is... QUEEN OF BERMUDA

Guest SilverHengroen
Takes a lot of squinting (and it causes terrible wrinkles don't you know) to imagine attaching some bona fide British Royal connection to an American-owned, Italian-built, mostly Filipino-crewed, Bermuda-registered cruise ship. So she may be named "Queen Something or Rather" but surely the days of trotting out the Royal Family to christen Cunarders is long passed.

The obvious name is... QUEEN OF BERMUDA

Carnival is an Anglo-American company, so the ship is at least half British owned. Carnival UK is the British operating arm of the company and is in charge of Cunard. The ships officers are largely British and we don’t yet know where the ship will be registered - P&Os Britannia is UK registered so it’s not out of the question the new Cunarder will have Southampton on her stern when she enters service. But don’t let that get in the way of a good Brit bashing narrative will you :o

Oh please.... Cunard is no more "British" than Holland America Line is "Dutch" or Costa is "Italian". They are all ultimately owned, financed and managed in Miami USA by Arnold W. Donald (American). It has nothing to do with "bashing" any nationality merely stating the fact that nationality is meaningless with a global operation of 100 ships run by 10 "brands". In the end, it's still Carnival. Sadly, the day of true national lines are over. And that is to be mourned. But it's no reason to be bamboozled, either.

Edited by kohl57

Guest SilverHengroen
Oh please.... Cunard is no more "British" than Holland America Line is "Dutch" or Costa is "Italian". They are all ultimately owned, financed and managed in Miami USA by Arnold W. Donald (American). It has nothing to do with "bashing" any nationality merely stating the fact that nationality is meaningless with a global operation of 100 ships run by 10 "brands". In the end, it's still Carnival. Sadly, the day of true national lines are over. And that is to be mourned. But it's no reason to be bamboozled, either.

But that’s just it, you don’t understand Carnival’s structure so you’re stating unintentionally false facts. Go back and read my post again. Carnival is a company, actually remarkably like Cunard-White Star - the assets are all owned partly by two separate companies, it’s just in this case they are both called ‘Carnival’. One of the two companies (Carnival plc; née P&O Princess cruises plc) is a British company headquartered in Southampton, with its own set of shareholders, it is co-equal and in no way subservient to Carnival corporation. Carnival UK is the British operating arm of Carnival, and is jointly owned by both the plc and the corporation. It is based in Southampton and has full operational control of Cunard.

Having seen the picture of the possible new ship for the first time here I would have to suggest the most appropriate name as being Queen Cleopatra, after all she did have her hand in the death of three of her siblings !

The really should " rethink" if they are not giving her a propper prommenade deck...! THAT WAS/ IS KIND OF A TRADEMARK FOR CUNARD!

The one responsible for planing a Cunard Ship without a propper prommenade along with deck chairs should be fired on the spot!

I can see the 4th ship doing transatlantic crossing during the time period of the Queen Mary 2 world cruise or maybe the Victoria doing transatlantic sailings and the new ship doing a world cruise with 3 ships doing world cruise.

After having been on winter North Atlantic crossings on the QM2 with Beaufort scale force 10 & 11 winds and the accompanying very high waves, there is no way that I would even consider doing this on either of the current baby Queens or a stretched Koningsdam design cruise ship. They may be fine for an occational relocation crossing, but certainly not for regularly scheduled NY-Southampton crossings with bad weather.

After having been on winter North Atlantic crossings on the QM2 with Beaufort scale force 10 & 11 winds and the accompanying very high waves, there is no way that I would even consider doing this on either of the current baby Queens or a stretched Koningsdam design cruise ship. They may be fine for an occational relocation crossing, but certainly not for regularly scheduled NY-Southampton crossings with bad weather.

Hello, the only current Cunard ship capable of doing regular Trans-Atlantic crossings is Queen Mary 2; she as built to liner standards with a double hull and extra strong to be able to cross the Atlantic on a regular basis. Hence the huge expense in building her. All other cruise ships, including the current Cunard ships, would not be able to cope with the stains and stresses such regular crossing put on their superstructures. Assuming Cunard/Carnival Corporation go for yet another couple of cheaper 'cookie cutter' off the yard ships similar to QV & QE then IMO it is unlikely that we will see them on regular trans Atlantics.

IMO the new ships will be targeted at the super expanding Chinese/Far East markets & Australia.

• 1 month later...

So P&O have named their new ship after a Scottish Island famed for its graveyard “Iona”, a curious choice me thinks - One wonders if the new Cunard ship will therefore be called RMS Brompton Cemetery where it’s founder is buried....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So P&O have named their new ship after a Scottish Island famed for its graveyard “Iona”, a curious choice me thinks

The island is rather more famous for the Abbey, and that's where most visitors go. It is one of the earliest Christian settlements in the UK.

John Smith, the former Labour leader is buried in a nondescript lair in the cemetery. Very easy to miss.

Stewart

Stumbled across this on a list of new ships being built! The list looks accurate to me and I approve of the new name if correct... I wonder if Cunard are aware of this report?? Sorry can’t embed image so see attached file

Very interesting scoop. Thank for the heads up. I haven't heard of AMEM before, but their web site shows they are "Austrian Marine Equipment Manufacturers". They offer their document "AMEM Cruise Ships on Order 2016-2027" as a free download on their web site, so I figure providing this link to the full document here should be ok.

AMEM Cruise Ships on Order 2016-2027

And here is your attachment as an inline image showing the relevant page for direct viewing in a browser.

attachment.php?attachmentid=422423&d=1527620131

I have no way of judging the validity of this information, but it certainly is intriguing. Perhaps others here can weigh in as to whether this is just speculation or an authoritative source.

Edited by bluemarble

My impression is that Cunard is far more British than Holland America is Dutch. I don't doubt that all major decisions are made by Carnival in the U.S., but Cunard appears to be substantially managed from Southampton. Unless I have mis-read the brochures and on-line information, Holland America's head office is in Seattle. I found HAL to be very American - not just because of the ghastly way they serve tea. Even on our first HAL cruise in 1974, long before the Carnival takeover, it seemed very American.

It was often said that Cunard was not as "British" as many other British lines - a sort of mid-Atlantic style many said. After a few Cunard crossings we had voyages on Union-Castle and P&O and noticed a big difference - mostly favourable to my taste.

Well.. yes. Holland AMERICA Line has always been well, American centric... always has been. And always centered on the very strong links between the Netherlands and America. Indeed, Seattle has a large Dutch expat community, always has. So much of the line's on board aspects are American. But this is hardly due to its being owned by Carnival, it was so long long before. The Dutch rather seamlessly blend into other countries anyway: it's a little secret that the two foreign countries that still own more real estate and companies in the U.S.A. remain... the Netherlands and Britain.

Cunard has always been more nationally centric. And Carnival certainly trades on its "Britishness" however genuine that is nowadays. But it's certainly more British than HAL is Dutch and the new HAL seems to be removing a lot of the Dutch touches of late anyway. Cunard still knows what a fish knife and fork is, to serve tea with milk, to have a substantial (and wonderful!) breakfast menu etc. And, of course, the passengers are at least 50% British on most cruises and crossings or seem to be from my experience. Roundtrip cruises from the UK, it's more like 80%. So it sounds British. You'd hard pressed to hear Dutch spoken on HAL although on my last cruise with them there was actually a large Dutch contingent aboard.

But my original point remains that the whole Carnival Empire, no matter the machinations and the marketing, is still ultimately controlled from Miami, Florida. Which is why the new "Cunarder" is really a retread of a "Holland America" design and both are really just Carnival in the end. And why Carnival must love people being fixated on what its name will be or what Royal, if any, will christen it.