Do we bring an adaptor?

smithp7

NO

Viking has MANY plug ports for Europe and USA

IF you are staying at a hotel, yes bring an adapter.

Disagree. There just aren't enough US configured plugs in the cabin. I have a box of 4 adapters purchased from Amazon sufficient to allow hubby and me to be charging our iPads, iPhones, camera batteries, fitbits etc all at the same time. The one I got has two outlets. Didn't cost a mint either. Look for an "OREI 2 in 1 USA to Europe Adapter Plug (Schuko, Type E/F) - 4 Pack, Black". Purchased for $9 with a Prime membership.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pat, do you mean an adapter or a converter? There is a difference between the two devices.

A converter allows you to take an item that operates only at 110-120V (the standard current in the US) and use it with 220-240V current (the standard in Europe) without frying the device.

An adapter simply allows you to insert a US plug into European outlet. However, if the device you are plugging in isn't rated for 220V, it will fry the device.

The A/C adapters that come with our electronics these days are rated for 110-240V (in other words, they work in any electrical environment worldwide) and hence do not need a converter. All they need is an adapter to be able to plug them into a 220V outlet and operate them safely. (But do read the fine print on the a/c adapter to confirm).

Viking cabins have a 110 outlet in the bathroom for use with a shaver or a nightlight only; they cannot handle a curling iron or hair dryer. The other outlets in the cabin do support them.

Viking also has USB outlets on the nightstands and desk for charging devices along with both 120V and 220V outlets.

Adapters are cheap enough and light enough that I keep a couple of them in my travel bag so that I can use any outlet in the cabin or in a hotel room.

Two photos below of the outlets. Note the light switch above the nightstand; the smaller switch operates the night-lighting for the bathroom. There are two identical night stands in the cabin plus the outlets on the desk.

enhance

Outlets and QuietVox units on the desk:

enhance

Disagree. There just aren't enough US configured plugs in the cabin. I have a box of 4 adapters purchased from Amazon sufficient to allow hubby and me to be charging our iPads, iPhones, camera batteries, fitbits etc all at the same time. The one I got has two outlets. Didn't cost a mint either. Look for an "OREI 2 in 1 USA to Europe Adapter Plug (Schuko, Type E/F) - 4 Pack, Black". Purchased for $9 with a Prime membership.

I have found them also in Target and Bed, Bath&Beyond.

31%2B1qnQKWcL.jpg

Viking also has USB outlets on the nightstands and desk for charging devices along with both 120V and 220V outlets.

Two photos below of the outlets. Note the light switch above the nightstand; the smaller switch operates the night-lighting for the bathroom. There are two identical night stands in the cabin plus the outlets on the desk.

enhance

enhance

USB outlets???? Woo-hoo! That's new. Don't think we had those on the Star in 2016. Would have surely noticed them. Good to know. Thanks![emoji106]

USB outlets???? Woo-hoo! That's new. Don't think we had those on the Star in 2016. Would have surely noticed them. Good to know. Thanks![emoji106]

Oh, dear. Thanks for the heads up. We'll be on the Star in December. These photos are from the Sun in 2016.

Also note the upgraded QuietVox on the Sun; it has a standard headphone jack so that you can bring your own to use.

Oh, dear. Thanks for the heads up. We'll be on the Star in December. These photos are from the Sun in 2016.

Also note the upgraded QuietVox on the Sun; it has a standard headphone jack so that you can bring your own to use.

An artifact of when the Star was designed perhaps? At that time, providing USB ports wasn't as common as it is now in new cars and refurbished hotels (e.g.). When the Star goes in for what I trust is her periodic ShipAlt, which I'm thinking, based on that sailing schedule sheet I made up a few months ago, may be in 2020 (5 yr cycle?), am sure there will be a number of upgrades like this.

An artifact of when the Star was designed perhaps? At that time, providing USB ports wasn't as common as it is now in new cars and refurbished hotels (e.g.). When the Star goes in for what I trust is her periodic ShipAlt, which I'm thinking, based on that sailing schedule sheet I made up a few months ago, may be in 2020 (5 yr cycle?), am sure there will be a number of upgrades like this.

Okay, let's revisit this conversation in 2020. Wanna bet that we will be laughing because there will be an even newer standard than USB ports -- and even newer QuitVox equipment? Just to name a few. :evilsmile:

Pat, do you mean an adapter or a converter? There is a difference between the two devices.

