Is cruising value for money?

AppyAmmer

My basic thing is, if I want to do it, and enjoy it, and can afford it, FINE.

If I don't want to do it, I don't. If I don't enjoy it, I don't do it. And if I can't afford it, I don't do it.

I do not worry about "value." As if I want, enjoy, and can afford it, it is valuable to ME.

We did two weeks in Orlando over Xmas/New Years. It was expensive. But we enjoyed it. We just did a week driving around Sicily, great fun, cheaper than Orlando, but we still value the experience.

Christmas and New Years are among the most expensive times to cruise. In general, criusing is a great value over a one vacation. To compare, determine what you would spend on a land vacation - cost of a moderate hotel including taxes, fees, and parking as applicable; cost of meals (don't forget to add cost of tips, which is generally far more than the ship's autotips), transportation costs to the various restaurants, attractions, etc.; admission to daily entertainment (movie tickets, etc). I guarantee this costs are considerably more than the same number of days on a cruise most times of the year. (To be fair, be sure to the taxes and fees , not just the base fare and autotips, and parking as applicable). Cruise at an off-peak time and you will save considerably more compared to most land vacations in the off season.

Christmas and New Years are among the most expensive times to cruise. In general, criusing is a great value over a one vacation. To compare, determine what you would spend on a land vacation - cost of a moderate hotel including taxes, fees, and parking as applicable; cost of meals (don't forget to add cost of tips, which is generally far more than the ship's autotips), transportation costs to the various restaurants, attractions, etc.; admission to daily entertainment (movie tickets, etc). I guarantee this costs are considerably more than the same number of days on a cruise most times of the year. (To be fair, be sure to the taxes and fees , not just the base fare and autotips, and parking as applicable). Cruise at an off-peak time and you will save considerably more compared to most land vacations in the off season.
Land vacations in Thailand and India are the best value

If I am paying for so many nights, I would definitely like to see a show every night, cos I paid for it. (Just like we expect gourmet food every day)

Long cruises are not discounted, in fact they are disproportionately more expensive.

If an inside cabin in a 7 night cruise is $500, an inside cabin in a 112 night cruise is MUCH MORE than $8000 (16 times). Do the math.

Pardon me, but I think that a world cruise is certainly NOT value for money.

They are ridiculously overpriced, cos the cruise lines know that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money.

You will get fed up with the same food and daily activities for 112 days.

Also the numerous visas required are a nuisance. (Please don't take it personally, it's just my opinion!)

Can say that we did a half world cruise - Southampton to Sydney - 47 nights - and certainly did not get bored. Varied acts came and went and we had some amazing ports of call. Would certainly do it again, or even a world cruise if we could afford it, and we only needed Estas and Etas. A world cruise is certainly worth doing and not just by rich retirees - everyone spends their money how they see fit and 'value for money' is very subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can say that we did a half world cruise - Southampton to Sydney - 47 nights - and certainly did not get bored. Varied acts came and went and we had some amazing ports of call. Would certainly do it again, or even a world cruise if we could afford it, and we only needed Estas and Etas. A world cruise is certainly worth doing and not just by rich retirees - everyone spends their money how they see fit and 'value for money' is very subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, a world cruise is wonderful, but very rarely (if at all ) available at under $70 per person per day (for the most economical cabin).

While there are quite a few 7-15 day cruises available for under $70 per person per day. These are really value for money, the focal point of this thread "Is cruising value for money"

How much did each of you pay for your 47 night cruise?

Back to the OP, I just don't think they are comparable. Different experience on each. Even an all-inclusive resort vs. cruising is different. I've done them all and each has it's rewards and flaws.

I absolutely love sea air. So that is a huge benefit for a cruise. My wife and I have a basic balcony booked for this January on Celebrity and I can't wait. Disney = $$$. And if you want to penny pinch, you will really limit your fun.

*sidebar* We were at a bar at Universal and a guy walked in and asked for a glass of water. He then went to pull out his wallet and the bartender looked at him, laughed and yelled: "Hey, this isn't Disney, we don't F^&*% charge for water here."

For those who have had a cruise go down in price, was it ever January in the Caribbean? Coming from Minnesota, I have never seen a price decrease.

I just did a couple of weeks ago. Sailing on 26 Jan with HAL on the Oosterdam, there was a substantial drop in price. Rather than take the discounted price, I upgraded from a balcony to a suite for $50 pp.

Edited by danb35

I think that 'value' is a perception issue based on one's personal preferences. We see some cruises as having value, others not so much.

Overall, we have done far less cruising over the last four years in favor of independent land trips or AI's. It is not a money issue for us. If we want to spend time in Greece or Italy, we see cruising as the worst possible way to do it. Few stops, crowded days, and very limited exposure to the local charms. Same for many other European countries. But, we are independent travelers, only travel with a carry on, and a great deal of our travel is spontaneous. Others prefer a more structured vacation in a familiar environment. Each to their own.