Princess pulled the bait and switch on our beverage package. Do I have any recourse?

TheTonkster

Attack or not, the failure of the OP to clarify when repeatedly asked whether all eight members of the party actually had the PBP speaks for itself. Yes I know they were all booked under Sip +Sail but if any were 3rd and 4th persons in the cabin they only received the Soda & More, not the PBP. The fact that Soda & More does not include bottled water, and that bottled water appears to be the only order refused, again allows a simple conclusion to be drawn.

I didn't think my asking for answers to two questions constituted an inquisition.

I count far more than two questions in your post. Along with several accusatory declarative sentences.

I have never heard of any 15 minute delay on Princess.

In the original post, the poster said that all drinks were counting against the package.

It might have been this bit of confusion that caused folks to think they reached their

limit, without actually doing so.

Then several posters accused him of cheating by sharing the package.

Baseless.

Wow, there is a lot of vitriol here. Out of eight people, six adults had the all you can drink package. The two children had the all you can drink soft drink package, although they always stick to juice and water. I came to ask a simple question. We also don't "share" drinks. We were not trying to cheat the system. We bought what we thought was all inclusive 14 months before sailing, once we were on board, it wasn't the case. We didn't have a "cow" about it. We still had a great cruise, but there was definitely confusion when I asked what specific drinks were included in the 15 drink max and what wasn't. I should have read the fine print lesson learned. Yes, our family likes to drink. I really wasn't looking for any judgements about our lifestyle. There were some people on this thread that really did post some helpful info. There were also plenty that did not. I don't post a lot because I feel the search function more than answers most of my questions. I'm not sure I will be posting again because I feel this group can really jump on the bullying bandwagon.

Wow, there is a lot of vitriol here. Out of eight people, six adults had the all you can drink package. The two children had the all you can drink soft drink package, although they always stick to juice and water. I came to ask a simple question. We also don't "share" drinks. We were not trying to cheat the system. We bought what we thought was all inclusive 14 months before sailing, once we were on board, it wasn't the case. We didn't have a "cow" about it. We still had a great cruise, but there was definitely confusion when I asked what specific drinks were included in the 15 drink max and what wasn't. I should have read the fine print lesson learned. Yes, our family likes to drink. I really wasn't looking for any judgements about our lifestyle. There were some people on this thread that really did post some helpful info. There were also plenty that did not. I don't post a lot because I feel the search function more than answers most of my questions. I'm not sure I will be posting again because I feel this group can really jump on the bullying bandwagon.

Perhaps I'm one of the few here that believed your experience from your first post.

I've traveled Princess enough to know that there are times when the sign should read:

Guest DISservice Desk

I've personally heard plenty of incorrect information, casting blame elsewhere, and lack of resourcefulness. Yes, I do understand it's a stressful position as a nerve center where over 2,000 people on average focus when they need many things. But not providing accurate information and/or communicating it ineffectively is a shame.

TheTonkster, I personally hate it when I read in these threads: "Well you shoulda done that, or you're wrong to ...whatever."

But here's one observation: you joined Cruise Critic over a year before you booked your cruise, yet you have only have 14 posts.

These forums can sometimes provide invaluable information that can translate to saving money, time and possibly aggravation.

You mention that you search for information rather than posting questions --to which I applause you, since I'm nauseated by the new threads that start "Hi All! I need your help with questions I have about my upcoming cruise..." either like they feel their situation and life is so unique that this question has never been asked and answered prior -OR- they are too lazy to read and search, expecting to be spoon-fed answers.

While I have searched, I've found it more effective to spend occasional time perhaps weekly, leading up to a cruise to review threads for my cruise line.

Doing so, I can tell you I became familiar with the change in terms and policy for the beverage package. There were plenty of threads and upset posters who were countered by posts about the fine print and its legality.

I never have purchased a beverage package, yet it was hard not to know about the changes by simply reviewing the Princess threads at Cruise Critic.

I can certainly understand how the miscommunications may cause you to look elsewhere beyond Princess.

Know that whatever line you try it will have its own quirks and headaches, and for sure Cruise Critic will have plenty of posters cranky and complaining about the situation!

When they switched the AIBP to PBP I was contacted by my Princess Vacation Planner who explained the changes that were happening. I would hope that other planners and TA's would have done the same - Did I like the changes no (especially the change from 40% off bottles of wine to 25% and the exclusion of large waters and canned sodas) but at least they told me.

I came to ask a simple question.

That question being Do I have any recourse?

