Cruising by those Way over 55+

pandlpa12

My wife and I have joined the ranks of the 60+ cruising enthusiasts, and intend to 'keep right on cruising'. However, we are but mere babes in swaddling when it comes to my father-in-law. In March 2014 he turned 90 and decided to celebrate an addition to his 250+ lifetime days of cruising by accompanying us on a 29 day HAL re-positioning from Sydney Australia to Vancouver, BC. Hail and hearty health-wise, his legs and balance do present some problems, but nothing he can't live with.

So I've started this thread as a tribute to the real 55+ cruisers. I invite anyone so inclined to regale us all with tributes and stories of similar experiences.

To start you off: at 89 years of age, the father-in-law turned in his 5 year passport and informed his family he had obtained a 10 year passport and was ##@@"" well going to use up the full 10 years. He might just make it, as the average age for passing of most of the males in his family is 96. :)

Hello, we are a couple in our 50's, hubby gets the +55 benefits for us.

Sounds like you have a great man to follow in his cruising footsteps.

I would love to travel that long, it would be more than half my life of cruising.

Enjoy all the cruising! We sure are.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Age 88, going on 22 day cruise in July (QM2), have 14 day booked for 2015. Have done approx. 50 cruises.

Cruise solo, (recently moved from 1 bed condo to 2 bed condo, as found previous complex "too ready to climb into their coffins and screw down the lid".

Wish there were group solo cruises on the 4 star cruise ships, they all seem to be on Carnival, Norwegian, RCL and are definitely for those looking for "cheap party cruises"

Tried HAL, but after finding that there were large groups from assisted living homes, (all with walkers, hearing aids, wheelchairs, and those suffering from impaired memory" )decided HAL is not for me.

Have several NOT to be discussed subjects , money, politics, religion , sex orientation and biggest of all HEALTH.

I do not go on cruises to discus aches ,pains, number of doctor visits, tests etc.

Beginning to feel I am the "fifth wheel, in a four wheel world."

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread. I am new to this site- looking for info to help me decide if it's a good idea to take my mom on a Viking River Cruise in China. It would be in 2016, and she will be 85 then. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. She is in great health, and is well-traveled, but it would be her first time in Asia.

Thank you for this - I was a little concerned - none of the advertising shows anybody over 60 as far as I can tell.

Yes the brochures do use models, andthey are not always as shown.

I was on a Crystal cruise a few years ago, one night a young male model started up a conversation,(I was about 45 years older than he was). He had been attending a photo shoot for the Crystal brochure that day, and believe me, his comments on the mutual animosity between the models was hilarious.

Dance scenes, the female deliberately trod on his toes, not once but several times, all the time smiling happily. Two other models would hide each others things in order to cause problems, X refusing to share a cabin with Y etc.

Of course passengers could also be very "nasty" One of my table companions took it upon himself to advise me to cease talking with the model as he "unsuitable " , (the model preferred his own sex ) as though that mattered when we were simply having an interesting conversation.

You do meet all kinds!

Love this thread. My husband and I are in our late 60's and have been taking a yearly TA cruise for the last few years. His mobility is limited, but has used a travel scoot. We have loved meeting wonderful people of all ages-but mostly 55+-as we explored a little of Europe. I hope we will be able to continue for a long time.

Interesting comments folks.

My, now 90 year old father-in-law sends his regards from approximately 900 nautical miles south east of Hawaii.

I is certainly enjoying himself, as are we. The Oosterdam crew has been excellent. And, yes, there are many folks at or near his age, all with some level of mobility challenge. Interestingly, there is a gentleman on board who just celebrated his 100th birthday a few days ago. Now that's dedication to cruising.

For those who are in need of mobility assistance, and would like to investigate a level of assistance slightly above a walker, there are a number of Aussies and North Americans on board who have brought their new portable electric scooters. Not only are these excellent shipboard and dockside, but the airlines are now beginning to accept them more readily for cargo transport - providing they have dry cell batteries. They're worth checking out, only if for your peace of mind.

Keep on cruising folks, and continue to use this thread to your own advantage.

Pandlpa12:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I are both seventy. I don't know if that is "well above fifty-five" or not, but last December we were on Independence of the Seas and we were positively young compared to the majority of passengers on board. I'm certain most were in their eighties and some well into their nineties.

I recall one couple dancing in the Boleros Lounge who had to be in their mid-nineties. They weren't slouches either. They comported themselves very admirably. I decided then and their that they were my role models and I told Hubby that is exactly what I hope we are doing when we are in our mid-nineties--dancing in Boleros and having a fabulous time.

My wife and I have joined the ranks of the 60+ cruising enthusiasts, and intend to 'keep right on cruising'. However, we are but mere babes in swaddling when it comes to my father-in-law. In March 2014 he turned 90 and decided to celebrate an addition to his 250+ lifetime days of cruising by accompanying us on a 29 day HAL re-positioning from Sydney Australia to Vancouver, BC. Hail and hearty health-wise, his legs and balance do present some problems, but nothing he can't live with.

