Help our cabin is not what we expected!

eddiecat

I understand it's very disappointing but go and enjoy everything else about the cruise. When you get onboard, go down to reception and explain calmly the circumstances maybe add a few tears!!) and ask them to keep you in mind if another cabin becomes available. You might even try leaving a note at Reception for the Hotel General Manager. Not saying it will work, but nothing ventured nothing gained! Don't get annoyed or it will be counter-productive IMO.

Thank you. Yes I'm sure we will still have a fab time. Already called P&O and had a little cry over the phone to them, they were very sympathetic and very understanding, I should be getting a phone call on Monday regarding the whole issue :)

Yes, to be fair it was a guaranteed booking, however the TA informed us that the cabin would be like any other balcony cabin! We trusted them with this holiday and it just feels as if we are paying a lot of money for something that isn't up to the standard we expected. Sorry if all of this sounds totally over the top, just want to make sure that I'm not wasting money. :)
Not over the top at all the TA clearly did not know much about Oceana or some of the limited cabins. Had you booked very early yoy could have had a suite or at least a mini suite fot the money you have paid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I know this might seem a bit of an “off” comment but as you have clearly travelled with P&O before (using the phrase loyal customers), what fare types have you booked on your previous trips and if you always book the same fare type then maybe you have been more fortunate in the past. I do hope however that you have a great cruise and are able to make the best of it

The price was worth it for us when we booked it (we needed the holiday so would have paid anything!!) However when we pay that price we expect to get the cabin we asked for. When we booked it the TA asked if we wanted a queen bed or twin bed and obviously we said queen. This made us believe that we didn't have to worry about it! Anyway, I'm sure we will make the best of it like you said, we will sort it out one way or another. (we aren't giving up that easily)

Not over the top at all the TA clearly did not know much about Oceana or some of the limited cabins. Had you booked very early yoy could have had a suite or at least a mini suite fot the money you have paid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

We wish! Fingers crossed one of the suites cancel their holiday and we get whisked into a wonderful cabin. Hahaha, anything other than the cabin we have been given would do at the moment actually. Anyway thanks for the reassurance!

Thank you. Yes I'm sure we will still have a fab time. Already called P&O and had a little cry over the phone to them, they were very sympathetic and very understanding, I should be getting a phone call on Monday regarding the whole issue :)

As I’ve said, even if you don’t get any joy when P&O phone you back (although I suspect that you might), don’t give up. If you can talk to the onboard Customer Service Manager once you are on the ship I think they are likely to resolve the problem for you. This role was upweighted a couple of years ago and it’s now a senior officer level. The chap on Britannia couldn’t have been more helpful and understanding.

I just wanted to add that if it was me in your shoes I would be very upset too. Hindsight is a wonderful thing where we wish we’d done something different, whether that is more research, not using the TA or whatever.

I sincerely hope that you get good news from P&O on Monday and if not, you are able to sort something better out on board.

Really hope it works out for you. Please let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I’ve said, even if you don’t get any joy when P&O phone you back (although I suspect that you might), don’t give up. If you can talk to the onboard Customer Service Manager once you are on the ship I think they are likely to resolve the problem for you. This role was upweighted a couple of years ago and it’s now a senior officer level. The chap on Britannia couldn’t have been more helpful and understanding.

Thank you so much for the advice, its set me at ease for now! Fingers crossed they will have some good news on Monday but if not I'll take your advice and keep pestering.

I hope you get it sorted and have a lovely time ( sounds like something you were so looking forward to and if you have been stressed small things seem so much worse than they are...you will look back and laugh one day ).....all I can say is I am glad me and hubby are at the stage we prefer separate beds LOL !!!

Thank you so much for the advice, its set me at ease for now! Fingers crossed they will have some good news on Monday but if not I'll take your advice and keep pestering.

Really feel for you re this one as I would be so disappointed too .......... I do hope that you sort it all out as holidays are so precious.

You seem to be the sort of person who will make the most of it all whatever ----- enjoy Oceana :-)

I hope you get it sorted and have a lovely time ( sounds like something you were so looking forward to and if you have been stressed small things seem so much worse than they are...you will look back and laugh one day ).....all I can say is I am glad me and hubby are at the stage we prefer separate beds LOL !!!

