Ocean Medallion

RestonCruiser

I’ve been skeptical about that claim because airlines & cruise lines have our passport information but still require a physical scan at check-in. A mere passenger created photo of a passport does not ensure the authenticity of a passport nor that the passenger has it when required by a country’s immigration department. Some countries hold our passports which won’t work if Princess allows a passenger to board without physically checking that passengers have their passport with them.

I suspect this is one of the promoted functions that will never be implemented & that a physical check of passports will still be necessary. With numerous reports of requiring photos multiple times during the boarding process over 5 months after initial implementation the ***** system still cannot even accomplish this simple task.

We had to physically present our passports for verification at the pier yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just came back from the M&G for our Cruise Critic Group on this cruise. We had quite a turnout of officers/cruise staff and one of the topics discussed was the *****. No real answers as to the timelines or the addressing of the current problems. It was mentioned that one of the reasons there were so many problems was because it had been tested on land in a concrete building and when it was implemented on the ship no one had anticipated having the problems they encountered with all the metal on the ship. It was also told to our group that the Caribbean Princess will be the next ship to begin to implement the ***** with a limited number of cabins in the not to distant future although no specific date was given. Said that it will happen before fully implemented on the Regal. Apparently there have been modifications and adjustments and they are hoping the Regal can learn from how it is rolled out on the Caribbean and then implement those same changes in the Regal. We shall see.

It was mentioned that one of the reasons there were so many problems was because it had been tested on land in a concrete building and when it was implemented on the ship no one had anticipated having the problems they encountered with all the metal on the ship.

OMG! [emoji5] No one on this project anticipated there might be problems. [emoji33]

Thanks for the current update about the Caribbean being the next ship because originally the Royal was the second ship scheduled after the Regal...wonder why the change.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wonder if there is some design differrnce that makes Regal and Royal less compatible with ***** than other ships in the fleet.

Maybe just a larger ship with more work required to implement *****? The Caribbean is about 25% smaller than those ships.

We cruised CB March 18. It was slated to be the first Medallion cruise on that ship but, obviously, that didn't happen. While I was looking forward to checking out the new system I'm glad they pulled it - once they figured out that ships are made out of steel. :rolleyes:

I will gladly wait until they get the system working. They have so much invested in the Medallion I can't see them abandoning the project altogether. BTW: Loved the Sesame Street reference. :D

...It was mentioned that one of the reasons there were so many problems was because it had been tested on land in a concrete building and when it was implemented on the ship no one had anticipated having the problems they encountered with all the metal on the ship,,,

I've stated I have had experience with failures with new software roll outs. Every time there was a problem, management would come out with bizarre reasons for the issues that later were discovered to be plain lies. A steel ship would not effect the actual software or any hardwired peripherals. It might effect the "location" aspect of the the system as far as pin pointing your location, not the general area. Anyway, as far as the "steel" excuse, I'm throwing the BS card.

A steel ship would not effect the actual software or any hardwired peripherals. It might effect the "location" aspect of the the system as far as pin pointing your location, not the general area.

Uhh...

What parts of the ***** software does not rely on a pinpointed location?

"Hello, Mr Jones... Oh! He's the guy over there?!?"

::runs and hides:: ;)

We still had to be photographed for the security photo when going on the ship .

***** did not work at signing in for muster station. We had to use the accompanying cruise card. ***** does not work at the bars for us. Hubby just made a purchase in one of the shops. ***** “worked” for that but not really. We are Elite and using the ***** it did not give the 10% discount. Purchase had to be redone using his cruise card. ***** is still opening our door all of the time. Lots of money just to have your door unlock... in my opinion.

I can't believe they haven't fixed that. I finally had to go to customer service and have them give me the elite card because I was having such a hard time getting the discount at the store back in december.

It sounds like no progress has been made at all. That's about all ours was good for on the Dec 3 2017 sailing.

