Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

Okay, finally got around to do doing some math. My conversion (check the math......have NOT baked it yet) yields the following recipe:

8 oz. dark chocolate (.5 lb)

8 oz. butter (2 sticks)

5 eggs

5 oz. sugar (5/8 Cup)

3 oz. flour (2/3 Cup)

Pour into greased mold. (Carnival serves it in ramekins.) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes.

The recipe Carnival sent me did not include the yield for their "jumbo" recipe. (As one poster above wondered.) I am guessing (hope it works, please don't flame me if it doesn't) that the above would yield about 8 ramekins, give or take a couple either way. I would also guess that you would fill each ramekin maybe 2/3 full with the batter???

Happy Baking, and the first one to try it, post and let us know how it is!

P.S. It's not in the recipe, but on our cruise, Carnival topped the cake with powdered sugar, and served vanilla ice cream on the side.

Oops, forgot to paste in the directions in the post above! Here they are:

METHOD:

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Melt the chocolate & butter

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

Found the thread while searching for the recipe. Finally gave up and emailed Carnival. They coughed up the recipe! Oops.....it's enough for a ship full of people. If I ever get around to the conversions, I'll post. Maybe someone else will be really ambitious and post them for us. (Or, with the ingredients in hand, there's probably a similar, smaller recipe out there somewhere.) Good luck! Here it is:

MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE:

80 lb Black chocolate

80 lb Butter

800 ea Eggs

50lb Sugar

30lb Flour

METHOD:

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Melt the chocolate & butter

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Pour the mix in a greased mould.

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 14 minutes

Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

Hummmm.....wonder if this recipe will be enough for Chrismas dinner?

About a month ago, Carnival decided to start shaking up their menus. Some of the old standards that we're all used to (such as Beef Wellington) are no longer being served. The new menu is a bit more "upscale" and creative, offering more innovative cuisine than what had been offered in the past. In the past, in addition to the items on the menu, many people knew that you could always get a steak, or chicken, or something else (can't remember what -- fish?). Now they've formalized that by offering the "alternative menu" at the bottom of each night's menu. The offerings are almost identical from night to night -- there's always a beef dish, though it might be a minute steak one night, top sirloin the next, and short ribs the next. When it comes to dessert, the same thing happens -- there's a couple unique items each night, and then there are the alternative items, including the lovely new Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. It does look very similar to the Chocolate Lava Cake posted earlier in this thread, although it's served in a ramikin (much like a souffle) -- in fact, in my opinion, it's a cross between a chocolate souffle (that hasn't risen) and a hot chocolate pudding.I'd hardly agree that I'm the best... I just believe in doing nice things for people. If she loved it so much, why wouldn't I want to make her happy by making it for her again? (And no, I'm not in the doghouse... at least not this week!)Well, the answer will most likely land me in the doghouse... While she's stuck at work over the holidays, I'm planning to take another cruise. Of course, the sole purpose of that cruise will be to beat the pastry chef into submission until he tells me the recipe for the cake... :)

I highlighted the red part to tell you that on the Celebration on Dec 2, I was able to have Beef Wellington. Also the TV was running a show about how to make the Warm Chocolate Melting cake...I wish I would have paid more attention! I loved the cake too! YUM...our waiter brought it out for me every night!

Warm Chocolate Cake

phillyBurbs.com

Butter and flour for preparing pans

5 whole eggs

5 egg yolks

7 tablespoons sugar

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate

9 ounces unsalted butter

10 tablespoons flour (measured, then sifted)

Fresh raspberries

Butter and flour individual ceramic custard or souffle dishes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees, or 375 degrees if you have a convection oven.

Whip the eggs and the egg yolks with the sugar. Melt the chocolate and butter until just warm. Incorporate the egg-sugar mixture into the chocolate and butter. Mix in the sifted flour.

Fill prepared dishes two-thirds full. Bake for 8 to 11 minutes in a conventional oven, or about 7 minutes in a convection oven. The cake is done when the center just starts to puff up, and the cake begins to form a skin on top. Do not overbake. This makes about 15 servings.

I have a picture but I dont know how to make it smaller.

Tim

My DM and I visited the local Applebee's last night and lo and behold they had a dessert called "Triple Chocolate Meltdown":D . OMG it waaaassssss sssssoooooo good, probably the closest thing to Carnivals as you can get. So for you chocolate lovers that are having post cruise withdrawls you might want to check it out....:p YUM........

TriChcMeltdown_det.jpg

Actually, the cake served by Carnival is EXACTLY the same cake that you can buy from Trader Joe's in their freezer section. 1 minute in the microwave and you have a delicious dessert.

