Spencer Ambrose new Snorkeling Adventure Tour--Has anyone done this?

mcmarya

Hey, Merinski! We're on the same sailing. Which tour did you book? For us, it was a toss-up as to the snorkeling only as opposed to the Jalousie Beach Break. Jalousie won, but I'd love to hear what other people thought of this one. We can always change our minds u till the last few days and do a different tour, too.

It was good! The snorkel adventure is very much a DIY tour, meaning it’s mostly just transport to and from the beaches and less of a “tour”, but we like that. The guide was friendly and humourous. We left on time. We were quite late getting back, but still plenty of time to browse shops etc

How late did you get back? And do you know why you were so late? Did you do the early one or the later?

How much time did you get in each spot? And were the two beaches comparable in snorkeling quality? Sorry for all the questions - i'm obviously curious. Still on the fence as to which tour I want to do.

How late did you get back? And do you know why you were so late? Did you do the early one or the later?

How much time did you get in each spot? And were the two beaches comparable in snorkeling quality? Sorry for all the questions - i'm obviously curious. Still on the fence as to which tour I want to do.

The two tours are very similar. The snorkeling tour you’re more or less left to your own devices and lunch is not included. That was about the only difference between the two tours. I say “late” because it was supposed to be 4 hour, half day, and ended up being closer to 6 hours. It was fine w us as more time at the beach... and we ended up getting basically the full day for the cheaper price. It was roughly 2 plus hours at each beach, plus about 40 minutes each way in transport. No specific reason we were late, just very laid back, and nobody was complaining lol. In other words, don’t book anything for the afternoon after this tour, as return times are “flexible”.

Anse Chastenet has beautiful black sand and a lovely fringe of palms. The water is clearer. There is a wider variety of fish, and more fish to see, at least on the day of our tour.

Jalousie / Sugar beach is a crescent surrounded by mountains. The view is stunning. The water is less clear and it is rocky getting in and out, but when you get into deeper water you will see massive coral formations. Massive.

• 1 month later...

We just did the Land, Sea and Beach day with Spencer and the folks that did the Anse Chastenet plus Jalousie snorkel were on the same boat we were - we dropped them at Anse Chastenet on the way to Soufrière and they rejoined us while we were ending our trip at Jalousie, so their tour was also a full day as others have indicated.

IMO, the snorkel only tour is a better way to go, especially if you like some independence. You aren't missing much by missing the volcano or mud baths, and you're not missing ANYTHING by missing the lunch - it was extremely meager and the food was poorly cooked. We would have vastly preferred to be on our own to stop into a local restaurant. Live and learn!

We just did the Land, Sea and Beach day with Spencer and the folks that did the Anse Chastenet plus Jalousie snorkel were on the same boat we were - we dropped them at Anse Chastenet on the way to Soufrière and they rejoined us while we were ending our trip at Jalousie, so their tour was also a full day as others have indicated.

IMO, the snorkel only tour is a better way to go, especially if you like some independence. You aren't missing much by missing the volcano or mud baths, and you're not missing ANYTHING by missing the lunch - it was extremely meager and the food was poorly cooked. We would have vastly preferred to be on our own to stop into a local restaurant. Live and learn!

Thank you for your input. I just booked with them yesterday wanting to do the mud bath. Could you explain why you didn't like the mud bath? Thanks.

Thank you for your input. I just booked with them yesterday wanting to do the mud bath. Could you explain why you didn't like the mud bath? Thanks.

Actually, I shouldn't have mentioned the mud baths, as we elected to do the volcano tour instead. The volcano portion was fine but nothing I'd go out of my way for, and the mud bath people didn't have much time before we were all shuffled off to a very crowded waterfall. The mud bath folks on our tour seemed to enjoy it, although there was a lot of consternation about how dirty it made their bathing suits. Um...it's mud!

• 3 months later...

we were thinking of the "half day" snorkel tour too- but it sounds like it's a little longer than half day. Is there an opportunity to buy food at either of the beaches? The adults will be full of cruise ship fare no doubt, but the kids might need a snack of something since lunch isn't included.

DH and I did the snorkel only tour in April. There was a bar that also had limited snacks at Anse Chastanet. There were only 4 people that did this tour, so we started in the boat with the people doing the land and sea tour. We were dropped off at Anse Chastanet and were given a time to be back at the dock. There were chairs and umbrellas to rent here ( (10.00 each). The snorkeling here was some of the best I have done. The corals were very large and varied and we also saw lots of fish and a hawksbill sea turtle.

We were picked up at the agreed to time and then taken to Jalousie (Sugar Beach). The resort here was quite pricey, but there are free beach chairs here. There was also good snorkeling here. This site was more "fishy" while the other had great corals. The area at Sugar Beach was more protected and the water quite calm, while our first stop there was a little more current and fins came in handy here. I can't comment on the gear provided because everyone had their own snorkel gear.

• 1 month later...

It wasn't necessary, but we have our own. Get the fins when they are passed out, they came in handy in Anse Chastanet as there was some current here the fins made it easier to get around.