So I've started this thread as a tribute to the real 55+ cruisers. I invite anyone so inclined to regale us all with tributes and stories of similar experiences.

To start you off: at 89 years of age, the father-in-law turned in his 5 year passport and informed his family he had obtained a 10 year passport and was ##@@"" well going to use up the full 10 years. He might just make it, as the average age for passing of most of the males in his family is 96. :)

We went on a Mediocre Staff and Crew line and we found that the locals and the local crew were incredibly Rude to the extent that they would physically push persons of advanced age out of their way.:eek:

• 1 month later...

DH and I went on a 30 day cruise to Tahiti/Hawaii to celebrate our 40th Wedding Ann. I was 58 and Dh was 68 (2011) while celebrating at the Pinnacle Grill we met a couple who were both 92 and celebrating their 70th wedding ann! The couple was aboard with their son and DIL who were celebrating their 50th something Wedding Ann. The couple were such a joy to be around and we talked for quite a while.

I hope to be doing the same thing on our 70th Weddina Ann.

This is a great thread. I am new to this site- looking for info to help me decide if it's a good idea to take my mom on a Viking River Cruise in China. It would be in 2016, and she will be 85 then. Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. She is in great health, and is well-traveled, but it would be her first time in Asia.

Thank you for this - I was a little concerned - none of the advertising shows anybody over 60 as far as I can tell.

We have just come back from a Yangtze river cruise, not Viking, but a comfortable ship, the Century Sky. We were about 40 westerners, half of them English 55+, the other half German speakers 40+. All the other passengers were Chinese, many of them early retirement age and in very good shape.

If your mom is open-minded about Chinese food and has no mobility issues, this is a very good cruise. The scenery is simply amazing! We went in May and the temperature was perfect with occasional light drizzle and haze which is normal for the area.

Passengers need to be able to walk stairs, walk on pontoons, and get in and out of small boats. One British gentleman used a cane, but was able to do everything. One of our American fellow passengers was 78. Although he was athletic, much of the food on the entire trip before, on the cruise and afterwards was unpalatable to him and he became crankier from day to day.

See what being out on the open seas will do... God love you and I hope you are sailing at 100!!!:D

I guarantee, that if we are alive at !00 we will be cruising. With all the old folks cruising nowadays we need an Infirmary cruise line. All accessible cabins.

Please no HAL jokes.

I am also new to this site, but I agree with you. My husband and I are both 75 and came to cruising late in life after being campers for years and years. Now we're addicted!! Headed out for our 12th trip to the Southern Caribbean in Feb 2015. We booked an aft cabin. Did a short one on Constellation this past January with a group of younger friends. We love sharing travel notes, but not health problems while on board!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful thread. I just lost my DH a year and 3 months ago, we both loved cruising and had finished our 20th cruise on various lines and 15th onboard Princess. We were to celebrate our 51st Wedding Anniversary one week after he passed.

I'm now a solo cruiser and am loving it still. I desperately miss him but the sea is calling me and I must go.

I travel with a Service Dog and he's my companion now, although I have invited family to join me at times. I don't mind cruising as a solo because you're really never alone. When you have a big Black Lab who accompanies you wherever you go and you're lucky enough to meet like-minded folks, life is good!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Wizard-of-roz:

Your post is very interesting and brings up a topic I know other 55+ cruisers have thought about from time to time - the procedures and requirements for cruising on different cruise lines with Service Animals.

I don't intend to comment on the rules and regulations associated with service dogs on different cruise lines - these are easily found in the rules and regulations published by each cruise line. If you have difficulty finding them on a specific cruise line web site, then simply call the company (or have your travel professional do so) and they will be glad to provide you with their cruise line's conditions and requirements.

However, if any of you that are watching this link have had experiences that would help out others requiring Service Animals during cruise vacations, or indeed have had humorous experiences that we could all chuckle along with as we learn, then I think it would be most interesting to hear from you.

Happy travels to all those Way over 55 Cruisers out there! :)

Pandlpa12

Wizard-of-roz:

Your post is very interesting and brings up a topic I know other 55+ cruisers have thought about from time to time - the procedures and requirements for cruising on different cruise lines with Service Animals.

I don't intend to comment on the rules and regulations associated with service dogs on different cruise lines - these are easily found in the rules and regulations published by each cruise line. If you have difficulty finding them on a specific cruise line web site, then simply call the company (or have your travel professional do so) and they will be glad to provide you with their cruise line's conditions and requirements.

However, if any of you that are watching this link have had experiences that would help out others requiring Service Animals during cruise vacations, or indeed have had humorous experiences that we could all chuckle along with as we learn, then I think it would be most interesting to hear from you.