Asking for compensation when you received precisely what Princess was obligated under the terms of your booking to deliver is going to be responded to with mostly derision and vitriol. Just a fact of life on these boards. And most of the real world.

We bought what we thought was all inclusive 14 months before sailing, once we were on board, it wasn't the case.

You did not "buy" any sort of all-inclusive feature. You booked the cruise during a promotion with included what Princess titled an "All Inclusive Beverage Package". Any astute consumer knows not to take the "name" of a marketing feature at face value. Plus even if there was absolutely no change to the beverage package between then and now, the former "All Inclusive" still incorporated limitations and exclusions such as the then-$10/drink max price. So if you do buy the arguments made above that you have grounds for dispute, said grounds were theoretically stronger before Princess removed "All Inclusive" from the name of the package and changed the terms under the rights to do so that you granted them at the time of booking.

There were some people on this thread that really did post some helpful info. There were also plenty that did not.

...but don't buy those arguments for one second. Unless you can find an attorney who can cite appellate case law supporting the bizarre claim above that the merchant's agreement with the credit card companies overrules any contract executed with their clients you will only be frustrating yourself no end by disputing any charges with Princess. Those that are encouraging you to do so are seizing upon your use of the inflammatory term "bait and switch" and baiting you to see how strongly you carry a grudge against Princess despite otherwise enjoying your cruise. They want you to obsess no end on this one bad thing at the expense of the 99.9% good things you experienced. And I am sorry you view the rest of us as unhelpful "Princess cheerleader" bullies simply for encouraging you to just let it go and offering the fine print of the (admittedly one-sided) terms and conditions as justification. Hope you enjoy your next cruise, whomever it is with.

Wow, there is a lot of vitriol here. There were some people on this thread that really did post some helpful info. There were also plenty that did not.

TheTonkster: Please don't look at my posts to you as being accusatory or being negative. Your original post was a little confusing about what transpired and I was asking for some information to help clear up any misunderstanding , if there was one. One poster in particular decided to put a negative spin on my posts to you but the posts I made to you were done with the spirit that these boards should have - Helping others. Some of my questions were rhetorical, meant to help you evaluate what went on and I only asked for two questions to actually be answered by you. I'm sorry that this thread didn't help anyone understand what took place on your cruise. You are right about the bullies who only want to pick apart what others write without offering positive suggestions.

One last thing before I go: I see where some have suggested using Credit Card chargeback as an option for you. Before calling your credit card company, you should carefully check out what may happen if your bank refunds your passage. You agreed to the terms of your passage and Princess may have other venues to collect the debt from you which may not be as convenient to pay as your credit card was. I don't know how it will work out for you but good luck and give Princess another try. It sounds like you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

Edited by Daniel A
TYPO

Come on no, the 15 drink package per person is plenty of booze, coffee, water for the day. We had it and I think on the best day we each had 8 drinks total (water, coffee, wine, booze). You dont want to get stupid drunk and not enjoy the cruise. If you do, save your money and go to a bar and have a blast, it will be cheaper even with a cab ride to boot.

Yikes! I'm just reading the comments and warnings in response to the credit card charge back strategy. While you may be sucessful with this IF you word your claim correctly AND still have the debt obligation with the card issuer, but you may end of burning a bridge with Carnival Corporation and all of its brands. They'll get stiffed by the credit card issuer but your obligation to the line is not canceled. It's very easy for them to ban you and your party members from EVER cruising on ANY of their brands.

I also read Expat Cruise's experience where his charge back was answered with a personal call and an adequate resolution. If the charge back amounts to the full fare for a party of 10, I'd bet you'd get a call to Germany.

I'm pretty sure I heard the story on Cruise Critic about someone banned from travel over charge backs related to art purchases on board.

Come on no, the 15 drink package per person is plenty of booze, coffee, water for the day. We had it and I think on the best day we each had 8 drinks total (water, coffee, wine, booze). You dont want to get stupid drunk and not enjoy the cruise. If you do, save your money and go to a bar and have a blast, it will be cheaper even with a cab ride to boot.

sppkyfudge:

Please understand I am not "attacking" you and don't take your comment as an "attack" on me. I am merely commenting on your post. (I have learned that sometimes one must clarify this sort of thing so as not to appear offensive.) :)

As I said above I actually did hit the limit on a cruise. I was not "stupid drunk" and did enjoy my cruise. Trust me, if I had gotten drunk I would have heard about it from my wife. She would not have been pleased. (Water, sodas, coffees, etc. do not count against the 15 drink per day limit. That is strictly alcoholic drinks and is measured from 6 AM to 6 AM.

