Booking private tours in St. Petersburg and Gdansk

frenchhorn

Wife LOVED the Marlboro castle tour in Poland.

I loved the viking ship museum tour and the Cathedral where all the Danish Royalty are interred.

In Estonia the Palmse Manor House & Upper Town tour was very nice. Beautiful country home and tasty country lunch plus a trip to the seaside national park through the forest.

Did 2 day private tour of St Pete with other Viking folks organized on our Cruise Critic roll call. TJ tours was excellent. Wife also did Swan Lake with them. Our 14 person rate was half what it would have cost with Viking, but more mobile and hit more sights.

Vasa Museum in Stockholm was nice but you could do it yourself at a fraction of the cost.

In Eidfjord we took the full Day to Flam tour with its train rides. Gorgeous mountain scenery including the bus ride through amazing tunnels with roundabouts inside the mountains.

We didn't but definitely do Pulpit Rock on your own. Again a fraction of the price and right where the ship docks.

In Bergen we took the tram up the mountain by ourselves. Wife rode down while I hiked the 3 Km trail (~2 miles) down back to town and the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

We booked TJ' 2 day SP tour and it was great, small group on mini bus, your ticket has the special cruise visa, you can not just get off the boat in SP without a visa so everyone needs to be booked on a tour where you get the cruise visa. TJ' s was half the price of the Viking tour smaller group and TJ ' s will get you to the next port if you miss the boat but not to worry plenty of time, we also took them for a small tour of Berlin.

We have booked a 2-day customized private tour in St. Petersburg for 4 of us with TJ, because we wanted to see some things that are not on the usual tours. We are skipping Peterhof and Catherine Palace and will instead stay in the city both days. We are considering booking private tours in a couple of other ports and will look at TJ and other companies. The descriptions of food tours that some cruisers have taken are really appealing, but the timing in some ports may make it difficult to schedule those on our cruise. (Viking Homelands). We're looking for some off-the-beaten track things to do in addition to seeing some major sights.

We did Alla Tours in St Petersburg for 6 of us...looked at the group tours with them but doing it for 6 of us was not much more at all. They personalized it for us and we had the whole van to ourselves! Could pick where we wanted to go to lunch, what we wanted to do....loved it. She also gave us choices along the way as to if we should stop somewhere, or not...and how much time we wanted to stay. I had a question regarding a charge from a store that she took us to on the first day (my credit card company notified me of a different charge than I had). Anyway, she wanted to go by the store and make sure that it was taken care of before we did anything. So we did. My memory could be wrong but I am going to say it was less than $50 pp than going with a 16 person tour. And MUCH less than doing Viking's. They took care of our blanket visa. A very enjoyable 2 days!!!!