P&O Charter flight delay compensation.

piatro

Our P&O charter flight with Thomson back from barbados in december was delayed for over 27 hrs has anyone ever had any joy claiming compensation from either P&O or thomson.We and all the other passengers on the flight were treated quite badly and so far only am getting no response from either company.

The compensation rules as I understand covers any EU flight whether scheduled or chartered which leaves an EU airport or arrives at a UK airport by an EU carrier. So a Barbados to UK flight should be covered assuming it was Thomson or Thomas Cook Airlines as long as it is not due to extraordinary circumstances.

I would contact the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) and ask whether your particular flight is covered under the compensation rules. To get P&O to pay up may be difficult but you will have two options open to you. Either go to the small claims court, shouldn't cost that much or go to the many NoWin No Fee solicitors. Your choice.

P&O should compensate you IMO for that ridiculously long delay especially if you were treated badly. We were on the ship on the 17th December, we were lucky our flight was only delayed an hour but did here of a Manchester flight that had to change planes due to technical fault. A technical aircraft fault is not regarded as an extraordinary circumstance.

Best of Luck.

mechanical problem with one engine had to fly in pats from uk then next day we waited 3 extra hours for repair then planes radar failed at end of runway plane had to taxi to taxi back to have further repairs ,also when flight was called on 2cnd day it was found that flight crew and pilot had not turned up due tomson not assigning a crew to the flight plus numerous other cockups new many detail here, altogether a most unpleasant experience.

We were delayed 24 hrs coming back from Barbados last February. The Thomson flight was delayed as they had run out of de-icer in Manchester Airport! We were given a form as we landed with information that we could use to claim from our insurance company. We didn't do this, we went straight to Thomson.

Headliners of what we did:

- Thomson failed to reply and after we contacted them again they referred us to the CAA

- the CAA advised us of the compensation scheme overseen by CEDR

- CEDR can be contacted online at CEDR.com/aviation, telephone 0207 5366099

- you can complete an on-line claim form, make sure they acknowledge receipt

- don't give up, under EU regulations you are entitled to at least 600 euros per person for this sort of delay

It took us 7 months because Thomson used delaying tactics and because CEDR recorded the flight as a Thomas Cook flight not Thomson.

There was an article in the Times a couple of months ago, criticising airlines for dragging their feet on this issue.

Mechanical problems are not a valid reason for an airline to refuse to pay compensation.

See http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2271213/How-claim-EU-flight-delay-compensation-EC-261-2004.html for more details...

Six years ago I was on a flight from Gatwick to Portugal that was delayed due to a mechanical problem. It took me three years but I did get the compensation from Thomas Cook - I had to go as far as issuing a formal notification that I intended to take them to small claims court. http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/letter/letter-before-small-claims-court-claim

VP

Hi, we had a 12+ hour delay going to Barbados from Gatwick several trips back, we were treated appallingly with no info. On return I contacted both Thomas cook and PO, both refused to acknowledge my complaint until the second and third letters. Both basically shrugged and said tough.

Fast forward 2 years and there was a piece on money saving expert with all the info and letters needed to complain.

As I'm a scrapbooker and had kept all travel docs, boarding passes and info in a scrapbook I could provide all info and ended up with 300ish compensation from Thomas cook for the delay and 150 obc on next cruise as they admitted they could have dealt with my complaint better.

Look at money saving expert website, it's got lots of info and travel stuff.

Good luck.

H

Many thanks for all your kind and helpful comments, we have lodged a claim with thomson using the martin lewis website. If p&o and thomson had behaved in a more reasonable manner we would probably have not bothered to pursue the matter, but now we will not let it drop. Having taken lots of cruises we are now giving p&o a miss and have now booked our next one with celebrity, thomson is no longer in our good books although both companies have the opportunity to redeem themselves although expect neither will bother.

I wish you all happy holidays.

Because your plane broke down they actually gave you the plane we were meant to fly back on so we ended up being delayed as well while they turned around a plane that had landed earlier. That meant we had a 3 1/2 hour delay not like your 27!

Many thanks for all your kind and helpful comments, we have lodged a claim with thomson using the martin lewis website. If p&o and thomson had behaved in a more reasonable manner we would probably have not bothered to pursue the matter, but now we will not let it drop. Having taken lots of cruises we are now giving p&o a miss and have now booked our next one with celebrity, thomson is no longer in our good books although both companies have the opportunity to redeem themselves although expect neither will bother.

I wish you all happy holidays.

