Not again! Another media beat-up plus possible court case.

Thanks, Chengkp75, you always provide interesting insights into issues.:) BTW do you mind if I copy and post that info elsewhere?

The first cruise I went on had a Noro outbreak, which started being reported about three days into the cruise I think. The numbers rose during the next few days. On our port stop in Suva they did a complete sanitization of the ship. The numbers started dropping, then all of a sudden climbed again during the last few days of the cruise. I was fairly certain it was passenger recontamination but it's great to have that confirmed.

Now if only they could come up with a way of combating the dreaded cruise cough. :confused:

If I've posted it, it is public, so knock yourself out with reposting.

My suggestion for "cruise cough" is to keep your sinus membranes hydrated using saline sprays. AC will dry out the membranes, removing the first and best line of defense against airborne vectors.

I disagree and find those views wrong. There are plenty of just as guilty crew members who do not take hygiene properly. Over my 16 years of cruising I have witnessed plenty of crew members who do not take hygiene seriously. Examples include lack of gloves in food serving areas, picking up empty drinking glasses by placing their fingers inside the glass and picking up multiple glasses and then collecting fresh drinks from the bar to serve passengers, placing pens between their ear and their hair, recycling pens that have been touched by multiple passengers. It happens on a daily basis. It is called complacency and with all people being human beings and susceptible to mistakes, the crew are no more superhuman, super clean or better in hygiene in any way than the next person. With the advent of social media and also having seen the debauchery that goes on at their crew parties with all the lewd photos really makes you wonder what bacteria, bugs and other germs the crew could be carrying. Trust me I am ex-Navy and like the military navy and the "girl in every port" phrase the same can be said of the crew on cruise ships who are away from family for up to 6 months of a time and may get lonely.

You might think it sounds cool to jump on the bandwagon and blame the passengers, but let me assure you most people are clean tidy and take their health seriously. The cruise line will always inevitably blame the passengers because it is more financially and legally sound for them to accept no liability for the spread of this virus.

Furthermore when the virus is spreading cruise after cruise it is more clear that the crew have not done their job properly disinfecting the ship otherwise the virus would have been eradicated.

Further still on turn-around day the crew have limited time to refresh the cabins and make them ready for the next passengers. Do you honestly think that the crew have cleaned every surface in that cabin to clear all the germs so that it is 100% clean for the next passengers? I do not think so.

I think it is very rude and offensive to blame it on the passengers when the crew can be equally if not more to blame.

What on earth has the crew being away from home for six or eight months at a time got to do with cleanliness ???????? (except maybe their mothers constantly reminding them to wash their hands :rolleyes:)Keeping their jobs depend on them following the company policies and the vast majority value their jobs enough to do the right thing and "management" are constantly monitoring them. IF, as you say, you have seen crew breaching these health rules "on a daily basis ", why have you not reported this to guest services or someone???? It obviously is not in the cruise lines interest to have Noro outbreaks and from what I have seen in the eight years I have been working at the OPT that they go far and beyond the required procedures to maintain a clean and healthy ship

I find it a bit "rude and offensive" when I watch three thousand or more guests being asked to sanitize their hands as they board the ship a good third of them stick their sea passes in their MOUTHS, sanitize their hands and then take the card out and hand it to the scanner operator to be processed, (funny side though are the guests that place the sea pass in the sanitzer dispenser..not their hands :'):'))

Edited by gbenjo

If I've posted it, it is public, so knock yourself out with reposting.

My suggestion for "cruise cough" is to keep your sinus membranes hydrated using saline sprays. AC will dry out the membranes, removing the first and best line of defense against airborne vectors.

Thanks once again, I will definitely try that on my next cruise.

What on earth has the crew being away from home for six or eight months at a time got to do with cleanliness ???????? (except maybe their mothers constantly reminding them to wash their hands :rolleyes:)Keeping their jobs depend on them following the company policies and the vast majority value their jobs enough to do the right thing and "management" are constantly monitoring them. IF, as you say, you have seen crew breaching these health rules "on a daily basis ", why have you not reported this to guest services or someone???? It obviously is not in the cruise lines interest to have Noro outbreaks and from what I have seen in the eight years I have been working at the OPT that they go far and beyond the required procedures to maintain a clean and healthy ship

I find it a bit "rude and offensive" when I watch three thousand or more guests being asked to sanitize their hands as they board the ship a good third of them stick their sea passes in their MOUTHS, sanitize their hands and then take the card out and hand it to the scanner operator to be processed, (funny side though are the guests that place the sea pass in the sanitzer dispenser..not their hands :'):'))

You highlighted in red "quire ironically" why you cannot understand the term 6 months away from family. Let me be more direct. The "Red Light District". Of course crew members visit these places.

What you described above is poor management on behalf of the cruise line and perhaps your line of work. Handing passengers cards and documents and then placing a hand sanitiser in their face. What do you expect them to do?

You highlighted in red "quire ironically" why you cannot understand the term 6 months away from family. Let me be more direct. The "Red Light District". Of course crew members visit these places.

Wow, stereotype much? I would say that a cruise ship with probably a 50/50 mix of men and women would have a bit different desire for the "red light district" than a naval vessel of all males. Also, not sure about your Navy, but ours either sits at the dock for extended periods, leading to more opportunity for the crew to desire these services, or they are on extended maneuvers and long periods between ports, unlike the almost daily in port environment of a cruise ship. And further, what does STD's have to do with noro or even personal hygiene? Have there been huge reports of passengers contracting STD's from cruise ships?

