Tea/coffee making facilities in cabin

reedy8

When sailing in Australian (like on cruises from the UK or Asia) does Princess have electric kettle in cabins like Royal Caribbean do?

I, like many Australians, find the desire for a cup of tea/coffee (albeit instant) first thing on waking is only surpassed but the need to visit the bathroom.

I know it may not be far to go to get one, but that means getting dressed first and means you can't sit on the balcony in your PJs to enjoy it.

:D

When sailing in Australian (like on cruises from the UK or Asia) does Princess have electric kettle in cabins like Royal Caribbean do?

I, like many Australians, find the desire for a cup of tea/coffee (albeit instant) first thing on waking is only surpassed but the need to visit the bathroom.

I know it may not be far to go to get one, but that means getting dressed first and means you can't sit on the balcony in your PJs to enjoy it.

Not normally.

Room Service?

I believe there may have been some on the Asian market ship(s) at some point?

Not normally.

Room Service?

I believe there may have been some on the Asian market ship(s) at some point?

Yes, the Asian market, particularly the mainland Chinese avoid lines that don't provide a kettle. I don't want to generalise but I've noticed every second person on the streets of Chinese cities have a hot or cold tea flask with them.

Hi, have sailed on the Dawn, Diamond and Emerald from Australia and no kettles in cabin.

Have sailed on the Sapphire from Singapore and there was a kettle in the cabin.

As per above, order a pot of tea / coffee at you nominated time on the breakfast order, placed outside the night before. :)

We carry our own instant coffee & order a pot of tea from room service. They will deliver a thermal pot of nice hot water with tea bags on the side. Make whatever you like. We are not that fussed on Princess coffee.

• 1 year later...
On 7/19/2017 at 9:12 AM, crochetcruise said:

No. I think, like candles and smoking on balconies, it may be considered a Fire Safety issue.

Room Service or go to the International Café-they have GREAT cookies too!

HTH.

There have been coffee/tea making facilities on all P&O(UK) ships for many years without any safety issues whatsoever and have recently been added to Cunard cabins.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:30 AM, elliair said:

Also, don't even think about bringing a tea or coffee pot with you as it will be confiscated. Room service will bring you what you want, you can stay in your PJ's too. Put a robe on if you choose.

Tea pots fine.

only things with heating capacity are prohibited 

15 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

Princess out of the U.S. does not provide and frowns big time on pax bringing anything on board that is potential fire hazard. 

We were on Diamond Princess a few months ago in Japan and had an electric kettle in our cabin. Had one on Sapphire Princess too on a South East Asia cruise out of Singapore. 

2 minutes ago, Mama Fergie said:

We were on Diamond Princess a few months ago in Japan and had an electric kettle in our cabin. Had one on Sapphire Princess too on a South East Asia cruise out of Singapore. 

which is why I said cruises out of U.S., different policies.

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

There have been coffee/tea making facilities on all P&O(UK) ships for many years without any safety issues whatsoever and have recently been added to Cunard cabins.

P&O (UK) cruises are generally frequented almost exclusively by British people who have extensive experience of kettle safety since being children.  I think the main safety issue with kettles on board is people bringing unsafe appliances which do not have safety cut-outs or other features the more expensive types have. Most people I know could identify a dodgy kettle or know when it developed a fault.

Fire on board ships have massive potential for catastrophic disaster.  I had a look on cruiseship detective.com for fires and the Star Princess incident is documented in detail.  Conclusion of that event was cigarette discarded off high balcony.

Regards John

1 hour ago, john watson said:

P&O (UK) cruises are generally frequented almost exclusively by British people who have extensive experience of kettle safety since being children.  I think the main safety issue with kettles on board is people bringing unsafe appliances which do not have safety cut-outs or other features the more expensive types have. Most people I know could identify a dodgy kettle or know when it developed a fault.

Fire on board ships have massive potential for catastrophic disaster.  I had a look on cruiseship detective.com for fires and the Star Princess incident is documented in detail.  Conclusion of that event was cigarette discarded off high balcony.

Regards John

Having spent over 30yrs as a firefighter in the UK I am aware of the dangers of fires onboard ships at sea but even though there have been fires over the years on cruise ships to my knowledge none have been caused by kettles supplied in cabins by cruise lines. Can understand the cruise lines worry about people bringing electrical appliances onboard not just limited to kettles and there have been many more fires in the UK caused by mobile phones and Ipad/tablets/PCs while being left on charge which everyone seems to bring onboard these days without a worry but occasionally kettles rear its head as dnagerous for some reason. I think the majority of the rules about kettles being brought onboard were made before the mass use of mobile phones etc.