Djupivogur, Iceland ideas??

Wayfairers

We stopped at the Vínbúðin (Iceland's government liquor store) to see if we could buy some Vatnajökull Beer while we were in the region to take home with us! Unfortunately the Vínbúðin is only open from 4-6pm!

Otherwise, we were planning to drive past it. :( The scenery in the area is pretty, but I hadn't read anything particularly interesting about Djúpivogur itself, and we were already planning a stop further along in Stöðvarfjörður.

However, if you plan to stay in Djúpivogur anyway, both of my Iceland guides have a decent bit to say about Papey island with its history, puffins, and seals, and the small boat to get there leaves from Djúpivogur. There's also a very small museum inside Langabúð that only made it into one of the two books.

If your ship is offering an excursion to Vatnajökull, I would strongly consider it if you've never visited southeast Iceland. Even better, if any are headed all the way to the glacier lake at Jökulsárlón, do it! It is incredible! The boat trip on the lake was on par with some of the zodiac cruises we did in Antarctica. (If you make it there, it's worth popping across the road for a few minutes to see the waves crashing over the beached glacial ice on the black sand beach.)

And if you happen upon Vatnajökull Beer, I highly recommend it!

Jökulsárlón is one of the top attractions in Iceland and is by far the best thing to see in that part of the country, IMHO. From there, you're less than an hour from Skaftafell, which is an amazing glacier and National Park.

See if you can get a car rental and do it on your own. All signs are in English, you'll be staying on Route 1 the entire way (well paved, easy to follow), and you can go at your own pace.

Jökulsárlón is one of the top attractions in Iceland and is by far the best thing to see in that part of the country, IMHO. From there, you're less than an hour from Skaftafell, which is an amazing glacier and National Park.

See if you can get a car rental and do it on your own. All signs are in English, you'll be staying on Route 1 the entire way (well paved, easy to follow), and you can go at your own pace.

The trips I've seen to Jökulsárlón are long days that are too long for our 10a - 6p time in port. How long did it take to drive there and take the boat tour?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Google Maps says it's a 2 hour and 4 minute drive from Djupivogur to Jokulsarlon. In actuality it will take longer because of all the oohing and aaahing you'll be doing en route.

The boat tour takes under an hour and isn't truly necessary to appreciate the site.

Cool! Why didn't I think of checking Google Maps! We would rather not drive because we like a beer or two during a long scenic drive and prefer to have a driver when alcohol is involved. Maybe we will be able to get a private tour or a driver.

Edited by Wayfairers

Keep in mind that it is an incredibly small town (under 500 people) in a fairly remote area of the country. I don't even think there is a car rental agency in town.

Is your ship not offering any excursions? That might be your best option in this case, since there isn't much of a tourist infrastructure in place.

If you really want to try to arrange something on your own, you might try contacting the one hotel in town, the Hótel Framtíð. They might know who to contact in the area for that sort of thing.

So have you unsuccessfully tried for a private tour?

Oh, didn't realize it is that small. Yes, the ship has excursions. However, we prefer the smaller size and lower cost of a private tour.

Haven't tried that, we've been in Iceland 3 times and had our own car the 2nd two trips (first was a 2 day layover we stayed in Reykjavik and did a Golden Circle tour)

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello,

Has anyone here gone on the boat tour to papey Island? The times are 1PM -5 PM and the Ocean Diamond departs Djupvogur at 6PM. The tour operator told me there has never been a problem with Ocean Diamond passengers missing the boat but wonder if there will be enough time. The ship pier is 1 km from the Papey boat harbor.

Thanks,

• 9 months later...

If anyone is looking for a tour of Djupivogur, Iceland, I would like to recommend Hrönn Jónsdóttir. Six of us recently took her tour while on Holland America's Voyage of the Vikings cruise. It was wonderful, with beautiful scenery and waterfalls along with Hrönn telling us all about the area. To top off an already wonderful tour, she invited us into her home and served us Icelandic treats that she had made herself along with coffee and tea. Here's information she provides on her tours on Djupivogur dot is.

"Types of guided tours in the Djúpivogur area:

- Short bus tours (3 - 5 hours): Viewing beautiful landscape, pretty waterfalls and other things in the area around Djúpivogur.

- "Stories of Djúpivogur" tour: Old and new legends, local stories and facts about Iceland.

- Djúpivogur tour: Facts and introductions about interesting things in the community, such as events, museums, daily life, food, places, fauna, flora... and of course... the weather.

- Djúpivogur "advanced" tour: The Djúpivogur tour but on top of that, Hrönn will also invite you to her home, where you can bake with her some Icelandic goods (kleinur and pönnukökur) and have kjötsúpa (icelandic meat soup), along with flatbrauð with smoked meet and homemade righbread with homemade paté. A very personal experience.

Hrönn is willing to guide you in your own car around Djúpivogur. She is very friendly and takes good care of her guests and their needs and wishes.

For booking please contact Hrönn Jónsdóttir:

Email: hronnjons@simnet.is

Tel: (+354) 478-8877 or 847-0387"

Joyce