Muse Maiden From Montreal - Sept 28-Oct 12 - Montreal to FLL

Master Echo

We agree with CrusinPashmina. The ship grows on you slowly, and with the changes already in progress and some small tweaks, the Muse will be lovely. We had an excellent meal in Atlantide last evening. The room is quiet and comfortable...much more like a restaurant shoreside. Tonight we will be in La Dame. Report to follow.

Was that the Muse docked in Morehead City today? I'm from the area, and my Facebook news feed was blowing up with pictures of a Silversea ship docked at Portside Marina. After doing a little bit of Googling, I assumed it was your ship but didn't think MHC was originally on the itinerary? I was wondering if they added it as a port day as I thought I'd read in a previous post that Savannah had been canceled. If you got off the ship today, I'm sure you noticed one of our area's "claim to fame": The North Carolina Seafood Festival was going on this weekend. I'm sure there were a lot of locals gawking at the ship as we normally don't get cruise ships in the area... the largest we've ever had before was something from American Cruise Lines. Hope you enjoyed your day!

Norfolk - October 7

Norfolk has laid out what it calls the Cannonball Trail. This comprises a walking tour of historic points of interest.

Sir and Madame collected a map of all the numbered points and a descriptive booklet for each of these and set off on a self guided tour.

Although the distance was only a few miles from leaving the ship, after a couple of hours they decided they had seen enough and returned onboard, very pleased with their morning's exploration.

Today turned out to be the start of the cruise for me, as finally the weather was warm enough to allow Sir and Madame to both sit on the padded and comfortable sun loungers and swim in the lovely long saltwater Muse pool.

In the early afternoon, the engineering department provided the starboard side of Deck 10 with a shower of chimney confetti. Madame thought that Sir had suddenly developed black dandruff on his pool towel, only to notice that her towel was similarly affected. Sir's light blue polo shirt now sported black polka dots. Thinking to take a dip in the pool would clean them off, they were disappointed to find the pool water also contained black specks!

Should the engineering department decide to repeat the process on the port side tomorrow when in Morehead City, Sir will be sporting his red polo shirt, but hopefully the two Sooty Terns will not return.

October 8 -Morehead City - this port of call replaced Wilmington, after the latter was a substitute for Charleston.

After a calm night's sail, Sunday dawned with beautiful blue skies. Captain Alessandro had advised that due to the North Carolina's seafood annual fair taking place, we had been asked to arrive an hour earlier at 10.00 am, as the Regatta's Fleet was being blessed at that time.

Morehead City's name is a degree of licence, as the population is only just over 8,000. Swelled today by the Fair and the many stalls selling a variety of food. This did not only include fish, but such diverse dishes as "hush puppies" which apparently is similar to an onion bhaji, and "funnel" pie, like a waffle. Surprising were the stalls selling fried Snickers etc, and much of the food was deep fried, and also typically Southern with corn and grits.

The festival and the fine weather certainly drew a big crowd and visitors from the surrounding area. The presence of Silver Muse generated much interest as many people said they had never ever seen a cruise ship here and was referred to as " the big ship". Several people remarked they were surprised the channel was deep enough for us to dock.

Replying to Les, the workmen have worked very quickly. Atlantide has only been closed for breakfast and lunch, opening for evening meals as normal. It is expected to only be closed for three days. Concerning a bridge visit, Silver Spectre took a picture of me whilst on the bridge during my tour and posted it several days ago.

I have just waved the pilot goodbye and am now on the high seas heading to Port Canaveral with a day at sea tomorrow.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

So glad you got to try hushpuppies. It's simple southern fried fare, that rarely gets done well. And when they are done well, they are simply wonderful. I have a "hushpuppy test" that I use to gauge southern restaurants.

The origin is supposed to be that cook would get the hounds to stop pestering her by throwing little bits of cornmeal batter into the fryer, and then to the dogs with the admonition "Hush, puppy!". It's the story I've heard all my life, and I'm sure it' not true.

