Laundry/dry cleaning on QM2

abefroman329

Hi all -

My wife and I are planning on taking our first trip on the QM2, the eastbound TA departing NYC on September 7. It'll be my wife's first cruise (and my first time on a cruise that doesn't offer a belly flop competition). Does anyone have info on current rates for dry cleaning (specifically, a men's two-piece suit or a men's dress shirt), as well as how long it takes to have an item dry cleaned? I think I saw $6-7 to have a shirt laundered and pressed, but saw no info other than that in the forums.

Thanks in advance!

I did a search on the forums & the web and this thread contains the most recent updates

There were some threads noting that the 'environmentally sensitive' wet cleaning process left much to be desired for some garments.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

At those rates I'll probably do like I planned and bring a Dryel kit on board with me.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

At those rates I'll probably do like I planned and bring a Dryel kit on board with me.

Here is the list of laundering prices on board right now. (And by the way, it's been a shaky day today!)

0a86ce5b2006e06025b5444d2edafec8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I did a search on the forums & the web and this thread contains the most recent updates

There were some threads noting that the 'environmentally sensitive' wet cleaning process left much to be desired for some garments.

Good point, OldBear. Personally, I would no longer have any of my gowns or fine garments cleaned on board. In the past, QM2 did a wonderful job at reasonable prices, but, sadly, that is history.:loudcry:

• 2 weeks later...
Here is the list of laundering prices on board right now. (And by the way, it's been a shaky day today!)

0a86ce5b2006e06025b5444d2edafec8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thank you, so much, for posting list. 50% is not bad at all for same day,

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone had an experience with NOT receiving their dry cleaning by the specified time? I have a plan for dinner attire that allows me to get away with bringing only 2 suits and 3 dress shirts and doesn't require I pay a rush fee for same-day cleaning, but does assume that everything is back to me by 7 pm as advertised.

• 4 weeks later...
Is that the do-it-yourself in the dryer kit? I don't think they're permitted in the launderettes.

What is a Dryer Kit? Sounds like a D.I.Y. Kit?

You could always use the launderette for the shirts. Soap powder provided free.;p

P.s We are on the same voyage.

Has anyone had an experience with NOT receiving their dry cleaning by the specified time? I have a plan for dinner attire that allows me to get away with bringing only 2 suits and 3 dress shirts and doesn't require I pay a rush fee for same-day cleaning, but does assume that everything is back to me by 7 pm as advertised.

On about 7 uses on 4 voyages, (more laundry than "dry cleaning") we've always received our items in time, more often than not within 1 day for a 2 day order. (aside from the occasional same day pressing for the first formal night, most of our orders are standard 2 day laundry.) No complaints.

Hello everyone! I know this thread is specifically about QM2 laundry/cleaning, but this pertains to QV. We've utilized the launderette before, which was wonderful, but I saw on the Cunard website that soap tablets can be purchased. Per the Voyage Personalizer:

"Top Tip

• Each ship has a number of complimentary washing machines, dryers and irons at your disposal. Washing tablets can be purchased on board."

Is washing machine soap no longer gratis, if using the launderette?

What is a Dryer Kit? Sounds like a D.I.Y. Kit?

You could always use the launderette for the shirts. Soap powder provided free.;p

P.s We are on the same voyage.

Dryel is an at-home alternative to dry cleaning. I've never used it, but I know you put the clothes in the dryer with whatever the Dryel thing is and the clothes come out clean. Has to be some kind of chemical thing, and I doubt Cunard would allow that in their dryers.

My husband's suit needed cleaning, and I didn't want to test out the ship's alternative to traditional dry cleaning. Since we had 8 days between our EB and WB crossing, I took the suit to ASDA's cleaner before we left Southampton and retrieved it when we returned. 13 pounds--ouch!! But they did a very good job.

Hello everyone! I know this thread is specifically about QM2 laundry/cleaning, but this pertains to QV. We've utilized the launderette before, which was wonderful, but I saw on the Cunard website that soap tablets can be purchased. Per the Voyage Personalizer:

"Top Tip

• Each ship has a number of complimentary washing machines, dryers and irons at your disposal. Washing tablets can be purchased on board."

Is washing machine soap no longer gratis, if using the launderette?

This seems odd. Last month, QM2 still had the little packets of soap in their launderettes.

Dryel is an at-home alternative to dry cleaning. I've never used it, but I know you put the clothes in the dryer with whatever the Dryel thing is and the clothes come out clean.

Yes, it's a chemical-soaked cloth and a special bag, and you put the clothing to be dry cleaned and the cloth in the bag and run the bag in the dryer on low heat for a certain period of time. It cleans your clothes, but of course they still have to be pressed afterwards.

I hadn't considered the possibility that they would not allow use of it on board, but I'd already resigned myself to sending my suits out to be dry cleaned.

Yes, it's a chemical-soaked cloth and a special bag, and you put the clothing to be dry cleaned and the cloth in the bag and run the bag in the dryer on low heat for a certain period of time. It cleans your clothes, but of course they still have to be pressed afterwards.

I hadn't considered the possibility that they would not allow use of it on board, but I'd already resigned myself to sending my suits out to be dry cleaned.

If you need low heat, I would recommend against it. I think the dryers run pretty hot, even on a low setting. The drum is small, at least compared to my dryer at home, and they tend to use more heat and less force of air, the opposite of how my dryer at home gets it done.