Launderette etiquette

abefroman329

When using a launderette on board, I always use the one that is nearest, be that up or down decks, rather than walk those never-ending QM2 passageways (you'll see what I mean) to the launderette on "my" deck. Saves an awful lot of time when I go to check if it is "done" yet.

(If my memory is correct, on QM2 a wash cycle takes about 40 minutes, depending on the machine)

Edited by pepperrn

You mean when you stand at one end of the corridor and you can't see the other end because it's disappeared over the horizon ?
Into infinity and beyond.

Deck 6, port side passageway is, I think, the longest on board. Quite a walk end-to-end. I timed walking it once, at a gentle pace, now forgotten the result!

(On Queen Mary in Long Beach, the "sheer" of the decks means you cannot see the far end of cabin passageways, from memory)

Edited by pepperrn

Into infinity and beyond.

Deck 6, port side passageway is, I think, the longest on board. Quite a walk end-to-end. I timed walking it once, at a gentle pace, now forgotten the result!

I was tempted to reply that if the ship is of equal length, then why is one passageway on the port side the longest on board, surely it should be the same on the other side?

But I won't :D

I use that handy little bag in the room. Pop your clothes in, and magically they arrive back all clean and pressed !!

Oddly, it's the one service on board that's cheaper than at home and I do take pleasure from not being ripped off when using it.

That's odd - wash and fold at home is $1.20 a pound, and when we were in England in November, I was able to wash four days of our dirty laundry for about 15 quid.

I was tempted to reply that if the ship is of equal length, then why is one passageway on the port side the longest on board, surely it should be the same on the other side?

But I won't :D

There is a wall on the starboard side of deck 6 that separates the forward cabins from the rest. I've never noticed but maybe there isn't a similar wall on the port.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

At least on the QV, they really should have a small window in the doors to the laundry rooms. It's very tight inside and it's easy to bump people with the doors. Personally I open the doors slowly, but z lot of people just barge in....

One peculiarity on QM2 is that the launderettes are not "stacked" as they are on the other ships. Must be something to do with the one off design. Logically all the laundry facilities would be expected to be run vertically through the decks. Another example of the somewhat awckward lay out.

David.

One peculiarity on QM2 is that the launderettes are not "stacked" as they are on the other ships. Must be something to do with the one off design. Logically all the laundry facilities would be expected to be run vertically through the decks. Another example of the somewhat awckward lay out. David.
Or quite the opposite.

On the huge QM2, having the launderettes either aft or forward (they almost alternate as you rise up the decks) means that, instead of walking the entire length of the ship to find a laundry, there may well be one above or below you, and therefore closer (by lift/elevator). Passengers in the middle of the ship only have to walk half the length of the vessel.

So, not awckward (sic) at all. An entirely user-friendly layout.

Edited by pepperrn

I don't think using a laundromat on a deck other than you are located is in violation of 'launderette etiquette', but I wanted to advise of something that happened to us last month on the QM2. Following the wash cycle, we put some laundry of my husband's into a dryer, set it for a specific time and returned for it just minutes after the cycle was due to end. We found an empty dryer and no laundry. (So obviously it was not just removed because another passenger needed to use the machine). A search of the room turned up nothing so we were baffled. We concluded that the clothing must have been taken by mistake so left a polite note attached to the dryer requesting that the laundry may have been taken in error, so when the other passenger realized that the items were not theirs, would they please just leave them in the laundry room to be collected.

Next morning I went to check and found SOME of the items folded on the ironing board. - underwear and a couple of pairs of socks. The tee shirts and dress socks were still among the missing! I still can't believe that anyone could not realize that the items were not theirs. Ok - white tee shirts and black socks all look pretty similar, but if you know that SOME of the laundry you removed from the dryer is not yours, would you not take a close look and discover that NONE of it is? Launderette etiquette, indeed. It's still a mystery so we can only hope that the missing items have gone to a good home.

There is an upside to this... Husband has now decided that perhaps using a public laundry while on vacation is probably not the best idea after all and we really need to go back to stuffing that laundry bag! Amen to that.

That is baffling! I once lived in an apartment building with communal washers and dryers and once stopped my elderly neighbors from leaving the laundry room with my extra-large bottle of laundry detergent. I think they were responsible for all of my towels and bath mats disappearing from the laundry room a few months prior to that. Probably old age rather than malice, but who knows.

We can't afford to send our washing out, and with the stories I've heard, I'll probably have to hang out in the laundrette and read a book while our clothes are being washed.

"Can't afford to send washing out' is (or in our case WAS understood). However, while the items lost were not expensive at all (four to a pack socks and underwear as opposed to designer labels) it still probably cost more in items appropriated by another passenger than it did do have the laundry sent to the ship's facility! I get it - we can either sail Cunard or buy designer undies (budget does not stretch to both...) but the $15-20 worth of clothing lost could have paid the laundry fees for the items lost.

I know this is probably a one off scenario, but my advice is to just bite the bullet and eschew the laundromat unless you have a good book and a lot of patience. As already reported, the husband is now a covert to the ships laundry with very little encouragement from me, apart from a wry expression and much eye rolling (both mine) when he realized he had only two pairs of underwear and five days left without sight of land....

This reminds me of the urban legend that has gone around on every line we have sailed.

A woman, on a luxury line, washes an easy-care dress in the launderette. When she returns, the dress is gone, quite to her dismay.

A few days later, she is in one of the lounges when she spies a woman wearing her most distinctive dress. She approaches her and says, "I think you are wearing my dress!" To which, the woman replies, "Prove it!" The "legend" ends there, but, apparently things go missing.

On the other hand, there was a basket in the laundry room for months with some very nice clothing, including a hat, so you think someone would have come looking for them.

Ricki

I

... On the other hand, there was a basket in the laundry room for months with some very nice clothing, including a hat, so you think someone would have come looking for them. Ricki
Hi ricki,

Last November/December on QM2 in the Caribbean, in the laundry room on Deck 11, I noted there was a basket of neatly folded clothes in a corner. As I was waiting for "my" machine to finish, a lady (also waiting) said that the basket had been there since she boarded in Southampton.

On the afternoon of my last day on board (before returning to New York), I happened to be passing and looked in, and yes, there was the basket, still in a corner.

I presume a passenger did a "last day wash", packed and left, forgetting they had clothes elsewhere on the ship (but surprised how roomy their cases were...).

I wonder if someone currently on board could check and see if that well travelled laundry (it could have been on the world cruise), is still there?