Princess Protection Cancel For Any Reason

Sea Hag

This is a specific question for anybody who has canceled a cruise in the 100% penalty, has Princess cancel for any reason, AND canceled for a non-covered reason. Since it's a specific question, aimed at specific people, I'll try to be specific with the details.

I had to cancel our Ruby sailing for 5/6 a few days ago. My reason is a sick cat, which is not a covered reason. So, I was advised by my Princess lady to put in a claim with the insurance. She said that I needed to do that, get denied reimbursement, and send her the denial. She will then issue an account credit.

What I'm wondering is, can anybody who's canceled for a non-covered reason tell me long long it took for the claim denial? I know that my experience may not be the same; I'm just looking for some notion of how it's worked for others.

I've booked a replacement sailing of the same cruise for early September. Final payment for that is right around the corner, middle of June. My Princess lady says she has no way of knowing whether the account credit will be there in time, and I don't want to do that early September cruise if it's not. If it doesn't get there in time, then I'll roll it over to 2018 on some cruise or another and hope our cat cooperates on that.

So, everybody. Any tales to tell of how this situation worked for you? Appreciate any and all. :)

I cancelled a cruise four days before departure. I downloaded the claim form and followed the instructions from the insurance company (can't remember the name... it might have been Anon Affinity?) Princess Platinum Vacation Protection was using when I booked the cruise. Under 'Reason for Cancellation' wrote "Changed my mind."

I did not deal with princess at all (I don't understand that part of your post).

About two weeks (can't remember exactly) after making the claim, I got an email stating I would not be reimbursed, but would receive 100% of my cruise fare as a future cruise credit. That was as it should be. I signed into 'My Princess' and sure enough, there it was... the exact amount, down to the penny.

Be aware - the future cruise credit received for a cancellation citing an 'uncovered reason', will expire at the end of the calendar year following the year you make the claim.

I cancelled a cruise four days before departure. I downloaded the claim form and followed the instructions from the insurance company (can't remember the name... it might have been Anon Affinity?) Princess Platinum Vacation Protection was using when I booked the cruise. Under 'Reason for Cancellation' wrote "Changed my mind."

I did not deal with princess at all (I don't understand that part of your post).

About two weeks (can't remember exactly) after making the claim, I got an email stating I would not be reimbursed, but would receive 100% of my cruise fare as a future cruise credit. That was as it should be. I signed into 'My Princess' and sure enough, there it was... the exact amount, down to the penny.

Be aware - the future cruise credit received for a cancellation citing an 'uncovered reason', will expire at the end of the calendar year following the year you make the claim.

Thanks, for the reply, Bill.

If you didn't deal with Princess at all, how did you cancel? I've never seen an option in the personalizer for doing that, but for all I know it may be there. I called the Princess lady because that's what I do when I need something changed, re-fared or whatever.

I've already submitted the claim form and gotten confirmation that they received it, so it's moving along. The credit might make it by mid-June. Or not. :)

I did know about the credit expiration.Not a problem. I'm sure I'll be able to spend it long before it expires.

my experience was the same as bill's. i contacted princess that i wished to cancel and they gave me the website info for aon infinity. i filled out the paperwork and it took about a month i think to get the letter saying i would receive a future cruise credit. someone dropped the ball after that as i had to follow up with them as it wasn't deposited. once i let them know i hadn't received it, it happened right away.

If you didn't deal with Princess at all, how did you cancel?

I just looked at the policy and Googled the insurance company (Aon Affinity... not Anon Affinity or Aon Infinity... LOL :rolleyes::'):o ) website.

I guess I'm confused, I thought canceling for any reason meant any reason, even a sick pet.

It does. In my case, the reason I gave for cancelling was literally "I changed my mind."

Here's the blurb from the PVP brochure about who to contact - call the phone # shown to cover your bases:

Where To Report Cancellations & Interruptions:

Contact your travel agent, Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours or the Program Administrator IMMEDIATELY to advise of your situation and to avoid any non-reimbursable expenses due to late notification. The Program Administrator will send you a form that must be completed by you and the treating doctor (if applicable). Instructions will be provided as to what other information may be needed if cancellation/interruption is caused by a non-medical reason. The Program Administrator can be contacted 24 hours a day online at www.travelclaim.com or Monday – Friday 8 am – 10 pm (Eastern) and Saturdays 9 am

– 5 pm (Eastern) by calling 1-877-846-8833 or 1-516-342-2720.