Happy travels to all those Way over 55 Cruisers out there! :)

Pandlpa12

Please refer to my thread on Cruise Critic: Disabled Cruising-Cruising With a Service Dog, Everything You Ever Wanted To Know. The thread has been going since 2005 when we started cruising with my Service Dog Brenda. It answers a lot of questions about; Immigration Officials, TSA, Cruise Ship requirements, laws, the Dept. of Justice and the ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act.]

There are some people who are "frauds." People who get a doctor to sign a letter and declare the handler to be in need of a Service Dog, when in fact, the dog is a "pet" and the cruiser just can't travel without the company of their dog. They purchase a vest online and off they go!!! Into stores, banks, cruises ships, etc.

I, for one, will call this imposter out and will inform management that the dog is NOT a legitimate Service Dog. How do I know; the behavior of the dog. A legitimate Service Dog will NEVER bark, growl, nip or lunge at another person or another dog. NOT EVER!!!!! They will feed the dog in the restaurant, something a legitimate handler would NEVER do! They're embarrassment to us and they ruin it for us when we follow them into the environment they may have tainted!

I need my dog so that I can go into the work place, the market, the bank and restaurants and be "normal!" My dog provides a service for me that I can't do for myself. He completes me as a person and is a diligent, hard working professional. I respect him as he does me. I bring me into the public venue and share your space with you. If you are allergic and don't like dogs please let me know and I will try and avoid you as much as I can. I respect your right to have a clean and safe environment too!

I hope we get to meet onboard one day and you have the opportunity to meet my "hero" Horton.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I am also new to this site, but I agree with you. My husband and I are both 75 and came to cruising late in life after being campers for years and years. Now we're addicted!! Headed out for our 12th trip to the Southern Caribbean in Feb 2015. We booked an aft cabin. Did a short one on Constellation this past January with a group of younger friends. We love sharing travel notes, but not health problems while on board!!!

I started camping at age 8 in a tent; talked DW into camping in the back of an old International 4WD Travelall; even now we still enjoy camping in a Sportsmobile (Class B). Years ago when bad weather forced us into a Motel 6, I knew things would change drastically! Before long we needed a Holiday Inn "Holidome!" Then in the 90s we tried a cruise - Wow! We were caught - hook, line, and sinker! Although we are "seniors" by age (not in mind and heart), we have really enjoyed meeting many wonderful folks very senior to us on our cruises that we would never have met otherwise. We have learned many good life lessons during these conversations. Some folks have become great friends and we are thankful for their friendships even years later. For everyone in this "boat" and those joining us in the future, Best Wishes and Sail On!

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread but have not had a chance to read much of it. I am well into my 70's and DW is just entered the 70's. We meat on a cruse about 48, give or take, years past. Managed to fit a few cruises in so far (less than 20 to date). I look forward ti meeting on future cruises.

Wonderful thread. I just lost my DH a year and 3 months ago, we both loved cruising and had finished our 20th cruise on various lines and 15th onboard Princess. We were to celebrate our 51st Wedding Anniversary one week after he passed.

I'm now a solo cruiser and am loving it still. I desperately miss him but the sea is calling me and I must go.

I travel with a Service Dog and he's my companion now, although I have invited family to join me at times. I don't mind cruising as a solo because you're really never alone. When you have a big Black Lab who accompanies you wherever you go and you're lucky enough to meet like-minded folks, life is good!

Hello Roz: We meet again - been missing you and glad you still travel with a Service Dog- I am sorry to hear about your husband's passing but glad you continue to cruise -

My mind forgets a lot these days but as I recall, wasn't your dog Brenda when we first started chatting on CC ? Corkey Carol

Hello - Thank You for starting this thread - I think your 90 yr old FIL sounds Great !! my FIL is going to be 98 in Jan 2015 and he looks healthy and 25 yrs younger than his age - I love "Older Youngsters" and enjoy chatting with them on my cruises - I learn a lot and boy! they are a lot of fun... Welcome to Cruise Critic - Host Corkey Carol

My late husband and I didn't start cruising until 2007. At that time I was 53 and he was 61. He passed last year and I am still cruising. Did a solo last May on the Getaway, have one the end of this month with a friend, another on the Getaway next May and then my dream vacation doing Hawaii on Pride of America. I miss having his company but I never felt out of place last May. I have heard folks carrying on about aches and issues that are younger than I am. Hate to see them in a few years.

Here is to all of us cruising till we actually take the final cruise off into the sunset.

My late husband and I didn't start cruising until 2007. At that time I was 53 and he was 61. He passed last year and I am still cruising. Did a solo last May on the Getaway, have one the end of this month with a friend, another on the Getaway next May and then my dream vacation doing Hawaii on Pride of America. I miss having his company but I never felt out of place last May. I have heard folks carrying on about aches and issues that are younger than I am. Hate to see them in a few years.

Here is to all of us cruising till we actually take the final cruise off into the sunset.

Love your last statement! Have fun on your next cruise - I am sure your husband is with you in spirit and glad to see you doing what you love ... Corkey Carol