Wow, stereotype much? I would say that a cruise ship with probably a 50/50 mix of men and women would have a bit different desire for the "red light district" than a naval vessel of all males. Also, not sure about your Navy, but ours either sits at the dock for extended periods, leading to more opportunity for the crew to desire these services, or they are on extended maneuvers and long periods between ports, unlike the almost daily in port environment of a cruise ship. And further, what does STD's have to do with noro or even personal hygiene? Have there been huge reports of passengers contracting STD's from cruise ships?

No it is just a simple point that the crew are not holier than holy saints and are not the epitome of cleanliness and exceptional hygiene. They are human like the rest of us and easily make mistakes.

What you described above is poor management on behalf of the cruise line and perhaps your line of work. Handing passengers cards and documents and then placing a hand sanitiser in their face. What do you expect them to do?

I do agree with this. I'm not even sure of the point of one there; when I first sailed on cruises that wasn't in place. If it's just for general cleanliness put it at entry to the terminal when people's hands won't be full - and before they're instructed by staff to hold documents/passes in their hand!

Design things in a bad way, then don't be surprised when they're not used effectively...

I wouldn't think the red light district is a nest for noro.:o

No it is just a simple point that the crew are not holier than holy saints and are not the epitome of cleanliness and exceptional hygiene. They are human like the rest of us and easily make mistakes.

No one said they were, it is just that if they do not adhere to policy , they are in breach of contract and face dismissal. They have a lot more riding on maintaining hygiene that the average passenger.

Perhaps they could use a little "common sense" and NOT stick the card in their mouth....... and by the way ..the sanitizer is for the hands ..not the face 😱

All things being fair and equal I think that the crew are just as likely culprits to spread this virus as the next passenger.

Picking up empty bar glasses with their finger inside the rim and then picking up a new glass to serve the passenger a fresh drink is one example.

To save raving I will leave it at that. They are not saints and they are humans who make mistakes.

This is why I don't use my phone on the ship, wouldn't want to catch any STDs;p

I don't even take our mobile phone overseas, iPad will do, use the Elite internet on Princess and most hotels give it to you anyway.:halo: I don't think the Noro would hit ye olde iPad. But one could contract it from the key board of the on board 'putters, watch out for them little varmints.

Tell you a little dirty story from Golden Princess in 2014, don't get too excited. I was at the mens urinal, adjacent to the Wheelhouse Bar, a bar tender came in, used it, and was walking out the door, I yelled out 'Hey you forgot to wash your hands.' He turned around, glared at me and ended up giving his hand a wash, grub, if I had not been there, he would have taken his germs back into his bar. True story. Yes, some of the crew members are not real hygienic.

As for them visiting houses of ill repute, they would be the el cheapo ones, they send most of their coin home to Manilla or Mumbai and other places.

Edited by NSWP

The Ovation has iPads in the promenade to use the Royal IQ app to book restaurant and shore excursion bookings. Drinks at the Bionic Bar are ordered on iPads. I wouldn’t be game to even touch them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps they could use a little "common sense" and NOT stick the card in their mouth....... and by the way ..the sanitizer is for the hands ..not the face 😱

Time for protective gloves for your mob Graham, with those grubs sticking their cards in their gob. I would put the gloves on, Work, Health and Safety Issue.:halo:

The Ovation has iPads in the promenade to use the Royal IQ app to book restaurant and shore excursion bookings. Drinks at the Bionic Bar are ordered on iPads. I wouldn’t be game to even touch them.

We take our own iPad, the ships ones would be dodgy.:o

There have been a number of studies on the cleanliness of iPads and iPhones, and other such touch devices.

The ones on display in stores were swabbed and found to host an enormous amount of unpleasantness. Easily transferred, not nice if infectious.

Use of such devices on a cruise ship would not be my ideal.

To make people feel better, Private devices were also swabbed. Not good results.

Submitted from my iPad.

I just wash my hands afterward.:D

I don't even take our mobile phone overseas, iPad will do, use the Elite internet on Princess and most hotels give it to you anyway.:halo: I don't think the Noro would hit ye olde iPad. But one could contract it from the key board of the on board 'putters, watch out for them little varmints.

LOL, I actually meant Subscriber Trunk Dialling when referring to STDs on the phone

Wouldn't expect them to be any different from handrails, lift buttons and so on. And that's why the crew regularly clean things that are touched.

It's not automatic that if you touch anything touched by another person you'll get sick...

Time for protective gloves for your mob Graham, with those grubs sticking their cards in their gob. I would put the gloves on, Work, Health and Safety Issue.:halo:

We have started to encourage guests to hold and present their own card but then we have the "challenge" of having them turn the card barcode side up They do have a fifty / fifty chance of getting it right....... BUT.. 😱 If I have to, I will take the card by the two edges and advise them that the buffet is open and there is no need to eat their seapass......they get the message 😁

We have started to encourage guests to hold and present their own card but then we have the "challenge" of having them turn the card barcode side up They do have a fifty / fifty chance of getting it right....... BUT.. If I have to, I will take the card by the two edges and advise them that the buffet is open and there is no need to eat their seapass......they get the message

Great response, some pax can't wait until they get to the Food Jammer, sorry Windjammer, they want to eat their sea pass, fries with that? :loudcry::o:( I bet they get the message.:evilsmile:

I know what you mean, my wife managed a newsagency for twenty years, they would walk in with a dollar coin in their teeth for their paper, I suppose they were 'armless.' lol.

We have started to encourage guests to hold and present their own card but then we have the "challenge" of having them turn the card barcode side up They do have a fifty / fifty chance of getting it right....... BUT.. 😱 If I have to, I will take the card by the two edges and advise them that the buffet is open and there is no need to eat their seapass......they get the message 😁
LOL, you always provide great advice.:D