***** is like some thing that has gained self awareness, with no direction except to promote itself....... ( real sci-fi stuff no..just departments all working my themselves... )

Now what does ***** stand for Oh My.... where to next... as long as it does sink the ship

Time for another G&T

Cheers Don

I've stated I have had experience with failures with new software roll outs. Every time there was a problem, management would come out with bizarre reasons for the issues that later were discovered to be plain lies. A steel ship would not effect the actual software or any hardwired peripherals. It might effect the "location" aspect of the the system as far as pin pointing your location, not the general area. Anyway, as far as the "steel" excuse, I'm throwing the BS card.

Within the past 2 weeks, there were some posts by a ***** cruiser about how before they cruise,

they were unable to use the Ocean Apps which are available --- they could not get the apps

to accept their credential. (Sorry, I don't remember the name, but there are 2 or 3 of them).

No steel involved.

And, a post earlier in this thread -- no elite 10% discount when using *****...

No steel involved.

This is the post I am thinking of (about the apps):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55780209&postcount=1

Edited by pablo222

i want it done for my cruise in October . i am will going on my first princess cruise on the regal and this will nice to have for my cruise.

If you have it on yours, that's good news for us as well in December. Fingers crossed.

OMG! [emoji5] No one on this project anticipated there might be problems. [emoji33]

Thanks for the current update about the Caribbean being the next ship because originally the Royal was the second ship scheduled after the Regal...wonder why the change.

We were told early on that the CB was to be the second ship to implement the ***** because it was of the "Grand Class" design and would be the template for the rest of the fleet to follow for implementation.

We are on the Regal April 15 sailing right now. We are in a mini-suite. Got *****’s at check-in. Went to ***** orientation meeting 1st day. We are platinum level members. We each have free internet and texting for entire cruise. We can toggle between our iPhones and iPads for free usage. Internet has worked very well for us throughout most of the ship. We are very pleased and impressed. They’ve come a long way. Don’t need to carry our ship cards with us while onboard. Just use the ***** for cabin entrance.

We are on the Regal April 15 sailing right now. We are in a mini-suite. Got *****’s at check-in. Went to ***** orientation meeting 1st day. We are platinum level members. We each have free internet and texting for entire cruise. We can toggle between our iPhones and iPads for free usage. Internet has worked very well for us throughout most of the ship. We are very pleased and impressed. They’ve come a long way. Don’t need to carry our ship cards with us while onboard. Just use the ***** for cabin entrance.

Thanks for the info - MedallionNet is fantastic isn't it? When you say you "Don’t need to carry our ship cards with us while onboard" - aren't the cards still needed for purchasing drinks from the bar and items from the shops?

Edited by dides

`antsp` in another thread

"We are on caribe deck, as I look down onto dolphin deck balcony, the newly fitted ***** sensors have been installed, ( as have everywhere else ) the sensor is fully exposed with screw type cable connectors x 3. I can already see condensation inside the sensor. Exposed electronic connections in sea air. Any guesses anyone"

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55839815&postcount=19

Got *****’s at check-in. Went to ***** orientation meeting 1st day. We are platinum level members. We each have free internet and texting for entire cruise. We can toggle between our iPhones and iPads for free usage. Internet has worked very well for us throughout most of the ship. We are very pleased and impressed.

With ocean medallion?

Or, with free internet?

We were told early on that the CB was to be the second ship to implement the ***** because it was of the "Grand Class" design and would be the template for the rest of the fleet to follow for implementation.

Not sure who told you that but I read on the original ***** webpage that the CB was the 3rd ship scheduled (second class of ship) after the Regal (November 2017) and Royal (January 2018) were the first two ships scheduled.

That statement was on the *****’s webpage which has been removed & it currently only states that on the Regal “as we phase in Ocean Medallion activation by groups of staterooms throughout 2018” and nothing about other ships.

Being booked on a Royal cruise, I noted that it was scheduled as the second ship but didn’t take a screenshot shot as proof of their original schedule not thinking it would drastically change.

Edited by Astro Flyer