Thank you so much Kate AHF for the explanation - I find the whole experience fascinating - this is the reason I travel to see other cultures. Sir and Madame had a very mean Jambalaya which was delicious and one of the best.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

And this is one of the more acceptable examples of the "art" on board! Does the subject look familiar?

Great sea day today. This ship has extensive outdoor spaces. Best of all there is a lot of shade which is wonderful for reading...and a little napping.

Jimmy continues to give us very fun Trivia. He must enjoy being the Trivia Master because he is really good at doing it. Biggest crowd I have ever seen. Lots of fierce, but friendly competition.

My very experienced team has been a consistent 2nd. Two more days left in which to triumph?

And this is one of the more acceptable examples of the "art" on board! Does the subject look familiar?

Great sea day today. This ship has extensive outdoor spaces. Best of all there is a lot of shade which is wonderful for reading...and a little napping.

Jimmy continues to give us very fun Trivia. He must enjoy being the Trivia Master because he is really good at doing it. Biggest crowd I have ever seen. Lots of fierce, but friendly competition.

My very experienced team has been a consistent 2nd. Two more days left in which to triumph?

Ok, your turn to win tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great Blues show by the Voices last night, these guys are really coming together. Last day in Port Canaveral today, hoping the SpaceX launch goes ahead just after we leave this evening, should be spectacular.

Nothing beats watching a launch and that sonic boom. I'm very envious. Only ever seen one go up and that was a Delta rocket in 1990. Pretty sure at the time, they said it was the US biggest craft after the Saturn V.

Drove round for ages trying to find a spot near enough with a clear view. At least you won't have that problem!

Well my days on the Muse this second time now draw ever quickly to a close.

I have spent two days docked at Port Canaveral, which has certainly not been the highlight of the cruise, and has been a sad ending to our trip. On the bright side, it has been two glorious days for weather, albeit a little humid. Provided the weather holds, tonight there is a launch from Kennedy Space Centre scheduled for an hour or so after we leave, but we should be able to see it if the skies are clear.

Tomorrow is FLL with all the hassle of "homeland security" prior to our return home.

The cruise has proved particularly edifying because of the amount of lovely CCers I have met, previously unknown. I would particularly like to thank Silver Spectre very much for all his assistance.

Atlantide has now been "de-walled", the bar now being open to the restaurant area. it is once again, business as usual, being open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Currently it has an extra 12 covers, but as from the next cruise when the Muse becomes identical to the rest of the fleet with the dress code shipwide, Atlantide will have expanded covers for open seating for impromptu dining with others.

i have heard that there are 16 passengers staying on for the next cruise which ends in Valpariso Chile. All have been invited for lunch and dinner in La Dame.

All for now

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Thank you so much for taking the time to post. Although I haven't added any to the discussion, we've certainly enjoyed your reports. We tried SS for the first time this past April (Regent and Crystal refugees!) and we were most pleased! Hopefully, we'll be back for the SS Spirts TA in Sept.

Thanks again for your reports (and a shout out to SilverSpectre!)

Linda and John

Awesome launch shot, Silver Spectre! Next best thing to being there.

Very much enjoyed your postings as always, Master Echo. And those from CruisinPashmina and Emtbsam as well. Great to have so many perspectives!

Bon voyage to all. We still have to wait two weeks until our cruise but it's inching closer! Not sure when we'll be on the Spirit or Muse, as we tend to favor the smaller ships - but you never know!

Thank you Silver Spectre and we echo (no pun intended) your commenfs.

We understand that the Grill was full last night, Atlantide virtually full, and no surprise, Indochine was nearly empty, apart from a large party of CC Trivia friends enjoying an oriental special dinner.

Signing off until the next time and hope information posted has been helpful.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

An interesting trip to the Marriott this morning, off the ship at 9:30, out into a thunderstorm and no bus. Eventually the bus arrives at 10. We then go to the Marriott via the Ritz Carlton, except the driver gets lost and ends up being directed by one of the guests via his phone. We ended up in a dead end street and took a 21 point turn to get out. The second time he got lost he backed out into a main road!

So a 15 minute drive took an hour and a half.