An idea for a sticky

Host Hattie

The recent Transatlantic thread had a couple of posts with links to photographs & collections of menus/programmes etc - thanks peppern & pmb1.

It made me think that perhaps we should have a sticky where we keep this sort of information.

Of course we need to bear in mind the rules on advertising -

"I have just started my own cruise site; can I post it here?

The answer is: it depends.

If your site is a hobby site and you are just chronicling your cruise travels, by all means share your site with our members.

However, if you have created a site with cruise reviews and forums for profit (or any other cruise-related material), please find another venue in which to advertise."

But in general, do you think this would be a good idea ? Helpful to those thinking of trying Cunard ? Would you be happy to have your information in a sticky ?

Let me know what you think,

Thanks

I would welcome a sticky such as you are proposing.

The first item I would suggest for such a sticky is a link to Cunard's "Frequently Asked Questions" page at http://ask.cunard.com. This provides a wealth of information and is much more useful than the limited FAQs page provided on Cunard's web site for North America. Quite a few questions on this forum end up being answered by providing information from "ask.cunard.com" and new members in North American probably have no idea that resource even exists.

Regards,

John.

I would welcome a sticky such as you are proposing.

The first item I would suggest for such a sticky is a link to Cunard's "Frequently Asked Questions" page at http://ask.cunard.com. This provides a wealth of information and is much more useful than the limited FAQs page provided on Cunard's web site for North America. Quite a few questions on this forum end up being answered by providing information from "ask.cunard.com" and new members in North American probably have no idea that resource even exists.

Regards,

John.

Good idea, thanks for the feedback so far.

Host Hattie,

Do you envision this sticky as a single master page that only you (and other admins) would maintain by adding links to additional resources as they are brought to your attention? I think that would probably work the best if that's possible.

Regards,

John.

Host Hattie,

Do you envision this sticky as a single master page that only you (and other admins) would maintain by adding links to additional resources as they are brought to your attention? I think that would probably work the best if that's possible.

Regards,

John.

Probably, I'm hoping I could close it once we were happy with what was on it & then re-open and update as necessary.

I'm not even sure if that's possible, I'll need to check my Hosting for Dummies !

But really it would be a resource for everyone so I'm happy to go with whatever works best.

Great idea. The opportunity to have such information at a click is very appealing. Cunard's own website can sometimes be difficult to navigate so to have info here has to be a bonus.

The simplest ideas are often the best :)

It is a good idea, HH. I agree with John (bluemarble, post #3 above) about telling folks about Cunard's FAQs. And I appreciate your generous thank you.

Best regards, Paul

It is a good idea, HH. I agree with John (bluemarble, post #3 above) about telling folks about Cunard's FAQs. And I appreciate your generous thank you.

Best regards, Paul

Would you be happy to have a link to your albums on there ?

Great, it looks like I should go ahead then. I've got a busy couple of days coming up so I'll try and get it done on Sunday.

In the meantime if anyone has any other suggestions of things to add, let me know.

You can post here or email if you'd prefer.

Thanks

My experience of this board is that most often, questions are answered promptly, and with a variety of responses. Obviously, some passengers are more experienced than others, and a few have extensive, well done references (most especially photos) in reply to the specific question asked.

So, just my personal opinion, but I feel that those generous posters on this forum (you know who you are, and kudos to you) will continue to respond to specific questions without the need for "a sticky". Moreover, these generous passengers post links to their photo albums and blogs - anyone with an interest has only to click on that link.

While I appreciate the more personal response to individual questions posted on this forum, I bow to the apparent majority who feels otherwise.

So, if we're taking a vote here, I say there is no need for a 'sticky'. But that seems to be the trend, so have at it!

Salacia

Edited to add: The Cunard forum has been largely "sticky-free" compared to other CC forums I have visited. Something I rather appreciated.

Edited by Salacia

My experience of this board is that most often, questions are answered promptly, and with a variety of responses. Obviously, some passengers are more experienced than others, and a few have extensive, well done references (most especially photos) in reply to the specific question asked.

So, just my personal opinion, but I feel that those generous posters on this forum (you know who you are, and kudos to you) will continue to respond to specific questions without the need for "a sticky". Moreover, these generous passengers post links to their photo albums and blogs - anyone with an interest has only to click on that link.

While I appreciate the more personal response to individual questions posted on this forum, I bow to the apparent majority who feels otherwise.

So, if we're taking a vote here, I say there is no need for a 'sticky'. But that seems to be the trend, so have at it!

Salacia

Edited to add: The Cunard forum has been largely "sticky-free" compared to other CC forums I have visited. Something I rather appreciated.

Hi Salacia,

I understand your reservations, and thank you for laying them out so well.

I would hope that this innovation (which I support), will not lead to frequent "see the sticky above" posts in answer to new member's questions. Experience will show us that.

Where I think I may be able to slightly assist with an answer, I will still attempt to individually help a questioner, whenever I feel able to in some small way, as generous people have assisted me in the past.

Sincere best wishes :)

Salacia

I do worry that maybe it will stop people asking/answering questions, but we know we have lots of lurkers and people who only post after they have travelled. I suggest we review it after a few months and see if it's been useful/appreciated or should be reviewed.

Hopefully one extra sticky shouldn't clutter up the place too badly.

One more idea I have for this sticky might be to include links to the Cunard pages for each ship's deck plans. Unlike several years ago, the deck plans are now relatively easy to find on the Cunard web site. But perhaps direct links to them on our sticky could still prove helpful to some.

Queen Elizabeth deck plans: http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-elizabeth/deck-plans/

Queen Mary 2 deck plans: http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/deck-plans/

Queen Victoria deck plans: http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-victoria/deck-plans/

Regards,

John.

One more idea I have for this sticky might be to include links to the Cunard pages for each ship's deck plans. Unlike several years ago, the deck plans are now relatively easy to find on the Cunard web site. But perhaps direct links to them on our sticky could still prove helpful to some.

Queen Elizabeth deck plans: http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-elizabeth/deck-plans/

Queen Mary 2 deck plans: http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/deck-plans/

Queen Victoria deck plans: http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-victoria/deck-plans/

Regards,

John.

Hi Blue Marble. Just my personal experience, but the deck plans (cabin categories) have been through several evolutions in the recent past.

So, just to mention that any 'sticky' regarding deck plans would need to be updated as warranted. For example, passengers booking voyages/cruises after QM2 dry dock in 2016 need to know the most current information, once that information is released. Kudos to the OP for taking on that task.

No doubt any 'sticky' relative to deck plans will be updated by those in control of the 'sticky', and will be much appreciated.

Regards

Salacia