From Auckland Airport to Cruise Port - How best to get there?

Marjean

We (my husband and I) are arriving in Auckland at 9:10 am from Los Angeles International Airport. Our cruise ship, the Diamond Princess is leaving at 6pm on the same day so all should be well. Princess is offering a bus for $54 per person to get to the Port but it occurred to us that we may get a Taxi or other transportation cheaper.

We are unable to determine how far away the airport is from the port and what would be the best way to get there. We will have one large piece of luggage and one carry on each.

Any advice?

The port is in the waterfront area of downtown Auckland, just on the edge of the city. I'd expect a taxi from the airport to cost around $NZ65 to $NZ75. If your bus price is in US Dollars then for two people the cost will be about half for a taxi. Cheaper options would be shuttle buses but the hassle factor increases proportionately. Assuming your flight is on time you should be in a taxi a little after 10.00am and at the port before 11.00am. Assuming your arrival is on a weekday and not the weekend, you'll miss the morning peak so it should be a smooth run in normal traffic to the port. A taxi will be able to carry two passengers and the amount of luggage you indicate. Taxis accept major credit cards if you want to avoid changing money.

Edited by turtlemichael

Agreed with the above - there are definitely cheaper options and you should have plenty of time (assuming no flight delays!) so if you're comfortable with risk and are happy to look at alternatives they will save you money (depending how many of you there are, and what sort of options you'd consider). A shuttle, airport bus and taxi are the options.

http://www.supershuttle.co.nz/(S(3eysmbzepx2bzn551pfb2njz))/index.aspx

I hope this helps.We are taking it to the hotel for us it is $35 nz for 1st passenger then $7nz for each of the next 3 in our party.The port is not far from our hotel.That gives you some idea You may have to email them thru the website.Princess transfers are way too expensive.IMHO

Good luck

From the Auckland airport ,to the cruise terminal,

(without traffic hassles) you are looking at about 20/30 minutes , direct taxi ride.

My suggestion for anyone arriving in Auckland in the morning and heading to the cruise terminal is to grab a taxi, and negotiate with the driver to take you there via Cornwall Park.

Its on the way, and will give you a great intro to NZ ,

with sheep and cattle grazing in the fields, and a drive up to the summit of (what was once) One Tree Hill, offers amazing views.

There is no shortage of taxis lined up at the airport, , but I would recommend looking out for the Co-op Taxis, as they are owner drivers.

(without traffic hassles) you are looking at about 20/30 minutes , direct taxi ride.

My suggestion for anyone arriving in Auckland in the morning and heading to the cruise terminal is to grab a taxi, and negotiate with the driver to take you there via Cornwall Park.

with sheep and cattle grazing in the fields, and a drive up to the summit of (what was once) One Tree Hill, offers amazing views.

There is no shortage of taxis lined up at the airport, , but I would recommend looking out for the Co-op Taxis, as they are owner drivers.

Now jokingly known as None-tree Hill. ;) It's a shame!

Seriously, I second Kiwi Kruzer's recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestion. How can we tell a co-op taxi vs. a non co-op one? Is a co-op taxi a better choice?

Thanks for your suggestion. How can we tell a co-op taxi vs. a non co-op one? Is a co-op taxi a better choice?

They will have this sign on the door.

Picture_26.png

I prefer them, as being owner operated they tend to be in tip top condition, and offer a good service, opposed to some of the so called discount cabs, that may be a bit untidy, and the drivers may not speak good English.

The other good taxi company in Auckland is Corporate Cabs..

corporate_cab.gif

• 2 years later...

It's been years ago you posted this but thanks for asking this question. Were holding a cruise reservation for 2013 which starts in Auckland, and this was one of our questions. My first post on Cruise Critic, even though I've been reading it for about six months? We'll see how this goes? Quick reply, advanced, quote message in reply??? what is this stuff?

Edited by S148TOY

Corporate cabs are the best and they do meet-and-great (so, will stand there with a sign with your name on it and then help you with your luggage). Phone number in Auckland is 377 0 773.

It's true the airbus route ends at the ferry terminal (the wharf next to where cruise ships dock) but bear in mind this will take longer than the Taxi. It is cheap though and a far better option that a cruise transfer in most regards.

It's been years ago you posted this but thanks for asking this question. Were holding a cruise reservation for 2013 which starts in Auckland, and this was one of our questions. My first post on Cruise Critic, even though I've been reading it for about six months? We'll see how this goes? Quick reply, advanced, quote message in reply??? what is this stuff?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

On which ship will you sailing?

• 1 year later...

Hi Kiwi Kruzer

I am on a mission to find all I can about what to see before my cruise. Thank you so much for the taxi info Oceania wants 109. per person one way US dollars. This will be on a big bus. Do you think the rate and availability will be no problem in 2/0f 2015 I am so excited to do this cruise. mike4ail@yahoo.com any other hints would be very appreciated Thank You Gail

We hired a car from the airport and dropped it off in Auckland. It was a short, less than 5 minute walk to the wharf. We did stay overnight though but if you think you might have a little time to drive around the city and look around it could be another option.

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from Auckland and our cruise. We were picked up by the Super Shuttle and it worked out great. They dropped us right at our hotel. We had a scheduled time and they were right there in a mini van with a trailer for our luggage. There were 3 of us plus 6 others that were being taken to different hotels. A place for all our luggage and room for all of us. Could ask for nothing else. It is a long ride to the port.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone!

I am trying to make hotel and transportation plans. Does anyone know the name of the port in Aukland? Or does anyone know if there is transport from the airport to the cruise ship dock in Aukland.

I will be going over from Seattle to Sydney on Royal, then on the 8th November taking the Nordam from Aukland. I've booked a hotel close to AUK but not sure about the cheapest way to get to the cruise.

I've never cruised with Holland before and would much prefer to be with RCL but they don't have a cruise to NZ until Nov 16th

If anyone is from OZ or NZ and can give me some information, that would be very helpful and I thank you in advance! :)

A taxi would be the easiest option from airport to cruise port, but taxis are not cheap in NZ. Expect about $50 USD each way and allow for an hour with traffic. I guessing it would be about 40 ish kms each way.

Hi everyone!

I am trying to make hotel and transportation plans. Does anyone know the name of the port in Aukland? Or does anyone know if there is transport from the airport to the cruise ship dock in Aukland.

I will be going over from Seattle to Sydney on Royal, then on the 8th November taking the Nordam from Aukland. I've booked a hotel close to AUK but not sure about the cheapest way to get to the cruise.

A taxi is easiest and takes about half an hour from Auckland airport. It will cost NZ $60-75 depending on traffic.

Are you staying in a hotel close to the airport or in downtown Auckland. Cruise ships leave from two wharves in downtown Auckland - Princes Wharf and Queens Wharf - and they are only a short distance apart, with the Ferry Terminal in between.

If you are flying from Sydney to Auckland a day or so before your cruise it would be much nicer to stay in a hotel in the city, rather than out by the airport.