Alcohol Allowance

walworthwall

On Aurora's worldie we were allowed 1l spirits per person per sector bought on board at duty free prices - ie 1 litre Gordon's export gin for around £11.
That's as cheap as chips,Cunard want 57 quid for the same,lol.

Well hopefully he would have read the dress code before he boards so will bring other suitable clothes.

Of course the problem would be if someone’s case gets lost but that would be exceptional circumstances so hopefully would be sorted by P & O.

Sadly, there are quite a few people these days who either don't read the information available or can't be bothered to try and adhere to the 'rules'. When I started cruising back in 1995, you would not have seen a pair of jeans on a cruise ship - daytime or evening! How things have changed...

I can't remember exact prices but they have 2 for $25 and 2 for $35 promotions. They will price match so people were getting partial refunds after our Gibraltar call. Generally only for taking off the ship rather than drinking on board but things may be different on World Cruise segments.

They are enforcing the BYO Alcohol policy because P&O want you to buy their drinks at inflated prices. They don't want you to drink your own. Just like on other Carnival brand lines, Princess, HAL etc. P&O Australia forbid any alcohol being brought on.:loudcry:

It is obvious alcohol sales targets are not being achieved on P&O UK ships. Hence the Carnival Corp bean counters have struck. I reckon Cunard will be next on the hit list, if not already.

TBH i don't blame them especially when people openly pour their own drinks from bottles they have brought on themselves​.

I can't remember exact prices but they have 2 for $25 and 2 for $35 promotions. They will price match so people were getting partial refunds after our Gibraltar call. Generally only for taking off the ship rather than drinking on board but things may be different on World Cruise segments.

Price matching Gibraltar prices is not as easy as it sounds because it is difficult to prove prices ashore. You could buy a 1 litre bottle of spirits in Gibraltar and get a receipt but P&O would have to look after it until the last day of the cruise so buying another onboard as a price match, which can also only be collected on last day would be in breach of customs limits of only 1 litre. Last time I was in Gibraltar, shops were not allowing people to take a photo of the bottle and price on the shelf to use for price matching evidence so that is not possible.

I took a photo of a bottle on a shelf, with the price on the shelf visible, in a shop on an earlier visit and there was no problem either in the shop or onboard ship where they honoured the price. As it was our first port of call, we drunk what we had bought in Gibraltar in our cabin and took the price matched one home within the customs limits.

I think the stores are worried about losing business through price matching and this will only increase if purchasers who buy bottles to drink onboard will not be allowed to do so. Hence they will not assist this to happen by allowing photographs to be taken in their store. Hard to disagree with.

I took a photo of a bottle on a shelf, with the price on the shelf visible, in a shop on an earlier visit and there was no problem either in the shop or onboard ship where they honoured the price. As it was our first port of call, we drunk what we had bought in Gibraltar in our cabin and took the price matched one home within the customs limits.

I think the stores are worried about losing business through price matching and this will only increase if purchasers who buy bottles to drink onboard will not be allowed to do so. Hence they will not assist this to happen by allowing photographs to be taken in their store. Hard to disagree with.

It must be disheartening for the crew who are away from their families for months to see passengers openly drinking their own alcohol and potentially losing their jobs if P&O aren't profitable.

It must be disheartening for the crew who are away from their families for months to see passengers openly drinking their own alcohol and potentially losing their jobs if P&O aren't profitable.

I hope nothing I have written implies that anybody saw me drinking alcohol I bought in Gibraltar onboard. I drunk it in my cabin which as far as I know was permissible at the time. Anywhere else I go on the ship, I buy from the bar or restaurant. I do agree with your comments about the crew potentially losing out and would never drink something in public areas unless I had bought it in a bar or restaurant.

I really do not think that those few irresponsible people drinking their own alcohol in public bars are going to cause P&O to make a loss.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

On Aurora's worldie we were allowed 1l spirits per person per sector bought on board at duty free prices - ie 1 litre Gordon's export gin for around £11.

Now I think that is perfectly reasonable. On recent cruises I've done including a 35 nighter on P&O there was no such concession. All duty free was collected from the shop on the last day of the cruise.

I hope nothing I have written implies that anybody saw me drinking alcohol I bought in Gibraltar onboard. I drunk it in my cabin which as far as I know was permissible at the time. Anywhere else I go on the ship, I buy from the bar or restaurant. I do agree with your comments about the crew potentially losing out and would never drink something in public areas unless I had bought it in a bar or restaurant.

I agree we are the same we buy all our drinks in the bars from the barstaff.

It is a knock on effect and soon everyone would be drinking their own alcohol which could affect the bar staff number's.
All P&O have to do is enforce their own rules. If people are brazenly drinking their own alcohol, they must be easy to spot, and should have their drink confiscated. Simples.

All P&O have to do is enforce their own rules. If people are brazenly drinking their own alcohol, they must be easy to spot, and should have their drink confiscated. Simples.

I agree totally although some people were going back to their cabins to fill their glasses then came back to the bar.

When I read the Facebook post from cruise critic about this, I was ready to be fuming. I generally don’t like being told what I can have in my luggage for someone else’s revenue protection.

However, the policy still seems more relaxed than other lines. Normally we’ll bring a bottle of gin or vodka onboard for pre dinner balcony drinks. As this is still allowed, it seems pretty reasonable.

Also if you choose to bring on wine (which I never have) there’s also no corkage. Which again is pretty reasonable.

The only slightly disappointing thing is that sometime we’d buy a few extra bottles of local beer ashore to enjoy on the balcony (instead of the spirits, not as well!) and we won’t be able to do that.

It’s not really the last nail in the coffin for me that I thought it might be following the last very average cruise we took with p&o. The big saving grace for the little we do drink, the onboard prices are far more reasonable than most lines. Which means p&o would still be an option for us.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

When I read the Facebook post from cruise critic about this, I was ready to be fuming. I generally don’t like being told what I can have in my luggage for someone else’s revenue protection.

However, the policy still seems more relaxed than other lines. Normally we’ll bring a bottle of gin or vodka onboard for pre dinner balcony drinks. As this is still allowed, it seems pretty reasonable.

Also if you choose to bring on wine (which I never have) there’s also no corkage. Which again is pretty reasonable.

The only slightly disappointing thing is that sometime we’d buy a few extra bottles of local beer ashore to enjoy on the balcony (instead of the spirits, not as well!) and we won’t be able to do that.

It’s not really the last nail in the coffin for me that I thought it might be following the last very average cruise we took with p&o. The big saving grace for the little we do drink, the onboard prices are far more reasonable than most lines. Which means p&o would still be an option for us.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Still seems a little unfair that you can only take on board a litre of spirits, or beer, or wine. A slightly more generous wine allowance would have stopped a lot of the moaning on the various sites. It also seems wrong that the allowance is the same for a 2 day cruise as a 22 day one.

Sounds reasonable to me. First you can bring a litre of spirit on board and also when I have consumed my own alcohol in hotels it has been because their prices were sky high and that sounds not to be true.

I am still researching my first P and O cruise, been with several other lines, and this does not put me off at all.

Sounds reasonable to me. First you can bring a litre of spirit on board and also when I have consumed my own alcohol in hotels it has been because their prices were sky high and that sounds not to be true.

I am still researching my first P and O cruise, been with several other lines, and this does not put me off at all.

To be honest it is hardly worth the effort of carrying spirits on board when the in cabin prices are so low.9d8cd23c4e0607777acca2e5478b74e0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums