Carnival vs. RC

SpeedsterX

Thanks for the reply. I didn't notice any difference in wait times, but I'm not always paying attention to that. In fact I wad surprised that it never felt crowded on the Freedom or Oasis.

You did remind me of another Carnival plus... the Hub App. That is a real plus for Carnival and we missed it a lot on Royal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Wait times are generally much worse on Carnival than a ship like Harmony.

Reading through the comments.... "Best value" "cheaper" "less expensive" "value".... That about sums it up. Carnival is cheap. The experience isn't comparable to the larger Royal ships. Carnival certainly competes with, or beats the smaller Royal ships, though. If prices were the same, it's clear Royal offers a better product on their larger ships than Carnival is able to provide. I would say Carnival's itineraries are generally superior, though.

Reading through the comments.... "Best value" "cheaper" "less expensive" "value".... That about sums it up. Carnival is cheap. The experience isn't comparable to the larger Royal ships. ...

My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.

My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.

These are mass market lines. Service changes like the wind from passenger to passenger. The food is about the same as is cleanliness. They all operate almost identically in these regards. You like to save money, it's OK, just admit that's the reason.

Originally posted by Moonarino My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.

These are mass market lines. Service changes like the wind from passenger to passenger. The food is about the same as is cleanliness. They all operate almost identically in these regards. You like to save money, it's OK, just admit that's the reason.

I reread that statement a few times and don't see where you're coming from that it has anything to do with saving money. Where's that coming from?

Originally posted by Moonarino My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown. We also sailed Allure a year after our first on Oasis, and both of those first cruises were all about the newness of the experience. But on our second Oasis cruise we were both sorely disappointed. Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.

I reread that statement a few times and don't see where you're coming from that it has anything to do with saving money. Where's that coming from?

Because you didn't read the entire thread.

I would have to see it to believe it.

Sure. I just so happened to snap pics of the prices as I was discussing it with another CC'er. It was for the same date, same amount of days, and both ocean view balcony.

I enjoyed Glory a lot in 2016. I'm not saying Carnival is bad. I merely pointed out that they are generally a cheaper option and when you can save $500 - $1000... I totally get it. Carnival puts out a great product. But it's kind of ridiculous to act like Carnival can offer the same or better quality experience you can get on a ship like Allure. And for the same price, it's a no brainer to sail Allure. These are mass market cruise lines with similar food and service. The ships make the difference. And if you follow this thread, lots and lots of comments about Carnivals low prices being a major factor - that's not my words. And when they were much cheaper, I'd agree that for many, it's the difference.

Glory:

Resized_20171026_152300.jpg

Allure:

Resized_20171026_152330.jpg

My last experience with RCI leads me to respectfully disagree. Cruising on ("larger") Oasis five years after our first cruise on her was pretty much a complete letdown.

I've had the same experience when sailing annually on Royal's Freedom class ships. I have no choice because it's a music charter, and I've often wished it could be held on a Carnival ship instead.

It comes down to a lot of little things:

Carnival has its hub app; Royal has no equivalent.

Carnival has allowed us to pay a cash deposit at the pier for cash-based onboard accounts; Royal hasn't had this option, at least out of FLL; we had to waste more time at Guest Services to do it.

Carnival ships have three elevator banks; Royal ships have only two...even on the biggest ships. Means a lot more walking.

Carnival has kiosks onboard where you can add cash to onboard accounts, get change or check your folio; Royal does not. Result: an even longer line at Guest Services.

Carnival has had water-slides seemingly forever; Royal is now playing catch-up and adding them to its ships. (Seems water-slides are a bit more popular than rock-climbing walls.)

On most ships nowadays, Carnival has more (and IMO better) fee-free dining options than Royal...especially for lunch.

Carnival does not have a delivery charge for room-service; Royal generally does, now.

....and so on.

Ship cleanliness was off, crew seemed to barely be there with few exceptions, MDR and other food was bland and/or overpriced for what we got, MDR service was some of the slowest I've ever seen... Just my experience, my opinion, but there it is. I don't even look at RCI as a cruise choice any more.

My Royal cruises have been on pretty clean ships, but I agree about MDR service and the blandness of the food.

And the WORST thing...we haven't gotten towel-animals from our stewards on Royal two years out of the last three! :D

I've had the same experience when sailing annually on Royal's Freedom class ships. I have no choice because it's a music charter, and I've often wished it could be held on a Carnival ship instead.

It comes down to a lot of little things:

Carnival has its hub app; Royal has no equivalent.

Carnival has allowed us to pay a cash deposit at the pier for cash-based onboard accounts; Royal hasn't had this option, at least out of FLL; we had to waste more time at Guest Services to do it.

Carnival ships have three elevator banks; Royal ships have only two...even on the biggest ships. Means a lot more walking.

