Norwegian Dawn replaces the Norwegian Gem in NYC

shof515

2019 itinerary is out for cruises out of NYC. The Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Gem switches places. Gem goes to Boston and the Dawn goes to NYC. I have been on the Gem twice and going again in September. The Norwegian Dawn is older then the Gem. Anyone feel that is a downgrade of ships out of NYC compare to the Norwegian Escape that will also leaves out of NYC?

IMO a downgrade unless you are sailing in the GV.

Dawn has been in Boston for years so a change was needed but putting Dawn in NYC is probably a downgrade. At least they added some June Canada sailings instead of the lame summer ones to Florida and Nassau.

This stinks. Was thrilled when it was first rumored that Gem was going to be sailing again out of NYC and not New Orleans, with the BA going to NO.

Can't believe we are getting a ship in the Dawn that has less amenities than Gem. No slide, no Spinaker's, no Great Outdoors.

Not the way to service one of your biggest markets (probably 2nd biggest overall) NCL!

Bostonian are going to be happy with the fleet rotation, getting the newer Gem ... us being old cruisers on the Dawn when she was brand new in 2003, well - haven't been on her in 12+ years,

The Dawn did get a facelift with her recent dry dock, and if the price is right & itinerary are good - I suppose, we don't mind sailing an "older" ship again in 2019.

The Sky would be the oldest ship within the fleet, I think ... and, we've done the Sea & the Crown long ago.

This stinks. Was thrilled when it was first rumored that Gem was going to be sailing again out of NYC and not New Orleans, with the BA going to NO.

Can't believe we are getting a ship in the Dawn that has less amenities than Gem. No slide, no Spinaker's, no Great Outdoors.

Not the way to service one of your biggest markets (probably 2nd biggest overall) NCL!

This ones a head scratcher.Boston did well.They needed a different ship.The Dawn back to NYC is hard to believe.

I think it is an odd choice considering the ship has no Haven. I mock booked the lowest sailing week for the Garden Villa and at 22K I think they will be hard pressed to get straight bookings on them. New Yorkers have been spoiled and I cannot see people rushing to book the Dawn. I can see people consistently waiting and getting last minute deals on this ship.

2019 itinerary is out for cruises out of NYC. The Norwegian Dawn and Norwegian Gem switches places. Gem goes to Boston and the Dawn goes to NYC. I have been on the Gem twice and going again in September. The Norwegian Dawn is older then the Gem. Anyone feel that is a downgrade of ships out of NYC compare to the Norwegian Escape that will also leaves out of NYC?

The Jewel class ships are favorites of many, but I have to wonder, for those who are unhappy, how many of you have cruised the Dawn? Changes are not always bad and adding a few new itineraries is good. I care more about that than what ship is sailing out of where. I do agree not having the Haven is a disappointment to many but how many of us can afford the Haven anyway?

Bostonian are going to be happy with the fleet rotation, getting the newer Gem ... us being old cruisers on the Dawn when she was brand new in 2003, well - haven't been on her in 12+ years,

The Dawn did get a facelift with her recent dry dock, and if the price is right & itinerary are good - I suppose, we don't mind sailing an "older" ship again in 2019.

The Sky would be the oldest ship within the fleet, I think ... and, we've done the Sea & the Crown long ago.

Hi MKing - how is it going? We've sailed Star twice and Dawn once and really don't have much desire to sail them again. Jewel class ships are nicer IMO and Boston came out ahead in this one.

Spirit is actually the oldest ship in the current NCL fleet which is probably one of our more favorite ships after being on her twice. I know lots of people like the Sun (and Sky almost identical) but we have no desire to ever sail Sun again or try the Sky.

Have a wonderful Xmas and New Year!

I think it is an odd choice considering the ship has no Haven. I mock booked the lowest sailing week for the Garden Villa and at 22K I think they will be hard pressed to get straight bookings on them. New Yorkers have been spoiled and I cannot see people rushing to book the Dawn. I can see people consistently waiting and getting last minute deals on this ship.

I agree. I checked some pricing too and way too high.

I have mixed feelings about this swap with Boston....

Boston does deserve to get a newer ship, for sure.

The Dawn, with its original "New York" theme is the ship that is responsible for bringing all-year-round cruising back to New York, after about a thirty year absence....it used to be that when the old QE2 embarked on her round-the-world cruise around New Year's, there wasn't any cruises by any ship, until her return in the beginning of April. Now NCL has 2 ships sailing from New York all winter, and RCI also has one from Bayonne...

I certainly will miss the original Spinnaker observation lounge, that was removed a number of years ago to add more cabins.

So the Dawn has more passenger's now, and one less public lounge. They do have those entry level 'SJ' window suites, with full suite perks for just a little more than a mini-suite.

And I wouldn't mind seeing favorite duo Jose and Patti perform, if they are still doing so on the Dawn.....

Also will miss the Great Outdoors, and the Bridge Viewing Room that the Gem has.

What I would really like would be for the Bliss to replace the Escape in New York, between her Alaska season's....wouldn't it be great to have repos every year from/to New York and Alaska?

The Bliss is the first NCL ship (not counting the China based Joy), to have a Spinnaker obs lounge, since the Gem....

And the Bliss would be real competition to the RCI Anthem....race track cars vs. bumper cars....:cool:

The Jewel class ships are favorites of many, but I have to wonder, for those who are unhappy, how many of you have cruised the Dawn? Changes are not always bad and adding a few new itineraries is good. I care more about that than what ship is sailing out of where. I do agree not having the Haven is a disappointment to many but how many of us can afford the Haven anyway?

I care more about what ship is sailing out of where since I try to only cruise out of the NY area. I would think that the itineraries will probably be the same as what the Gem was sailing.

I might go to Boston or Florida to depart but NY is much easier.

If I am to travel, it opens up the possibilities to many other lines.

NCL was the easiest as it is right in NY. I know other lines are as well but NCL

seems to have a greater NY presence than the others.

I love the Dawn, it's probably my favorite NCL ship! We've sailed her several times from Boston and once from Florida, and also her sister ship Star a couple of times. Gem is fine too, and it'll be nice to have something different out of Boston since that's our closest port, but I'll definitely still drive to NY to hop on the Dawn if she has a decent itinerary.

I care more about what ship is sailing out of where since I try to only cruise out of the NY area. I would think that the itineraries will probably be the same as what the Gem was sailing.

i am the same way. the ship is more important for me then the itineraries. itineraries out of NYC is limited to compared to other ports

I don't see us cruising on the Dawn again. This ship is the first NCL ship we cruised in 2002, and several times afterwards out of NY.

Although we enjoyed those early cruises we prefer Jewel class ships with the Great Outdoors. When we were on Dawn they did have the Spinnaker and loved it there. I can't believe it was removed.

Oh well, we'll see how the Escape is next year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums