Should i change my state room?

octoberdana

Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R618. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

Unfortunately, there are only a handful of cabins left in our class: most all in the Rivera deck in the aft (should have same noise problem). R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707.

Two rooms on Aloha Deck: A 202, A 201

One room on Baja Deck: B201

One room on Caribe Deck: C108

Not sure we will be as happy in the very front of the ship, as I have motion sickness issues.

Any advice?

Edited by octoberdana

Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R818. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

Unfortunately, there are only a handful of cabins left in our class: most all in the Rivera deck in the aft (should have same noise problem). R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707.

Not sure we will be as happy in the very front of the ship, as I have motion sickness issues.

Any advice?

Keep you cabin on Riviera.

Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R818. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

Any advice?

I'm guessing you meant R618? If so that looks like the best choice of whats available. We prefer Baja deck but not that cabin choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seems to me your choices are to:

1. Take your chances under the buffet, which will likely produce noise late at night and early in the morning or;

2. Move to the front of the ship. In which case you might as well get the Caribe balcony with the bigger outdoor area.

As I said on your other thread, we have sailed in Caribe balconies toward the front several times and have no problem with them. That's what we would do, take the one remaining Caribe balcony. This morning there were three, now there is one. Obviously someone else is willing to sail up front.

Do you have a reason to believe you will have seasickness issues up there, or do you just assume so? I've met a lot of people, including my wife, who think they will suffer seasickness and mostly they don't.

Jim

If you don't get sea sick midship it is highly unlikely moving to the front will be noticeable. I would do Carib also because we spend a lot of time on our balcony and that double one is awesome. Also no noise because passengers above and below.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I say stay in the 700's on Riviera. We have many times and the HC above is carpeted in that area by Cafe Caribe.

We have not had any noise issues back there. The further back the better.

The C108 would be good because of the great balcony.

Hubby and I are booked on the Emerald Princess in October to the Mexican Rivera. We prefer balconies in mid ship... talked to Princess TA and she convinced us to book room R618. she said it was only one away from being mid-ship but the price point was more affordable. I've since learned that this room is right under the Horizon food court and I'm really concerned about the noise- hubby is very sensitive to noise.

R618 is in the Aft, one cabin away from the Mid-Aft, not Midship.

If you want to switch cabins, I suggest any of the cabins R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707. It is under Cafe Caribe that is frequented by less passengers.than Horizon Court.

R618 is in the Aft, one cabin away from the Mid-Aft, not Midship.

If you want to switch cabins, I suggest any of the cabins R743, 739, 735, 731, 727, 723, and 707. It is under Cafe Caribe that is frequented by less passengers.than Horizon Court.

I completely agree. We have stayed in this area (R618) and had no noise issues. Our favorites cabins are the aft R700's on Grand Class ships... You can go straight out the back door to the adults only pool & up one floor to the bar or take a quick flight up the stairs to the buffet for coffee & snacks. So convenient!

There will likely be cancellations around the final payment date. I would recommend checking cabin availability a few days prior to a day or two after the final payment due date. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I completely agree. We have stayed in this area (R618) and had no noise issues. Our favorites cabins are the aft R700's on Grand Class ships... You can go straight out the back door to the adults only pool & up one floor to the bar or take a quick flight up the stairs to the buffet for coffee & snacks. So convenient!

Yeah! I love those R700 cabins too. For the conveniences mentioned above, as well as that it tends to be a quiet area with limited foot traffic in the corridor.

If you don't get sea sick midship it is highly unlikely moving to the front will be noticeable. I would do Carib also because we spend a lot of time on our balcony and that double one is awesome. Also no noise because passengers above and below.

From personal experience I wouldn't agree with this. I was at the front of the ship B102 crossing the Gulf of Alaska and suffered horrendous sea sickness in rough seas - was an amazing balcony view for the inside passage though which was fortunately smooth sailing. However since this time I have generally booked mid or mid aft cabins - last time in February and crossing the Tasman Sea to Sydney we had gale force winds. From the balcony you could see the considerable movement up and down at the front and back of the ship but I felt nothing in the mid ship cabin [Dolphin Deck] and was not effected with motion sickness at all. I would never now travel at the front of the ship.

There will likely be cancellations around the final payment date. I would recommend checking cabin availability a few days prior to a day or two after the final payment due date. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Good advice Lew!! I agree with you.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Are the balconies on Rivera and Baja deck covered?

Yes. The only uncovered balconies on the ship are the Dolphin deck mini-suites. The Caribe balconies are roughly half covered. Everything else, to my knowledge, is covered.

Jim

I would either stay where you are or else snag the Caribe cabin for the extra large balcony. For what it's worth I get carsick on winding roads if I try to read or do anything other than pay attention to the road. I get horrendously seasick even on just a tender.

I go to my doctor and get the patch. TransdermScop. I have been through weather where many of the "iron stomach" crowd retired to their cabins to lie down. I ate steak and lobster instead. I have never gotten even the slightest twinge of seasickness no matter what the weather when wearing that little round patch behind my ear.

We were on R615 on both Ruby and Crown, for our next Princess cruise in November, R615 was open so we snagged it right way.

Anything mid aft is just steps away from the terrace pool and the Horizon, also the elevators will take you straight to Michelangelo or DaVinci dining rooms.

We also never heard a peep from above, and the balcony is fully covered.

I would either stay where you are or else snag the Caribe cabin for the extra large balcony. For what it's worth I get carsick on winding roads if I try to read or do anything other than pay attention to the road. I get horrendously seasick even on just a tender.

I go to my doctor and get the patch. TransdermScop. I have been through weather where many of the "iron stomach" crowd retired to their cabins to lie down. I ate steak and lobster instead. I have never gotten even the slightest twinge of seasickness no matter what the weather when wearing that little round patch behind my ear.

Caribe deck not available now. 2 on Baja 201, 218. And 2 on Riveria R726, 742. And I believe front cabin on aloha.

We had R616,618, and 620 on the Caribbean Princess (sister ship). I would NEVER take these rooms again. You are right across from the dish washing station which goes all night long.

Also there is a tile floor directly above these rooms and all night long there are carts banging across them.

Even after complaints it continued.

We've had rooms all around and under the Horizon Court with no problems except these.

I checked the deck plans, just to be sure, and they are in the same location on the Emerald.

I'd go for R 727 or R 731.