Carnival has kiosks onboard where you can add cash to onboard accounts, get change or check your folio; Royal does not. Result: an even longer line at Guest Services.

Carnival has had water-slides seemingly forever; Royal is now playing catch-up and adding them to its ships. (Seems water-slides are a bit more popular than rock-climbing walls.)

On most ships nowadays, Carnival has more (and IMO better) fee-free dining options than Royal...especially for lunch.

Carnival does not have a delivery charge for room-service; Royal generally does, now.

....and so on.

My Royal cruises have been on pretty clean ships, but I agree about MDR service and the blandness of the food.

And the WORST thing...we haven't gotten towel-animals from our stewards on Royal two years out of the last three! :D

A lot of little things? Royal has a "lot of little things" that Carnival doesn't have either. Royal is playing catch up with water slides? Come on... Royal ships have better slides, and flow riders. But whatever. Carnival most definitely does not have more fee-free dining options than Royal. Not even close. Though some of Carnivals options are better than Royals. Notably the burgers at their buffet burger station (that they call Guys) are pretty good and the burritos are good, too. The pizzas are better on Carnival, too, but I prefer Sorrentos as I don't like waiting 30 minutes to get a slice of pizza. All that time you spend at guest services... I just can't relate I guess. Never find myself there and I certainly wouldn't factor that in to a cruise decision regardless. People really factor in the elevator banks? You are stretching here a bit...

I enjoyed Glory a lot in 2016. I'm not saying Carnival is bad. I merely pointed out that they are generally a cheaper option and when you can save $500 - $1000... I totally get it. Carnival puts out a great product. But it's kind of ridiculous to act like Carnival can offer the same or better quality experience you can get on a ship like Allure.

The difference is what you consider to be a better quality experience and what I consider to be a better quality experience. I can't stand shows (I fall asleep in them and the chairs are uncomfortable on all lines). I LOVE watching the movies on the big screen (because I can use the recliners). Imagine my disappointment when on the Oasis there was a total of 3 movies played (and one of them being LaLa Land....ugh) but 2 weeks later on the Vista there were 12 movies played (2 nights only had 1 movie, the rest had 2 movies per night). Much better quality experience for me on Carnival. As for the bells and whistles on the Oasis class, doesn't do anything for me. Just about the only nods I give to RCCL is that they still have a tablecloth every night in the MDR and the cheesecake lollipops. For my preferences, Carnival is the no brainer to take.

The difference is what you consider to be a better quality experience and what I consider to be a better quality experience. I can't stand shows (I fall asleep in them and the chairs are uncomfortable on all lines). I LOVE watching the movies on the big screen (because I can use the recliners). Imagine my disappointment when on the Oasis there was a total of 3 movies played (and one of them being LaLa Land....ugh) but 2 weeks later on the Vista there were 12 movies played (2 nights only had 1 movie, the rest had 2 movies per night). Much better quality experience for me on Carnival. As for the bells and whistles on the Oasis class, doesn't do anything for me. Just about the only nods I give to RCCL is that they still have a tablecloth every night in the MDR and the cheesecake lollipops. For my preferences, Carnival is the no brainer to take.

It never would have occurred to me that someone would so heavily factor movies in to their cruising decisions. More power to ya.

It never would have occurred to me that someone would so heavily factor movies in to their cruising decisions. More power to ya.

This just goes to show how many things involves people's decisions on how or why they cruise. It is SO subjective. :D

This just goes to show how many things involves people's decisions on how or why they cruise. It is SO subjective. :D

Yep, that's why they have compare ships feature.

I simply didn't like the overall feel of employees on RCL. I felt "privileged" to be on RCL, where as I feel like a guest on carnival.

I just thought the overall service was lackluster

Been on 1 RCL and 5 Carnival. RCL cruise was my first. But when I have the option EVERYNIGHT of going to the Piano Bar (not a lounge lizard piano player, but a real song a long piano bar) and/or comedian it was hands down Carnival for my cruising money.

I think my RCL cruise had maybe 2 or 3 nights of a comedian and NO sing a long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the same mix as you do, but it's been so long since our RCL cruise that I don't recall much. I want to say that the food seemed lackluster compared to Carnival.

Never had a issue with employees, but the dining room experience wasn't as fun as we normally had experience in a couple of prior Carnival cruises.

We don't really have a preference to a cruise line as we're at a point where itinerary is starting to take precedence on which cruise line to sail.

Anyone can find something wrong with any cruise line.

A lot of little things? Royal has a "lot of little things" that Carnival doesn't have either. Royal is playing catch up with water slides? Come on... Royal ships have better slides, and flow riders. But whatever.

Hmm, not so sure about that. The Vista has a really good "kaleidoscope" tube-slide that was better than anything at a water-park I've been to (excepting Atlantis). The bodyslide was good, too.

On the Independence, a much bigger ship.....no slides....yet. *sigh* I'm not sure how safe the Flowrider would be for me, at age 53; I'm worried about breaking a bone.

