Bye bye libraries?

mykeb14

I'm not going to lie, I used the library on a few occasions and not for reading. I have used it to just chill out and have some serious quite time. Ecspecially after a rough night of Manhattans. :D

We enjoyed hanging out in the Library this past cruise on Liberty - a good quiet place to go for my Mom, especially when the seas were rough.

Weird thing though: my wife and I were on Liberty in Dec 2017, just three months ago, and we both could swear that the library used to be bigger that what it now is. But we suspect it is just that we have been watching YouTube videos of the other Carnival ships and are mixing memory banks (we sail on Sunshine in Dec of this year, for example, so we were checking it out).

I bring hundreds of books with me on my cruises. All of them are on my Kindle. On my last cruise, I read several novels.... On my phone. I think the idea of enjoying books on a cruise is alive and well. I just don't think there are that many people who don't travel with reading material.

I scanned the titles in the library on my last cruise, but all the books I actually read I brought with me.

I am not sure the ships need another coffee shop, but maybe there is a compromise use of the space that would work better?

LOVE this idea!!!

I like the idea too. Clever. Could be a fun themed night.

But they do chefs table in some libraries that probably gets more $$$ per person. Maybe a dinner mystery theater in the library?

I like the library, but I "get it". Kindle's and Nook's, along with Carnivals main demographics and short cruises, has made dedicated spaces for libraries a suboptimal use of space.

Maybe Carnival could get epub or other text versions of popular books and charge something like $1 per title to rent it for a week. A couple of shelfs/book exchange for real books would be nice somewhere onboard still though.

very good observation, i mean it. They are always looking for ways to increase their profits. For those who like quiet and to play games or read, I've heard of people finding bars that werent open and using that quiet space. But you have to bring your own games (deck of cards?) or books. Not sure if Carnival allows closed bars to be used that way, but it is a possible alternative.

1. Of course they are always looking at ways to increase profits, they're a business. 2. We've played cards at a closed down Alchemy bar many, many times.

I like the idea too. Clever. Could be a fun themed night.

But they do chefs table in some libraries that probably gets more $$$ per person. Maybe a dinner mystery theater in the library?

I like the library, but I "get it". Kindle's and Nook's, along with Carnivals main demographics and short cruises, has made dedicated spaces for libraries a suboptimal use of space.

Maybe Carnival could get epub or other text versions of popular books and charge something like $1 per title to rent it for a week. A couple of shelfs/book exchange for real books would be nice somewhere onboard still though.

I also like the Murder mystery idea for the evenings! I had planned to attend the Dr. Seuss breakfast , wearing my custom personalized Seuss librarian shirt...but now I’m just not feeling it. It feels like another ploy for more profits and not the celebration of reading I had imagined. I had also planned on bringing some of my “weeded” best sellers from my library to donate...still thinking on that one.

Every Single cruise I have been on I have used the library. Sometimes it's for reading on my kindle and sometimes it's to play cards and games with my family. There should be at least one place on the ship that is not driven by $$$. Unless it's to put in a Male Revue which performs Magic Mike Live all day so I can find use for my useless dollar bills on board.

I think a good way to make them money-makers without losing the library quality would be to implement some of the "fun hub" computer deals there. You get to add money making internet access without invading, too much anyway, with the quiet space and resource people love.

John has been asking a lot about the library on the ship lately... Do you think they are going to replace them? If so what do you think they will replace them with?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't follow his posts nor do I FB, but with regard to libraries on ships; I would be sad to see them go. They do not use up much space, and can be a place of refuge at times on cruises when people, families, etc , want to find a place to play a game, read a book, or just find a quiet place to hang out. Surely, Carnival can leave that small space to the few on their cruises who look for a quiet area. All that being said...I have never spend time in there, but I have passed by there and seen people in there reading.

I love the idea of the library, but of the ships I've been on, they are way too small. Not enough tables for games or chairs for reading. We have to find empty bars for game playing. Not usually a problem. but the tables are small. Sure, we can go to the Lido, but the idea is to get away from the crowds.

So don't take them away...make them BIGGER.

Yeah!

Maybe they'll convert them into another spot on the ship where they can promote the art auctions!

They must make a killing off the auctions. I admit that when I cruised more infrequently, I used to think it was halfway interesting to pop my head in to hear to "lectures". I wish they would have more lectures and things like that on ships. One of my favorite cruise memories this year was on the Sunshine when they had the magician teaching workshops about magic and even revealing his tricks. Maybe not a money maker but I'd feel comfortable paying a bit more on fare or even pay for lectures if they turned the library into something like that.

Oh...that makes this current librarian/previous English teacher very sad. I too noticed that JH was asking a bunch of questions about the libraries. There were many responses of folks who genuinely enjoyed the quiet escape, the selection of books, playing games, and the conversations with other readers. But there were also replies that were eyebrow raising, such as the one who said, “I don’t cruise to get smarter, I just want to have fun.” Just sad...that there are some who associate “reading” with “being smart” and “not fun”..which is a ridiculous notion and perpetuates a fallacy regarding the art of reading....(as I quietly step down from my soapbox)

And one more thing...It is the height of hypocrisy to celebrate a reading pioneer (Dr. Seuss breakfast & parade) and at the same time consider getting rid of the libraries.

Well... is it Carnival. ;p

Well... is it Carnival. ;p

I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. I chose Carnival and I have 3 college degrees, my husband has 4 college degrees....not that degrees are good indicators of intelligence because I know alot of folks who are highly intelligent, especially in their respective fields, who have chosen not to go into debt and go to college. And I would bet they’re on Carnival & other cruise lines too.

I don’t understand what point you are trying to make. I chose Carnival and I have 3 college degrees, my husband has 4 college degrees....not that degrees are good indicators of intelligence because I know alot of folks who are highly intelligent, especially in their respective fields, who have chosen not to go into debt and go to college. And I would bet they’re on Carnival & other cruise lines too.

Well said

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sure this isn't a deal breaker on it's own, but for anyone on the fence, it could weed out some that enjoy reeding, playing games, or finding a quiet place to relax. Cutting any amenity, and replacing it with a shop, cafe, or cabins, is a net loss to the passengers.

If they axed the comedy club, and replaced it with a theater that charged admission, I'm sure plenty would say, "I never went there anyways", or "Current films? Amazing Upgrade!!!" College degrees or not, affecting us personally or not, we should acknowledge that these are not equal trade offs.

I'm sure this isn't a deal breaker on it's own, but for anyone on the fence, it could weed out some that enjoy reeding, playing games, or finding a quiet place to relax. Cutting any amenity, and replacing it with a shop, cafe, or cabins, is a net loss to the passengers.

If they axed the comedy club, and replaced it with a theater that charged admission, I'm sure plenty would say, "I never went there anyways", or "Current films? Amazing Upgrade!!!" College degrees or not, affecting us personally or not, we should acknowledge that these are not equal trade offs.

Most definitely. However, I don’t think that was the point that poster meant when he/she stated, “Well it is Carnival”...