Question about "sailaway" bookings

EllieinNJ

If you are looking for absolute value, the sailway category may be for you IF you don't care about the perks. As people who rarely drink, we went for the sailaway because just the service charge for the drinking package would have cost us a few hundred dollars on our 13 day TA. We choose to spend our money on the excursions.

Our decision ended up being a good deal as we were assigned our cabin within a few days of booking and the cabin is about twice as expensive as the lowest cabin in our sailaway category! I have never been asked to bid, so I can't answer that question.

Have you done the math? The last two balconies I booked (solo) as sail away the price difference was about $600 from the lowest level price with perks. Don't drink, so drink package was off the table (but even if I did drink - would I drink 8 $10 drinks a day? If not, I could probably drink a la carte for a reasonable amount) Don't care about photos. Meal plan is the perk I'd choose... could still get it for $89. $50 excursion credit? Was going to Bermuda, so $50. Get 30 mins free internet for being platinum, so internet perk not a deal killer, and I could still purchase it should I choose. Basically if I separately purchased the individual components of the perks that I actually wanted, I would miss nothing AND still be hundreds of dollars ahead.

So take a look at the costs (factoring in the charges you will incur for the dining/drinking packages) and see if you can go with sailaway and still get all the "perks" you want simply by buying them outright. Of course you will want to keep in mind the ship you are sailing and whether there are rooms in that category that are deal killers for you. For example, the Dawn has no obstructed view balconies, so I felt very comfortable doing sailaway there.

We saved roughly $1,100 on each of our three balconies a couple of weeks ago. Booked the Sailaway rate. Even with our drinks, corkage fees for 10 bottles of wine and specialty dining, we still came out way ahead.

I’ve done the sail away rate and been invited for upgrade advantage bid a couple days after booking. For our sailing it was a considerable savings. Not long ago it was a minimal discount to go with the sail away rates but for ours it was several hundred $ off pick your own mini suite pricing.

I did a Sail Away booking for our cruise in August and we ended up on Deck 11 in a sideways inside...great cabin. Would do that again in a heartbeat as it saved a lot of money and I don't really care much about most of the perks. I was given the opportunity to bid on upgrades within a few days of booking.

Thanks for your responses. But does anyone know if you still get Latitudes points?

We were able to bid for an upgrade but ended up just paying the difference for going from an inside to balcony. In looking at my Latitudes account, I received points for the sailing.

Thanks for your responses. But does anyone know if you still get Latitudes points?

The answer is yes. You don't get the "Free at Sea" and similar perks, but you do get Latitudes points. In fact, if you book one of the Latitudes specials of the month, you also get the double points.

The answer is yes. You don't get the "Free at Sea" and similar perks, but you do get Latitudes points. In fact, if you book one of the Latitudes specials of the month, you also get the double points.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

I did a Sail Away booking for our cruise in August and we ended up on Deck 11 in a sideways inside...great cabin. Would do that again in a heartbeat as it saved a lot of money and I don't really care much about most of the perks. I was given the opportunity to bid on upgrades within a few days of booking.

Did you end up with a partially or fully obstructed view from your balcony?

I understand you do not get the regular amenities with the sailaway prices but do you get the extra points toward your level and will you still be eligible to bid on upgrades?

Hi, I recently sailed on Jewel with "Sail Away Balcony", which means without the Free at Sea Offers. The cabin still provided the usual amenities and we had a great time.

Upon completion of my cruise trip with them, the Lattitude points were added in my account. Very sure of this.

Also fyi, I initially booked the "Sail Away Oceanview" cabin and later decided to change to "Sail Away Balcony" when the price dropped and lower than "Sail Away Oceanview". It was by chance as I had the habit of checking the rate.

As for bidding, it's really based on luck if you decide last minute to bid for higher category cabin.