Crown Princess ABC islands Jan 12 to 20, 2018

Bimmer09

I've thought about going to one of the culinary shows before but haven't assuming it would be much like those pots and pans shows and rodeos and state fairs where they're just trying to sell you something....thanks for sharing the videos!

They don't try to sell you anything.

Give a small pamphlet with recipes, make you really hungry and take you on a brief tour of the kitchen.

Give a small pamphlet with recipes, make you really hungry and take you on a brief tour of the kitchen.

They do sell a Princess recipe book,but it's not a hard sell.

I've thought about going to one of the culinary shows before but haven't assuming it would be much like those pots and pans shows and rodeos and state fairs where they're just trying to sell you something....thanks for sharing the videos!

Crystal-glad you found the videos interesting and hopefully entertaining. They are usually more comedic and light-hearted than they are about cooking which is fine. Princess has a sense of humor and Neville is a good example-maybe the best-of not taking things too seriously even though he and the Exec Chef have serious jobs. I think it is fitting for the last day of the cruise.

Anyone can skip over them if they find them not to their taste/too frivolous.

I have only ever taken the following galley tour afterwards once as I have seen it in more detail during the Ultimate Ship Tour but that costs $150 (and covers a lot more ship).

Norris

CULINARY SHOW-CONCLUSION

The Head Pastry Chef joins in to challenge Dumb and Dumber (as Neville described the duo to me) to a frosting a Black Forest gateau showdown.

25824281997_51f554d658_b.jpg

Neville dons some hazardous materials gloves

40695330271_a39d3cac26_b.jpg

40695332471_7779228cf1_b.jpg

The final video....

upCKUzJcjuk

Still to come.... Pub Lunch, Voice of the Ocean finals, Princess Pop Choir and the Crown Grill

As you can see from the Patter there is a lot going on around the ship to entertain us on this last full day on the ship. We are not partaking of the galley tour after the Culinary show. Carol is bound for the Sanctuary with her Kindle while I make my way up to Tradewinds.

25857389977_d71b5c299c_b.jpg

John, from Philippines, only needed a raised eyebrow (if I had the strength) to pour me a cold one.

38918335720_e1cb5b82c5_b.jpg

My schedule today will definitely include the 2nd Pub Lunch of the week. After that there is Voice of the Ocean finale at 2.30 followed by the Pop Choir singing in the Piazza followed by packing followed by a nap hopefully and rounding the night off with a leisurely dinner in the Crown Grill. I'll pop up to the Sanctuary every now and then to check on Carol.

There is Bingo! in Club Fusion at 11.15

40685619712_dc623a6eb1_b.jpg

and people shopping the Photo Gallery. We have spent about $100 there this trip.

40728576641_220fa73500_b.jpg

Norris, We just returned from the Regal. Inspired by you I am thinking of doing a diary of the cruise. Although to be honest I don't have expectations of reaching your level. Your way with words and pictures is an example to all who use Cruise Critic on how it should be done! My style will no doubt be different and I am challenged when it comes to adding photos to anything. I have no idea how to do it on Cruise Critic. Happy cruising!

My DH and I are going to the ABC islands in May on the Caribbean Princess. I’m looking forward to getting some hints and ideas from you. This is my first review from you and I have a feeling it will be fun! Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going on the Caribbean Princess in May for the ABC cruise with 6 of my family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2:30 seems early for the Voice finale, whenever I’ve sailed it’s always presented in the evening.Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi CineGraphic. The Princess Theater was in use that night from 7 pm on for a show featuring A J Clarke (from Crooners) backed by the ship's stellar band and I think they also had some rehearsal time. It was good for us to have an afternoon show as we had to fit in the Crown Grill at 8 and that's usually a slow meal. We had a fairly busy afternoon.

Thanks for the comment!

Norris

Norris, We just returned from the Regal. Inspired by you I am thinking of doing a diary of the cruise. Although to be honest I don't have expectations of reaching your level. Your way with words and pictures is an example to all who use Cruise Critic on how it should be done! My style will no doubt be different and I am challenged when it comes to adding photos to anything. I have no idea how to do it on Cruise Critic. Happy cruising!