I sure hope your cat is doing better. I'm know I would have done the same thing

under the circumstances.

I guess I'm confused, I thought canceling for any reason meant any reason, even

a sick pet.

She actually seems fine now, thanks for asking. :) Do you think maybe she knows she won?

The canceling for any reason does work for a sick pet. It just means in the case of Princess Protection you get an account credit, rather than a cash refund. Works for me!

I just looked at the policy and Googled the insurance company (Aon Affinity... not Anon Affinity or Aon Infinity... LOL :rolleyes::'):o ) website.

I keep thinking "anon" rather than "aon." And then the website is travelclaim.com. I confuse easy enough. They don't need to try that hard. ;p

my experience was the same as bill's. i contacted princess that i wished to cancel and they gave me the website info for aon infinity. i filled out the paperwork and it took about a month i think to get the letter saying i would receive a future cruise credit. someone dropped the ball after that as i had to follow up with them as it wasn't deposited. once i let them know i hadn't received it, it happened right away.

Good information! :) I guess it pays to keep tabs on things. I sent off my form via pdf and email, and I have no idea if that's going to make any difference or not. Probably not. I'll keep an eye on things and see what happens.

A few years ago, I booked a B2B cruise from Beijing to Whittier to Vancouver, booking it as one cruise as it was cheaper that way. After final payment, pricing for the Whittier to Vancouver leg dropped a ton but I couldn't be refared as I booked it as one cruise. I decided to end my cruise in Whittier rather than pay the premium to sail to Vancouver. So, I canceled the whole cruise and re-booked just Beijing to Whittier.

Since I was just past final payment, Princess refunded me a portion of my canceled cruise according to the cancellation schedule. I then submitted a claim to my Princess insurance (at the time, Berkeley Care) which refunded the remainder minus the cost of insurance. I came out ahead as I was able to rebook the Beijing to Whittier cruise for less than the original price.

A few years ago, I booked a B2B cruise from Beijing to Whittier to Vancouver, booking it as one cruise as it was cheaper that way. After final payment, pricing for the Whittier to Vancouver leg dropped a ton but I couldn't be refared as I booked it as one cruise. I decided to end my cruise in Whittier rather than pay the premium to sail to Vancouver. So, I canceled the whole cruise and re-booked just Beijing to Whittier.

Since I was just past final payment, Princess refunded me a portion of my canceled cruise according to the cancellation schedule. I then submitted a claim to my Princess insurance (at the time, Berkeley Care) which refunded the remainder minus the cost of insurance. I came out ahead as I was able to rebook the Beijing to Whittier cruise for less than the original price.

Interesting how that all worked out for you. It pays to pay attention, doesn't it?

Don't mean to pry into personal details, but curious as to what :"covered reason" was used to obtain a refund from Princess insurance in this circumstance. Unless you meant to say that you received a credit under the CFAR clause rather than a monetary refund.

Wow ... I had no idea we could even do this. Excellent question and such good information provided. I learned a lot today.

We co-own what was an abandoned cat with our neighbors and were set to go on vacation with them last Monday for one of their birthdays. We had lost our little cat which we've had for well over a decade... thought she had gone to go die in peace somewhere. We were all very devastated and thought the trip might take our mind off of our grief. Well, about 30 minutes before we were set to go to the airport, she showed back up ... after being missing for 3 weeks. We were able to cancel our airfare (Southwest) and our hotel without any penalty so at least the birthday girl could go. I had no idea we could do this if it had been a cruise booked instead of a short hop down to Vegas. I am so glad to know this, though!! We always get the Princess Platinum coverage as well so will definitely keep this in mind. We sail on Princess quite a bit so the credit to use for another cruise would suit me just fine!

Wow ... I had no idea we could even do this. Excellent question and such good information provided. I learned a lot today.