People process alcohol differently. If my wife had gotten 8 drinks she would have been blotto. I don't process alcohol in the same way as many others. For that matter I don't process opioids in the same way as most. The darn stuff doesn't seem to work very well for me. I couldn't be a junkie on Vicodin for instance as one barely touches me and two make me itch. Half of the ones I have (10 mg Norco) would make my wife go to bed. Heck, half of a 5 mg does that to her. To me it's barely enough to take the edge off of my back pain.

No, this isn't because I have become "habituated". It's been that way from day one. I have always been somewhat "immune" to things of that nature. Likewise, I don't readily process alcohol and, unfortunately, can drink more than most. I would much prefer to be a "lightweight" or at least a "lighter weight". Please don't assume that everybody is the same. It makes for unfortunate comparisons in many instances.

Note: I do agree that 15 drinks is a lot and more than most folks should ever have. In the vast majority of cases it would have extremely unfortunate consequences. In my wife's case it would probably put her into a coma. Many other people would simply become extremely obnoxious drunks of the kind you find fighting or puking in the elevator on that "party" cruise line. The night on the 28 day cruise (on one of the 18 sea days) the bartender in Skywalker's said I had reached the limit but, as he was aware that I had taken one to my wife, offered to simply put it on her card. I told him that it seemed plenty to me and asked for a San Pellegrino instead. The bartender had no concerns about my state of being at all. I just thought that I would rather be done drinking and switched to water. It's always best to hydrate before bed - especially after drinking alcohol.

Oh, it may surprise you to know that we almost never go out to a bar of any kind. We do go to the Sierra Nevada tap room for pizza and beer maybe 6 times a year and also to the Sierra Nevada Big Room for concerts 2 or sometimes 3 times a year.. During those concerts we may have 2 beers each. Otherwise we don't frequent bars. Too expensive and not really our "scene". We are more "stay at home and watch a movie" types. :D

Edited by Thrak

Come on no[w], the 15 drink package per person is plenty of booze, coffee, water for the day. We had it and I think on the best day we each had 8 drinks total (water, coffee, wine, booze). You dont want to get stupid drunk and not enjoy the cruise. If you do, save your money and go to a bar and have a blast, it will be cheaper even with a cab ride to boot.

Be careful with your wording. What you said is easily taken to mean the per day limit for ALL drinks is limited to 15 total. While this may not be what you meant, statements like this continue to keep people incorrectly thinking the limit is for all drinks when the limit is only for alcoholic drinks.

The original poster booked very, very early, while the old rules were in effect.

People who booked later booked under the new rules, so were not suprised by any rule change.

So, I don't find it suprising that not everyone on the same cruise complained.

But the problem is not that the OP and family reached the 15 alcohol drink limit a day. The problem is that the ship incorrectly thought the 15 drink limit also included non-alcohol drinks. I think if the ship had properly only placed a limit on the alcohol drinks, the OP would have had no problem with the switch in package.

But the problem is not that the OP and family reached the 15 alcohol drink limit a day. The problem is that the ship incorrectly thought the 15 drink limit also included non-alcohol drinks. I think if the ship had properly only placed a limit on the alcohol drinks, the OP would have had no problem with the switch in package.

But many seem to be missing the point here. Doesn't matter if it is 15 drinks total, 15 alcohol alcohol drinks, or to many drinks, to little dinks, etc. The OP purchased a package that did not have a limit, Princess Cruise Lines changed it after the purchase from a unlimited package. This is deceptive advertising and or bait and switch which is not allowed under the rules from the credit card processing services.

And since the order is credit card processing rules first, cruise contract second, the cruise line is not allowed to do this. Not debating if 15 drinks is to many or not enough, just what Princess did.

But many seem to be missing the point here. Doesn't matter if it is 15 drinks total, 15 alcohol alcohol drinks, or to many drinks, to little dinks, etc. The OP purchased a package that did not have a limit, Princess Cruise Lines changed it after the purchase from a unlimited package. This is deceptive advertising and or bait and switch which is not allowed under the rules from the credit card processing services.

And since the order is credit card processing rules first, cruise contract second, the cruise line is not allowed to do this. Not debating if 15 drinks is to many or not enough, just what Princess did.