Hello again and thanks for the kind compliments on the review/GSJ/report/ramble.

Adding photos is easy -certainly if you use Flickr-and I could guide you through that and only that. CC also helps by providing a TEST FORUM which is where I learned by trial and error.

My photos are dumbed down on Flickr as they are compressed into JPEGS when I upload from Lightroom where I see them in glorious RAW but the RAW files are huge (30 MB) so I understand Flickr making them smaller and less of a space hog.

You should write a photo diary of your cruises-no forgetting them that way or mixing them up.

Every trip we do on land or on sea for the past 25 years has photos and videos. Most restaurant meals too. Hot air balloon rides, bi-planes, helicopter trips, ferry boats etc etc.

There's a benefit in being able to share your experiences too as I am doing. Some folks find them helpful in planning a cruise or land trip-good hotels to stay at, restaurants to dine in, interesting places to see.

Just do your own style-that's what I am doing, without thinking or trying to please anyone in particular. I don't do a lot of people photos as I am usually alone with the camera and not part of a family or group of friends. I don't photograph cocktails as I don't drink them. This is the first time I have ever posted the Princess patters but I did so (and will do in the distant future) as it is the last Princess review I will write for a couple of years and I know people going on the Crown to the ABCs will appreciate them even though I seldom look at them on the ship. Carol is there to guide me to what I need to see re entertainment. There are lots of photo cruise reviewers I like to read and they all have different styles. Some of them have contributed comments in this one (MrMet, Deladane and Singingalot to name a few)

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos!

Cheers!

Norris

Carol was eschewing the Pub Lunch in favor of having Afternoon tea served at her lounger in the Sanctuary. I wouldn't be eschewing it but rather chewing it. I went to the Wheelhouse Bar/Salty Dog alone and sat at the bar. The Union Jacked was draped over one part of the bar to add Britishness to the event but, unlike on the Ocean Princess, Beatles music was not played from the ceiling speakers. Now that was a real treat. By the way, since last May Sirius XM radio now has a Beatles channel-together as a band and all the solo recordings. My first visit to London was in 1965 and I saw the movie "Help!" 6 times in 3 days in the theater the premiere was held in a week or so before.

40728659561_8cfd747a9e_b.jpg

Service at the bar was neck-snappingly fast. " I need an emergency Guinn.." and there it was.

39833600605_0a1dc5ce9f_b.jpg

I didn't order a steak and kidney pie (not on the menu), nor the mild chicken curry but instead the fish and chips with mushy peas.

40018436234_45b0819d6d_b.jpg

Walking past the Piazza after this brief delicious lunchy pitstop, passing the tables with cheap tee shirts and the rummagers they attracted I was stopped in my tracks by some familiar music-from a favorite short opera called Cavalleria Rusticana (Rustic Chivalry). It's a piece called Intermezzo if you want to hear the whole thing-search on Youtube to hear a full orchestra.

Here it is two women and some backing tracks-the Elegance Duo.

PXaI6ieJOtg

But Norris- I don't have time to search Youtube!

Hmmm-well OK, I have done it for you. Enjoy the visuals of one of the most eye candy countries there is (and hopefully the music!)

BIQ2D6AIys8

Norris

Ah, Norris. At work now, listening, seeing your visuals, crying. The music is always perfect, and those cyprus trees are so Italy. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

It was a quick break for me, both calming and uplifting.

(My first visit to London was in 1965 and I saw the movie "Help!" 6 times in 3 days in the theater the premiere was held in a week or so before.)

Well I think that may beat my husband John 14 times in 14 days but I am am backing your twice a day as you doubled up!

Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana always stops whatever I am doing and compels me to listen. Enjoyed this stop too.

Still enjoying your winter sun trip.