Very true! Such a stressful time, just feels like the cherry on top at the moment and was really looking forward to the holiday! Ahahah I don't know, now that I've thought about it maybe separate beds wouldn't be so bad!! Hahahaah :D

This made me laugh 24 yrs now ----------- Personally, I don't like the single beds as I can't prod, kick or hit him if he snores a lot !!!!!!!!!!

Love is a wonderful thing ;p

This made me laugh 24 yrs now ----------- Personally, I don't like the single beds as I can't prod, kick or hit him if he snores a lot !!!!!!!!!!

Love is a wonderful thing ;p

ear plugs are also wonderful things LOL

Your comment isn’t terribly informative unless you clarify whether you are talking about £100 a night in total or per person and what type of cabin you are referring to. The OP is talking about a balcony cabin. I presume you might be talking about an inside? If so, then that’s chalk and cheese, especially on the older ships where there are fewer balcony cabins and they carry a bigger price premium than the newer ships. Of course, if you are talking about a balcony cabin on Oceana for that price then your comment is entirely relevant and I apologise.

Our last 14 night cruise on Oceana in a well located balcony cabin was under £43pppn (booked 4-5 months in advance). For £6000, I’d be wanting a suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So yesterday my boyfriend and I were given our cabin number on the Oceana. We leave on the 14th of June. We paid for a guaranteed balcony cabin. However the cabin we have received just isn’t up to standards! We are loyal customers and are paying a lot of money to go on this holiday. We have been given,what P&O call a ‘railway cabin’, it’s long and narrow and has 1 fixed single bed with 3 Pullman beds!!!! We are a couple and didn’t expect this whatsoever. We have spoken to P&O but the cruise is full booked so can’t even upgrade us!!! Can someone put me at ease and give some advice??????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes enjoy your cruise go have fun

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Hi....I am still not altogether clear as to which fare you booked. It has been mentioned that you booked a guaranteed fare but you can still book a Select fare and it still be a guaranteed cabin. I still think that if you booked a Select fare with a guaranteed cabin a " swop" could be done with people that booked a Late saver fare requesting separate beds....they would maybe be pleased to receive an " upgrade" and for you to take the " downgrade" but with the chance of having the Queen bed. Apologies if I have overlooked where it has been said the actual class of fare that you have booked.

Do not know the details and it is up to the OP as to what they are willing to do here. Myself I would not accept the cabin and if that means not taking the cruise or never cruising on the line again that would be acceptable.

First would not deal with line level customer service. Would be talking to someone within the company who has some power. I have found that by passing customer service and contacting the legal department has worked well for me. Would be talking to my credit card company about disputing and refunding the charge based upon Fraud. I would also be pushing the fraud claim with any local government regulators they you can. The contract was for a queen size bed and a balcony cabin which they did not get. It would be very clear to the line that not correcting this would be very bad for business and the corporate image. Today with instant news and social media it is far less about which side is right and wrong and much more about what the public thinks. If you make enough noise with the line before the cruise they will correct or refund.

But it is the OP choice if they want to allow the cruise line to walk all over them and give them less than they paid for they can just take whatever is offered on Monday.

Did you get insurance? You’re still about 5 weeks away, so you could cancel the cruise, collect the insurance or take a future cruise credit, and then book something else. It’s not impossible, and would no doubt cost a little extra depending on the insurance refund, but it might be something to consider.

Do not know the details and it is up to the OP as to what they are willing to do here. Myself I would not accept the cabin and if that means not taking the cruise or never cruising on the line again that would be acceptable.

First would not deal with line level customer service. Would be talking to someone within the company who has some power. I have found that by passing customer service and contacting the legal department has worked well for me. Would be talking to my credit card company about disputing and refunding the charge based upon Fraud. I would also be pushing the fraud claim with any local government regulators they you can. The contract was for a queen size bed and a balcony cabin which they did not get. It would be very clear to the line that not correcting this would be very bad for business and the corporate image. Today with instant news and social media it is far less about which side is right and wrong and much more about what the public thinks. If you make enough noise with the line before the cruise they will correct or refund.