Its called a Lava Cake at Trader Joe's and come two to a box for under $3

Warm melting chocolate cake at home!!! Did the conversions from Carnival's jumbo recipe and tried it...I think we've got it! Here's the recipie I used:

8 oz. dark chocolate (i used 1 1/3 C. semi-sweet choc. chips)

8 oz. butter (i used one stick salted, one unsalted)

5 eggs (room temperature)

5/8 C. sugar

2/3 C. flour

Melt chocolate & butter over low heat. In mixing bowl, mix eggs and sugar, then add flour. Slowly whisk into the melted chocolate mixture. Pour into greased (i used Baker's Joy) ramekins. (i tried 4 oz. & 7 oz. -- 7 oz. is just too big!) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes. Yield: 36 oz. unbaked batter; 8 servings if you use a 4 oz. ramekin.

Adjust times according to the size ramekin you use, and the texture you prefer. In a 4 oz. ramekin for 13 min., the texture on the inside of the cake was a little heavier than pudding, kind of like a loose fudge. I also did some in my convection oven at 350F. 13 minutes in a 4 oz. ramekin yielded a smooth, hot fudge sauce-like center. In the 7 oz. size, 16 min. at 350F in the convection oven produced a pudding-like texture in the middle. Regular oven, 7 oz. size, at 400F, smooth, heavy sauce-like texture resulted after 14 min.

Warm melting chocolate cake at home!!! Did the conversions from Carnival's jumbo recipe and tried it...I think we've got it! Here's the recipie I used:

8 oz. dark chocolate (i used 1 1/3 C. semi-sweet choc. chips)

8 oz. butter (i used one stick salted, one unsalted)

5 eggs (room temperature)

5/8 C. sugar

2/3 C. flour

Melt chocolate & butter over low heat. In mixing bowl, mix eggs and sugar, then add flour. Slowly whisk into the melted chocolate mixture. Pour into greased (i used Baker's Joy) ramekins. (i tried 4 oz. & 7 oz. -- 7 oz. is just too big!) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes. Yield: 36 oz. unbaked batter; 8 servings if you use a 4 oz. ramekin.

Adjust times according to the size ramekin you use, and the texture you prefer. In a 4 oz. ramekin for 13 min., the texture on the inside of the cake was a little heavier than pudding, kind of like a loose fudge. I also did some in my convection oven at 350F. 13 minutes in a 4 oz. ramekin yielded a smooth, hot fudge sauce-like center. In the 7 oz. size, 16 min. at 350F in the convection oven produced a pudding-like texture in the middle. Regular oven, 7 oz. size, at 400F, smooth, heavy sauce-like texture resulted after 14 min.

we missed this when it was offered the first few nights on our Miracle cruise (I think it's available every night now)....back to the story......one lady from our group asked the waiter about it and he said there was nothing he could honestly do about it , and that she should talk to the Matre'd........the next night our waiter informed us that our table was going to get a special run that friday night.............sure enough, they brought out a tray with 6 of the melting chocolate cakes to our table..............the look/stares on the faces of the people around us was priceless:mad: .........and I was thinking to myself..."all this over a chocolate cake...:confused: ".........and then I ate mine.....mmmmmmmmmmmm! Chocolate!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from the Inspiration, where we had Chocolate Melting Cake for the first time. Just curious, has anyone tried making it at home since the recipe was posted on here?

As with the original poster, my wife absolutely loved it, and I too would like to try making it at home.

Jeff

Loved this dessert on my Spirit cruise last month...Sometimes they were overcooked, resulting in a cake consistency..I preferred gooey and my waiter made sure to search out the perfect one for me every night...YUMMY!! Here is another recipe that states the trick is to refrigerate batter overnight. Good to know about the Trader Joe's Lava cake. I'll have to take a trip over there to pick up a couple.

Patrick Gautier's Soft-Centered Warm Chocolate Cake

Serves 8

The chocolate dessert of the nineties, these little cakes are baked to a crisp outside and a warm, melting center that acts as sauce. The recipe makes eight servings, and one key to success is leaving the batter to stand overnight. Then the cakes must be baked just long enough to hold a shape while the center remains soft. Don't worry if they overbake and set firm; they are still the very best of chocolate puddings.

5 ounces/150 g. bittersweet chocolate, chopped

3/4 cup/175 g. butter, cut in pieces

4 eggs, separated

1/2 cup/100 g. sugar

3 tablespoons/22 g. flour

Vanilla ice cream, crème fraîche, or whipped cream, for serving

8 1-cup/250-ml. ramekins

Butter the ramekins, freeze them for 5 minutes, and then butter them again. Finally sprinkle them with flour, discarding the excess. Put the chopped chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water and stir until melted and smooth, 5 to 8 minutes. Set the bowl aside to cool.