Sandra

Well Mr. Norris; I posted on your Regal thread that I have taken a break for a bit; but now I am back and I have read all 34 pages of your ABC cruise yesterday and today. Your photos as always are amazing. Your sunrises and sunsets; oh my; perfection. What a wonderful break from your cold Chicago. What a fun way I to spend my weekend Norris: I have really enjoyed catching up! Thank you for all of your time and effort in making us a part of cruising!

:(They sure are !!

Norris, thank you for this great review. You really make us feel as if we were all on the cruise with you, and that is a lot of fun. - EBC

Thank you for saying this.

I can see from the reads numbers next to the review that a lot of people read these things I write but I don't know who they are until they comment. It's icing on the already rich cake that my life is.

I do have fun on our cruises but it's inward fun and contentment. I am not loud or a party animal-no bro' hugs and high 5s and yelling yippee!! I am sure some passengers have wanted to call the Medical dept to have someone check my pulse-cruising is my ZEN. I will talk to anyone who sits down beside me to share an ashtray but am happy sitting alone or wandering with a camera.

I have a fast pace , physically demanding job (keeps me fit) and just like to relax and go with the flow on a ship. If I miss a lot of good stuff going on in the Patter....ah well. I know there will be more Princess cruises to enjoy-just not for a couple of years. We have other cruises booked.

Thanks again, for making my day.

Norris

It's that smell of garlic, onions and pancetta frying in a pan 100 feet away....gets me every time!

Thanks for the comment JF, so glad to see you still reading along as this winds down.

Norris

So glad I found this review! A little late to the party and have some catch up reading to do.

I have read many if your reviews and I'm sure this one will live up to previous ones!

Hope you enjoyed the ABC's as much as we did. DH and I just got off NCL Jade February 26 where we visited the ABC's for the first time. We loved the islands. It was one of best cruises we have been on. Can't wait to visit them again.

Norris,

My friends and I sail on Caribbean Princess this Sunday, 3/18. Your marvelous review and beautiful pictures have whet my appetite again for a wonderful adventure. Of course, watching two hours of the "Love Boat" yesterday afternoon certainly helped!

Thanks for taking the time...

Susan

Norris, it is you who made our day. I’m a long time reader, and this thank you is long overdo.

You have a gift for seeing details. Great job!

Thanks Judie for being a long time reader and for the compliments!

It takes me a long time to write these things as I work, life a life and don't have enough time on my hands to get them done quicker. I wrote the epic Celebrity Silhouette one when I was between jobs.

There is also a lot of waiting around for iMovie to load my videos and then share them to Youtube. I am stalled this morning uploading the entire Voice of the Ocean show, the Pop Choir and P.Everglades harbor at 6 a.m. iMovie often has me banging my head on the desk.

First World problems!

Tomorrow I am off work and hopefully can show you all the video mentioned above.

Cheers!

Norris

Thank you Norris for another amazing review. I have been reading along from close to the start and thought I

better let you know how entertained I have been, and that I have been lurking!

I have been going between this review and your 2015 Rome to

Barcelona review which reminded me that during that review I had told you, that you made me put it on our

bucket list. This October that one will be splashing out of the bucket onto the promenade deck.

We are going on the Celebrity Reflection October 1, sailing of the Western Mediterranean. First time to Europe for us!

I will also reread your 2014 Venice to Rome next. Your ideas and experiences in Rome and Barcelona have been

exciting to re-read with the idea that in a few short months we will see all that! The research and planning have

been fun yet overwhelming at times. Thank you for these past reviews! They are invaluable to all of us, your readers.

Kitty

Norris,

My friends and I sail on Caribbean Princess this Sunday, 3/18. Your marvelous review and beautiful pictures have whet my appetite again for a wonderful adventure. Of course, watching two hours of the "Love Boat" yesterday afternoon certainly helped!

Thanks for taking the time...

Susan

Susan, Bon Voyage on the CB this Sunday!! We have only sailed her once so far. She has my favorite Skywalkers design.

Thanks for the compliments on the review!

I have never seen an episode of the Love Boat.

Best wishes,

Norris