But it is the OP choice if they want to allow the cruise line to walk all over them and give them less than they paid for they can just take whatever is offered on Monday.

One feels your reply is a little over the top.

The customer booked through a useless TA. There has been NO fraud. A cabin wasn't chosen at the time of booking. The TA who may not know the ship so couldn't/didn't explain to customer what the sort of cabins are on this ship, as to what they would run the risk of getting. It is entirely possible that the TA didn't even pass on to pando that a queen bed would be preferred. I am not sure that the bed configuration forms part of the T and C myself.

Pando are trying to pick up the pieces for this customer. If they can they will ,if they cant well that is up to the customer to decide. I don't think making the sort of threats you suggest would actually get them on this cruise, which by their own admission they want to go on.

Pando cannot conjure up cabins out of thin air just because the TA didn't do their job and advise the customer what sort of cabins are on the ship.

One feels your reply is a little over the top.

The customer booked through a useless TA. There has been NO fraud. A cabin wasn't chosen at the time of booking. The TA who may not know the ship so couldn't/didn't explain to customer what the sort of cabins are on this ship, as to what they would run the risk of getting. It is entirely possible that the TA didn't even pass on to pando that a queen bed would be preferred. I am not sure that the bed configuration forms part of the T and C myself.

Pando are trying to pick up the pieces for this customer. If they can they will ,if they cant well that is up to the customer to decide. I don't think making the sort of threats you suggest would actually get them on this cruise, which by their own admission they want to go on.

Pando cannot conjure up cabins out of thin air just because the TA didn't do their job and advise the customer what sort of cabins are on the ship.

I agree on all points.

Did you get insurance? You’re still about 5 weeks away, so you could cancel the cruise, collect the insurance or take a future cruise credit, and then book something else. It’s not impossible, and would no doubt cost a little extra depending on the insurance refund, but it might be something to consider.

Too late for insurance , as I don't think they will cover a cancellation for I didn't get the bed formation I wanted. Also you can only move cruises on a select fare before final payment is made.

On our first ever cruise we were in B737 - two adults, two kids - and it was very nice, although I hasten to add we didn't pay anything like that kind of money. Very quiet too.

I can see why you would be hoping for one that could be used as a double, especially at your price, but don't think they've put you in some sort of dark hole. You'll still enjoy it.

I really hope this works out for the OP.

It raises a question, as to why Select bookings should offer Guarantee cabins? I know they do, as I recall paying something like a £30pp ‘premium’ to take the next (inside) cabin grade up from the lowest (guarantee) when booking a very cheap Oceana repositioning cruise. We really didn’t want to find ourselves in the cabins ‘behind/in front of’ Cafe Jardin, which make moving around that deck difficult.

So, should P&O cease making Guarantee available to Select bookers, or should customers pay a relatively small amount more to chose their cabin when booking? I think the former. I can’t see how a ‘pot luck’ cabin can constitute a ‘pay the highest amount to tailor your holiday’ Select booking

The op has posted the same post on another forum. She is a 19 year old "experienced" and "loyal" cruiser - her words. I am a little suspicious about a 19 year old paying this much money for a cruise.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Well my youngest daughter has just turned 20 and is an experienced and loyal cruiser, having clocked up over 100 nights on P&O. Needless to say, I have paid for all of them! Can’t think why anyone would bother to make this up.

As an aside we prefer to cruise with lines upmarket from P&O. You get what you pay for.......

I think you will find that the OP has got what she paid for and has booked this way in the past before.

They have booked a guaranteed balcony cabin saver fare The bed configuration is only a request not part of the deal they chose.

They even go on to say they had no idea that the cabins were not all the same and they had a clueless travel agent who led them into this situation .

Chances are if they had knew this could happen they would have opted for a select fare and personally chose a cabin that had a double bed option. Chances are they would in future.

The travel agent did not want to know and put the phone down on them but P&O who they did not book with are doing their best to help even though they do not have to.

So I find the comments above saying P&O are walking all over them with a bit of fraud thrown in a little strange to say the least.

Booking a saver fare has nothing to do with being upmarket ,right down to a ferry booking ,it is just that ...A saver fare.

The good news is they will still have a great cruise and will not let a bed spoil it for them ,as they have said in their post .