In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with half the sugar until thick and light, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture, followed by the flour. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar to form a light, stiff meringue, about 2 minutes. Fold the meringue into the chocolate mixture. Fill the ramekins to the rim, smooth the top with a spatula, and run your thumb around the edge to detach the mixture from the sides. Cover and refrigerate the cakes for 8 hours or overnight.

To bake the cakes, heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Set the cakes on a baking sheet and bake until puffed and set on the surface but still liquid in the center, 8 to 9 minutes. Take them out and let them cool for about 10 minutes so they shrink back into the molds. Run a knife around the edge and turn the cakes onto warmed individual plates. Top with a spoonful of ice cream, crème fraîche, or whipped cream, and serve at once.

Paula Deen's Molten Lava Cake is the closest recipe I have found. It is easy and tastes just like the Melting Chocolate cake.

6 (1-ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate

2 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate

10 tablespoons (1 1/4 stick) butter

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

3 large eggs

3 egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons orange liqueur (I prefer Chambord which is rasberry flavored)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Grease 6 (6-ounce) custard cups. Melt the chocolates and butter in the microwave, or in a double boiler. Add the flour and sugar to chocolate mixture. Stir in the eggs and yolks until smooth. Stir in the vanilla and liqueur. Divide the batter evenly among the custard cups. Place in the oven and bake for 14 minutes. The edges should be firm but the center will be runny. Run a knife around the edges to loosen and invert onto dessert plates.(You can serve it dusted with powdered sugar in the custard cups like they do on the ship)

Yummy! Ditto on the best boyfriend ever!

After reading this thread, we tried the melting cake on the Conquest, and one of our friends had it every single night. We made friends with the hostess and she gave us the recipe. It is different than the one previously posted, in that it has less sugar. This is the recipe we were given:

Melting Chocolate Cake served with Vanilla ice cream

Portions: 1000

Ingredients:

Semi Sweet Chocolate 70 lb

Butter 70 lb

Fresh Eggs 700 ea

Sugar 18 lb

Flour 25 lb

Method:

* Melt chocoate and butter

* Mix half egg and sugar and whisk for few minutes and add flour. Then add the balance egg.

* Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.

* Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups.

* Bake directly in the oven at 200 degrees C for 15 to 20 minutes.

* Serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz ramekin cups.

Garnish:

* Sweet chocolate

* Chocolate Run Out (please see the steps for making Run out)

* Powder sugar

That's all we got - don't know the steps for making the "run out".

I've looked at the conversions and don't quite have it yet, but the temp should be 390 degrees F, still working on the ingredient list.

Sherryl

• 3 weeks later...

I've been dreaming about Warm Chocolate Melting Cake since our cruise in December. I got up the nerve to order TWO of them on the last night, and unfortunately they were so undercooked that it was like lukewarm pudding, not even remotely cake-like even at the edges.

I'm back on a strict low carb diet for health reasons, and my goal this week is to find the perfect low carb, sugar free version of warm chocolate melting cake. I'm buying the ingredients tomorrow, with plenty extras so I can experiment with it. If I come up with something delicious, I'll be sure to post it here.

Susan

This desert was AWESOME!!! I had it and was addicted! I was so excited we went out to a nice resturaunt on New Years and they had it and I told them that I had it on the cruise and they had no idea and thought it was great, I said it was b/c it reminded me of the cruise...gosh I wish my DH would make it for me...instead he tells me to stay away lol!

I am still dreaming of warm chocolate melting cake...they also make a Gluten Free recipie for anyone who has Celiac disease. My hubby is not much of a dessert person but our waiter brought him a GF one on the second night & he LOVED it...had one each night.

Would love to find the gluten free version so I can make it for him on Valentines Day

Wonder if the cake is the same as Chocolate Lava Cake??? The Lava cake when cut is filled with soft/liquid chocolate ... one of my hubby's favorites.

I found a recipe with lots of photos of the Chocolate Lava Cake. Hope this helps:

http://www.pastrychef.com/htmlpages/recipes/chocolate_lava_cakes.html

Don't know if any of you have Kroger's in your area but in the freezer section (next to the frozen pies/fruit cobblers) Kroger sells its brand "Private Selection" Chocolate Molton Lava Cakes. All you do is pop them in the microwave for 45 seconds and you have Chocolate Lava Cake. They are really good.