We co-own what was an abandoned cat with our neighbors and were set to go on vacation with them last Monday for one of their birthdays. We had lost our little cat which we've had for well over a decade... thought she had gone to go die in peace somewhere. We were all very devastated and thought the trip might take our mind off of our grief. Well, about 30 minutes before we were set to go to the airport, she showed back up ... after being missing for 3 weeks. We were able to cancel our airfare (Southwest) and our hotel without any penalty so at least the birthday girl could go. I had no idea we could do this if it had been a cruise booked instead of a short hop down to Vegas. I am so glad to know this, though!! We always get the Princess Platinum coverage as well so will definitely keep this in mind. We sail on Princess quite a bit so the credit to use for another cruise would suit me just fine!

I'm glad you got your kitty back and I'm also glad that people offered such good info in this thread. :)

Curious as to how a non covered reason was covered?

The reasoning is if you have 'cancel for any reason' coverage, you don't need a reason... or perhaps better to say "it's reasonable to reason every reason is reasonable... even unreasonable reasons". :cool:

Edited by Bill B

Curious as to how a non covered reason was covered?

It's like Bill said. The cancel for any reason kicks in. The language on the travel insurance website is like this:

If your plan includes "Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption" protection you may be entitled to reimbursement (up to the dollar limit specified in your plan) if you are prevented from taking or completing your trip due to a covered reason. Please refer to your plan description for further explanation.

In my case, a sick cat isn't a covered reason. But it's an "any reason" so Princess will give me a credit. Bill's "I changed my mind" is also an "any reason."

It's like Bill said. The cancel for any reason kicks in. The language on the travel insurance website is like this:

If your plan includes "Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption" protection you may be entitled to reimbursement (up to the dollar limit specified in your plan) if you are prevented from taking or completing your trip due to a covered reason. Please refer to your plan description for further explanation.

In my case, a sick cat isn't a covered reason. But it's an "any reason" so Princess will give me a credit. Bill's "I changed my mind" is also an "any reason."

I didn't know it was looked at by the insurance co and Princess.

I always thought it was cancel for any reason and that was determined by the insurance co.

Guess I learned something today. :o

I didn't know it was looked at by the insurance co and Princess.

I always thought it was cancel for any reason and that was determined by the insurance co.

Guess I learned something today. :o

The cancel for any reason coverage is actually not part of the insurance policy but a "throw-in" from Princess for buying the Vacation Protection Plan. Once established that your reason for cancellation is not a covered one, Princess adds the FCC to your account with no reimbursement from the underwriter.

My only close in cancellation was 12 years ago: was supposed to cruise six weeks after Hurricane Wilma hit. Called Princess to cancel, was refunded 25% (was in that window by the time I had a chance to call) plus all Govt Fees & Taxes, received claim forms in mail. When I saw how much detail they wanted to consider "hurricane damage to home" as a covered reason, called back and said to just give me the FCC. The 75% was showing in my Circle account within the week.

Don't mean to pry into personal details, but curious as to what :"covered reason" was used to obtain a refund from Princess insurance in this circumstance. Unless you meant to say that you received a credit under the CFAR clause rather than a monetary refund.
Sorry. You're absolutely correct. I got the refund from Princess according to the refund schedule and the insurance gave me a credit. I apologize for the incorrect information.

The cancel for any reason coverage is actually not part of the insurance policy but a "throw-in" from Princess for buying the Vacation Protection Plan. Once established that your reason for cancellation is not a covered one, Princess adds the FCC to your account with no reimbursement from the underwriter.

Exactly... and when it happens, Princess probably loses nothing because:

- they have your money (you're not getting it back) and you will book another cruise;

- they can (in most cases) fill the vacated room;

- they have part of the premium you paid for the Platinum Vacation Protection - it's more expensive than 'regular' travel insurance (even if you were upgraded to 'Platinum' due to your Captains Going In Circles status).

Sorry. You're absolutely correct. I got the refund from Princess according to the refund schedule and the insurance gave me a credit. I apologize for the incorrect information.

No need to apologize. I realized after I asked that the likely reason your situation was able to be worked out was that the cancellation and subsequent re-booking were actually of two different voyage numbers--so no issue with any "new booking" restrictions or possible questions from the insurance department as to your claim. Good that you and/or your agent came up with such a plan..