Completely agree, it's basic miselling

I think the OP received the package for free...it was included in the deal. The fine print allows Princess to change any of their inclusions later and there is no repercussion. That is the real issue. Why would one think otherwise? Was it a good tactic on Princess' part? I would say not. But it was within their right and part of the original deal. Other than that, the problem seems to have stemmed from the Princess Employee not clearly stating the "rules" of the new beverage package...either due to their ignorance or because they thought the "alcohol" limit was inferred. For that, I can see where the OP had a complaint that should have been addressed immediately with another representative. Recourse at this point is likely a useless endeavor. However, writing to Princess or calling and speaking to Customer Service may result in an open hand to mend the fence. That would be my recommendation...no way would I try to get a refund via my credit card company!

I would have thought that regardless of what the representative told the OP, that the 15 alcoholic drink limit would have been regulated by the computer system, just like it is for every person holding the drink package, whether purchased or included as a booking perk.

It seems unlikely that a glitch occurred that only effected the OP and his traveling companions, and nobody else. If others had been effected, surely one of them would have been aware of the actual limits of the package and would have complained until it was fixed.

I think the OP received the package for free...it was included in the deal. The fine print allows Princess to change any of their inclusions later and there is no repercussion. That is the real issue. Why would one think otherwise? Was it a good tactic on Princess' part? I would say not. But it was within their right and part of the original deal. Other than that, the problem seems to have stemmed from the Princess Employee not clearly stating the "rules" of the new beverage package...either due to their ignorance or because they thought the "alcohol" limit was inferred. For that, I can see where the OP had a complaint that should have been addressed immediately with another representative. Recourse at this point is likely a useless endeavor. However, writing to Princess or calling and speaking to Customer Service may result in an open hand to mend the fence. That would be my recommendation...no way would I try to get a refund via my credit card company!

The OP did not receive the drink package for free, it was PART of their cruise fare, and princess changed the terms after they accepted the OP's money. Which is all that's needed for a legitimate credit card chargeback.

Let's put this in different terms. You book a cruise and you're supposed to have unlimited food. But the cruise line changes their rules and suddenly says, you can ONLY have 2 meals a day, tracked by your card, included in your fare. All other food will be charged a la carte. You find this out after you've already gotten on the ship.

Now under those circumstances, would the pax be justified in "whining" (as other posters have stated) and doing a chargeback?

The OP did not receive the drink package for free, it was PART of their cruise fare, and princess changed the terms after they accepted the OP's money. Which is all that's needed for a legitimate credit card chargeback.

From a cruise confirmation booked as part of the Sip and Sail promotion:

"SIP & SAIL promotion comes with a choice of a free all-inclusive beverage package..."

From the Terms and Conditions of the All Inclusive Beverage Package:

"Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."

In any case, I think we're all arguing the wrong point here. The point is the OP was told (and assumedly was enforced) a 15 drink limit per day - both alcoholic and non-alcoholic alike - which is against the actual policy. They mentioned that none of their party ordered 15 alcoholic drinks a day, it would be interesting to know which ship and sailing this occurred on.

From a cruise confirmation booked as part of the Sip and Sail promotion:

"SIP & SAIL promotion comes with a choice of a free all-inclusive beverage package..."

From the Terms and Conditions of the All Inclusive Beverage Package:

"Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."

Arguing semantics does not make it "free". Or I could walk into any store during a b1g1 free promotion and just get the "free" product.

The OP (and anyone else who booked under this promotion) did NOT receive what was paid for under the original agreement.

I do love how you decided to clip my post, to make it seem less reasonable.

You have your opinion and it's not valid under credit card rules. Keep copying and pasting, that'll make you right.

the OP could have cancelled , by doing nothing, the OP accepted the new terms...and if had already paid, got the PBP at the old AIPB pricing

I had a AIPB in my cart, not paid...had to pay the new price and terms for the PBP

bummer, huh?:rolleyes:

Arguing semantics does not make it "free". Or I could walk into any store during a b1g1 free promotion and just get the "free" product.

The OP (and anyone else who booked under this promotion) did NOT receive what was paid for under the original agreement.

I do love how you decided to clip my post, to make it seem less reasonable.

You have your opinion and it's not valid under credit card rules. Keep copying and pasting, that'll make you right.

I copied this entire post, does that make you feel better?

They DID receive what they paid for under the original agreement which states: "Terms and conditions of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package are subject to change."

Keep spouting nonsense, that'll make you right.

Both my 28 day cruise last October and the 14 day cruise last March were originally the AIBP. Both were changed to the PBP. Not an issue for us. Yes, we felt it was unfair to change what was promised. It really didn't affect us negatively at all.