What happens with a death at sea (& kudos to NCL)

elhenry

In all my years on Cruise Critic, this is probably the most thoughtful and informative post I've ever read. My hope for you op, is you'll not only cherish the wonderful memories of your father, but be assured of the fact that he was enjoying his last days with his beloved family.

I think he would be happy you continued on the cruise in his honor- I know I would if it were my family in your shoes.

I know this post is 5 years old, but hoping the op sees it.

Edited by justhappy
add comment

I needed to read this to help me put a far different perspective on what I am currently going through. I just packed up and moved my parents to Florida while I am stuck up here in Vermont. I miss them terribly but you just showed me how much of a child I am being. At least I can still call and visit them.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you must be feeling and I know how proud your dad must be of you. God bless.

I am so sorry for your loss. But as you said, what a way to spend your last day on earth. Lunch at Cagney's, with your family, at peace. My Grandmother died on a cruise ship 40 years ago, a complete shocker, she had a heart attack out of no where at 57 years old. I never thought the blessing of her last day on earth being on a cruise vacation that she loved. I was a little girl. I hope she was treated as well as your Dad. Thank you for sharing.

I am so very sorry for your loss. This was the most emotional post I have every read here on CC, and I thank you for sharing it with all of us. I cannot even imagine going away on vacation as a family, and then coming home with one less family member. It is nice to know that something like this was handled very appropriately and compassionately by the crew members. Prayers to you and your family.

Very sorry for your loss [five years ago as it may be], but thank you for taking the time to write about how well NCL handled it.

My aunt passed away on the first night of a Mediterranean cruise on a different, major cruise line (I see no reason to call them out in this thread -- it's in the past now). Suffice it to say, however, that their handling of the whole thing was fundamentally different. And not in any ways that were good. Many aspects of your story go straight to the heart of all my family found wrong with this other cruise line's handling of a terrible situation -- NCL seems to have showed compassion, efficiency, a willingness to bend rules which stood in the way of helping those in need, and an appreciation that you'd have no idea what to do in the aftermath while standing in an unfamiliar port. People should not take for granted that NCL seems to have their act together when it comes to handling events on board that can be life-changing for those who've survived; they might have just disembarked you and left you to sort it all out for yourself.

Hello everyone. Yes, it has been awhile since I have visited the forum, but I was emailed notices of the renewed postings in the thread.

Thank you everyone who has recently posted for your kind words; they are greatly appreciated. Yes, it was five years ago, but as everyone knows, you always miss your loved one, even if the loss was not recent.

In the intervening years, my mother has also passed on, although not at sea. Three months before she died, she traveled with all her children on the POA, fulfilling her lifelong dream of seeing Hawaii. I like to think that she and Dad are now sitting on the balcony together again looking at the sunset from another direction.

I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss.

Comforting to see how NCL handled it - lots of compassion and sensitivity.

God bless to you and your family.

Edited by karen_cpa
Just realized this was 5 years ago, but didn't stop me from sobbing. Sorry to hear of your mother's loss also.

I really appreciated this comprehensive story. It was wonderful how well you were treated.

But I find myself wondering how it would have went if you were outside the United States when this tragedy occurred.

I know that this post is 5 years old, but tears are on my keyboard as I type. I have never seen this post before, and I just want to say thank you for sharing this heartbreaking story. I can only imagine how difficult this trip was and I am happy that you were able to give us an update with the completion of a POA Cruise. God Bless.

I'm so glad you found your way back to this thread. I read through your initial story and just felt heartbroken at the loss of your dad. I lost mine almost seventeen years ago now, and it is still very sad. I am blessed to still have my mom.

I am so sorry for the loss of your parents. As many said before, they raised some really wonderful children who handled tragedy with such grace and calm.