Carnival most definitely does not have more fee-free dining options than Royal. Not even close.

Please list all the lunch-time fee-free dining options on the Indy.

Then compare with those on the Vista.

Vista has quite a few more...and it's a smaller ship. (Watch out for that slippery tile in the Lido buffet, though!)

Comparing, say, Majesty with one of Carnival's refurbished Fantasy-class boats, Carnival comes out on top, as witness your comments below about Guy's and the burrito place -- both of which are being added as ships are drydocked.

Though some of Carnivals options are better than Royals. Notably the burgers at their buffet burger station (that they call Guys) are pretty good and the burritos are good, too.

Oddly enough, Guy Fieri calls them Guy's, too. Funny, that.

The pizzas are better on Carnival, too, but I prefer Sorrentos as I don't like waiting 30 minutes to get a slice of pizza.

Whew. On that, considering Sorrentos pizza....I prefer to wait. Or go around the corner to the Deli, or (if after 11pm) to the fee-free late-night serving station (called varying things on different ships.) The late-night lasagna on the Conquest was awesome!

People really factor in the elevator banks? You are stretching here a bit...

Not everyone does, but I couldn't help but notice how much farther I had to walk on a Freedom-class ship just to get to an elevator. Royal's elevator banks have more elevators, but they're farther apart and it averages out to a longer walk...and this, on a ship that's longer than anything Carnival puts to sea.

I LOVE watching the movies on the big screen (because I can use the recliners). Imagine my disappointment when on the Oasis there was a total of 3 movies played (and one of them being LaLa Land....ugh) but 2 weeks later on the Vista there were 12 movies played (2 nights only had 1 movie, the rest had 2 movies per night). Much better quality experience for me on Carnival.

I was amazed at how popular the night movies are on Carnival. When they were showing the third Hunger Games movie, there wasn't a chair or a lounger to be had anywhere on Lido or Panorama Deck. Plus, free fresh popcorn!

Just about the only nods I give to RCCL is that they still have a tablecloth every night in the MDR and the cheesecake lollipops.

Hate to disappoint you, but a year ago on the Indy those glorious cheesecake lollipops were nowhere to be found at the Café Promenade. I'd been looking forward to them -- in moderation, of course. :halo:

ANOTHER TERRIBLE CUTBACK! :D

Some of you take this CCL/RCI thing way too serious - to the point of needing counseling.

I don't need counseling, I don't need counseling, I don't need counseling...besides it cuts into my cruising

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hate to disappoint you, but a year ago on the Indy those glorious cheesecake lollipops were nowhere to be found at the Café Promenade. I'd been looking forward to them -- in moderation, of course. :halo:

ANOTHER TERRIBLE CUTBACK! :D

10 months ago (early Mar 2017) they had plenty of them on the Oasis (don't worry, I ate your share of them too) :D . I have another Oasis cruise this December so hopefully they will still be there.

Been on 1 RCL and 5 Carnival. RCL cruise was my first. But when I have the option EVERYNIGHT of going to the Piano Bar (not a lounge lizard piano player, but a real song a long piano bar) and/or comedian it was hands down Carnival for my cruising money.

I think my RCL cruise had maybe 2 or 3 nights of a comedian and NO sing a long.

That's odd. The Schooner Bar on RCI ships is the piano bar and I've never known it to not be audience interactive.

As for the comparison between these 2 lines, I'd say its 6 in one, half dozen in the other. I've been on a lot more RCI cruises than CCL, but I can tell that each has their strengths/weaknesses. All in all, I prefer RCI over CCL. But neither are my favorite. I'm becoming less tolerant of people so I'm leaning more toward lines like Celebrity and HAL nowadays....even though DW and I are the babies on board. ;)

I’m sure I posted a comment already, but can’t help putting in my 2 cents. We cruised 5 Carnival ships before trying 2 RCCL ships. What we found was the “WOW” factor on RCCL was greater, but the food was not as good as we remembered on Carnival. But there was 7 years between our last Carnival cruise and our cruise on the Indy. We loved the Promenade on the 2 RCCL ships, but felt Sorrento’s pizza was not as good as pizza on Carnival. We had a hard time finding any complimentary beverages, other than water and coffee in the Promenade Cafe, after the buffet closed up. So, we decided to try NCL in January 2017. I just have to say “super wow” concerning the ship we sailed (the Getaway) and their complimentary and specialty food choices! I know this thread is to compare RCCL and Carnival, but I just had to throw this into the argument. And let me add that we are not cruise line snobs, we will cruise any ship on any line that appeals to us. We like to have an open mind when we set foot on a ship, and just enjoy ourselves, no matter what line it is. With that said, I board the Getaway again in 2 days, but will be booking the Carnival Breeze for January 2019 when I return. Happy sailing all! ⛴