You should get your compensation, eventually. We had a delay on a P&O chartered Thompson aircraft back fro our Caribbean cruise flying from New Orleans. The delay totalled nearly 5 hours due to a technical fault with the outbound flight that was coming out to form our return flight. Thompson tried a few excuses such as 'technical faults are excluded', 'you were given food vouchers' and ' we had to produce the ticket Stubbs to prove we were on the plane'. We then issued a Country Court claim and 1 week before the court date set Thompson rang and offered the full set compensation less £100. We accepted it since two of us would have had to take the day off work to attend and have to prepare a lot of paperwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our P&O charter flight with Thomson back from barbados in december was delayed for over 27 hrs has anyone ever had any joy claiming compensation from either P&O or thomson.We and all the other passengers on the flight were treated quite badly and so far only am getting no response from either company.

Try this link

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/holiday-cancellations-and-compensation/if-your-flights-delayed-or-cancelled/

• 1 month later...
We were delayed 24 hrs coming back from Barbados last February. The Thomson flight was delayed as they had run out of de-icer in Manchester Airport! We were given a form as we landed with information that we could use to claim from our insurance company. We didn't do this, we went straight to Thomson.

Headliners of what we did:

- Thomson failed to reply and after we contacted them again they referred us to the CAA

- the CAA advised us of the compensation scheme overseen by CEDR

- CEDR can be contacted online at CEDR.com/aviation, telephone 0207 5366099

- you can complete an on-line claim form, make sure they acknowledge receipt

- don't give up, under EU regulations you are entitled to at least 600 euros per person for this sort of delay

It took us 7 months because Thomson used delaying tactics and because CEDR recorded the flight as a Thomas Cook flight not Thomson.

There was an article in the Times a couple of months ago, criticising airlines for dragging their feet on this issue.

We went through this process for a 23 hour delay in a flight out to Barbados (Thomson) Whilst it was rather long winded Thomson did not contest our claim and we received 1200 Euros

Thanks for your response thomson have ignored all contacts from ourselves we have now passed it to CEDR

who will let us know by 17 th march. It is clear Thomson hope if they ignore the problem it will go away, we however

are made of sterner stuff. One thing is certain we will never travel with Thomson again.

Thanks for your response thomson have ignored all contacts from ourselves we have now passed it to CEDR

who will let us know by 17 th march. It is clear Thomson hope if they ignore the problem it will go away, we however

are made of sterner stuff. One thing is certain we will never travel with Thomson again.

We only got a response from Thomson after we copied P&O into our correspondence The CEDR process is very structured with strict deadlines. Despite this, they had to put pressure on Thomson to pay up. Make sure you keep all flight tickets etc. As a last ditch attempt to scuttle our payment they asked for proof of flying :mad:

27 hours of tech and operational delays by Thomson is not an exceptional circumstance they can use to wriggle out of

so you will get paid out - just persevere do not give up

copy to and get P&O to pressure the airline as well and frankly P&O should have looked after u better so insist on an OBC for a future cruise

if Thomson want P&O's flight contracts in future then thomson have to try harder ) note P&O have gone with Virgin on some cruises now)

good luck but i am sure you will get paid out

• 1 month later...

After a long 4 month delay and a robust conversation with Thomson customer services!!!

finally received 1200 euros flight delay compensation, Thomson were difficult to deal with but with the help of the Resolver website and CEDR arbitration service we got there in the end.

Thomsons attitude has ensured that they will never again have me as a customer.

P & O also did not want to know their loss, as we will not cruise with them again have booked our next 2 cruises with celebrity. All companies make mistakes and have problems its how they deal with it that counts.

P & O also did not want to know their loss, as we will not cruise with them again have booked our next 2 cruises with celebrity. All companies make mistakes and have problems its how they deal with it that counts.

You will get your €600/pp compensation, just be patient. Give them a sensible time limit in writing advising them of your intention that you plan to take action thru the County Courts if you don't get a favourable response within 28 days.

Changing to Celebrity has probably cost you extra to what P&O charge, but agree they offer a far better cruising experience. Remember when you arrange your flight to/fro the US ensure your Operating Carrier is EU registered otherwise you will get Zero Compensation from airlines like Delta and American Airlines. The Marketting Operator (the one you buy the ticket off) is not responsible for any delays, cancellations or any operational problems, so choose your flight with great care and also remember Celebrity Choice Air is not ideal in this regard.

You will get your €600/pp compensation, just be patient. Give them a sensible time limit in writing advising them of your intention that you plan to take action thru the County Courts if you don't get a favourable response within 28 days.

He has already received the €1200 due to him. ;)

Flight delay compensation applies to ANY airline flying from an EU airport.

INCORRECT, yes EU Law does apply to any airline flying from an EU airport but the OP was flying from Barbados to an EU airport, that does not qualify unless the Airline is EU registered

INCORRECT, yes EU Law does apply to any airline flying from an EU airport but the OP was flying from Barbados to an EU airport, that does not qualify unless the Airline is EU registered

What I stated is correct in that any airline flying from an EU airport is covered. Some earlier posts seem to indicate that a non EU airline is not covered whether flying to or from an EU airport. I agree a non EU airline flying from outside the EU to the EU is not covered whereas an EU airline is.

Brian