Question on drink tax

lbfluffy

How obnoxious! If the guvmint insists that Princess charges sales tax, Princess has to comply, but what a pain for Princess to keep track and pay state and local sales tax.

My on-board purchases in port are pretty minimal, and adding 10 percent or so in taxes won't make much difference, but just the administrative burden for the ship seems too high in relation to the additional revenues that the guvmint gets.

Burden? Princess owns a computer, that computer does the job. The passenger pays the tax. Depending on the jurisdiction, Princess MAY be able to keep a small portion of the tax.

Just back from Hawaiian cruise. We had the drink package. We did not get off the ship while in port. I can assure you that we imbibed during the time we were in port. We were not charged tax on our drinks but did order a "smoothie something, can't remember what it was other than something in a cup" in the International Cafe and were charged 11 cents tax on it.

That is why I am saying maybe - I have been charged in California and Florida in the past as well. It will vary from port to port but I do not believe I was ever charged sales tax while in port in Hawaii

We returned last week from a 28 day cruise to Hawaii and French Polynesia. My one of us had the all inclusive beverage package and one did not. The one who had the drink package did not get billed for sales tax on drinks while in port. The one who did not have the drink package paid sales tax on drinks purchased in Los Angeles and in Hawaii.