A converter allows you to take an item that operates only at 110-120V (the standard current in the US) and use it with 220-240V current (the standard in Europe) without frying the device.

An adapter simply allows you to insert a US plug into European outlet. However, if the device you are plugging in isn't rated for 220V, it will fry the device.

The A/C adapters that come with our electronics these days are rated for 110-240V (in other words, they work in any electrical environment worldwide) and hence do not need a converter. All they need is an adapter to be able to plug them into a 220V outlet and operate them safely. (But do read the fine print on the a/c adapter to confirm).

Viking cabins have a 110 outlet in the bathroom for use with a shaver or a nightlight only; they cannot handle a curling iron or hair dryer. The other outlets in the cabin do support them.

Adapters are cheap enough and light enough that I keep a couple of them in my travel bag so that I can use any outlet in the cabin or in a hotel room.

enhance

enhance

Honestly I'm not sure on whether I need a converter. We'll have 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, and a Fitbit to charge. What do you think I need ?:confused:

Hi Pat. Good question. I plug my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch into the same USB adaptor that goes straight into the mains. I thought I wouldn't need it as I could charge with the USBs in the cabin. Now think I will bring my UK to Euro adaptor just in case. I am sure that between us all we will be able to recharge our appliances. Fellow passengers are always willing to help. X

Cana recent cruiser on the STAR tell us if the bedside tables have been re-fit to have USB ports on them? We were told by a staff person while on the SKY that the Star now had USB ports bedside.....they are great to have!!

The 2 USB plugs on each nightstand are nice. But notice only one on each nightstand is high power, for tablets. The other is low power, for iPhones.

You anticipated the question I had in mind. Remember tho that the low power will charge an iPad just more slowly. And the iPhone doesn't care.

Okay, let's revisit this conversation in 2020. Wanna bet that we will be laughing because there will be an even newer standard than USB ports -- and even newer QuitVox equipment? Just to name a few. :evilsmile:

Ah. So true. Evil smile indeed!

On the Star 12/17 and there were USB bedside ports and at least 4ea 110V and 4ea 220V outlets. Only problem is the energy management system shuts off the outlets when you leave the room. If you plan on charging while out, put a card in the retainer near the main room switch. QuietVox worked with standard headphones.

On the Star 12/17 and there were USB bedside ports and at least 4ea 110V and 4ea 220V outlets. Only problem is the energy management system shuts off the outlets when you leave the room. If you plan on charging while out, put a card in the retainer near the main room switch. QuietVox worked with standard headphones.

Sometimes one outlet keeps its power even when your key card isn't in the slot. Its then a matter of discovering which one. (A fun game in European hotels too btw). We determined on the Star it was an outlet on the end of the desk by the door to the verandah. Of course the old game of leaving a card (you don't care if you lose) or even the right size and thickness of paper in the retainer works too. Enough to block the light sensor inside. Just don't be upset if the cabin steward undoes your cleverness per instructions.

Sweeet!!!!! I am doing the Snoopy dance of joy!!!!!!!!!!! I hated those old headsets that only worked in the left ear and I have been complaining about them any chance I was given for the past seven years!!

Thank you, Viking!!! Thank you! Thank you!

Sweeet!!!!! I am doing the Snoopy dance of joy!!!!!!!!!!! I hated those old headsets that only worked in the left ear and I have been complaining about them any chance I was given for the past seven years!!

Thank you, Viking!!! Thank you! Thank you!

584b20e3342c3b539dbee2bf42d73232.jpg

Hi Pat. Good question. I plug my iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch into the same USB adaptor that goes straight into the mains. I thought I wouldn't need it as I could charge with the USBs in the cabin. Now think I will bring my UK to Euro adaptor just in case. I am sure that between us all we will be able to recharge our appliances. Fellow passengers are always willing to help. X

Hi Val, I just bought an adaptor set myself just to be on the safe side. 👍

Our cabin Steward finally wrote on our card DO NOT REMOVE.....frustrating when you return from being gone all day and your IPAD is not recharged or your extra camera batteries were still depleted!

I put our AARP card in the hallway dispenser (whatever it is called)the minute we got there...we left it there for the whole 3 weeks and never took it out. We are very good about turning out lights...we always do.. but just having that AARP card in the holder the whole time made it easy to not have to worry about things like chargers or lights!