Service Reward Letter

jeanlyon

This is supposed to be a P&O cruises (UK) board and I find it slightly annoying to see that some are lobbying P@O into trying to change the way they operate (not just tipping) and bring them into line with "other lines"

Why, there are lots of passengers perfectly happy with the way P&O operates, warts & all and do not necessarily want to see them change to the way "other lines" operate.

We and our friends have been loyal P&O customers for many years and hope to continue to enjoy many more cruises with P&O.

If things are done differently on other lines that are perceived to be better than P&O then everyone has a choice to travel with said "cruise lines" and stop using P&O, it's their choice.

When they bring in an all inclusive drinks package to bring them in line with other cruise lines is when I will stop sailing with P & O

Anyway are they still sending these letters out? Has anyone ever changed their minds and then gone back to autotipping would be interesting to know. Because personally I think they are a waste of time as I’m sure if someone takes the tips off they are not going to be swayed by a letter to put them back on.

Appreciate all your comments and thanks for reminding me that P&O is UK in name only :(

Although, thankfully you don't get that feeling or impression when cruising with them at the moment:D

Sorry about the apparent rant earlier, it's just our family and cruising friends have a soft spot for P&O, as we have many enjoyable memories cruising with them over the years and the experience works for us.

Back on topic (apologies to the OP for going off).

I do think it's a very bad idea for P&O to reintroduce these letters (if's that's what they've done) for the reasons previously stated.

As far as we are concerned, we will do as jeanlyon and bin them.

Unfortunately, as others have said, PO are changing things and sometimes not for the better. For example the change in sending letters to customers, cabins who removed AG.

So are you advocating that people simply accept all the changes, warts and all, even if they are seeking to prevent PO from making changes such as this letter to make passengers on holiday feel guilty and which annoy customers and may well. in the end, put people off PO. The so called letter of shame would have continued (though some say it does) without objections and these boards were part of that.

The letter of shame has not been stopped as was only recently delivered on Oriana so proves that P&O do not listen to anyone. The only difference is that the letters are put in envelopes.

It's simple. The autograts are paid to your waiters and your cabin steward (and/or butlers). We halve the amount, give one half to the cabin steward and the other half split between our two waiters. We also tip our wine waiter, but that's a personal choice.

That is very generous.

I have never experienced a steward do anything which deserved a tip, and the waiters only on one voyage. As for the wine waiters, most seem to be useless.

Our wine waitress on this cruise was superb. And our steward was also super, changing our queen to a twin immediately we asked as we hadn't realized the cabin had upper bunks and we couldn't move. Nothing was too much trouble.

I have been told by Cruise Critic members (across various cruise lines) that removing AGs and tipping directly for good service means that those receiving a tip directly have to put what they receive into a central pot. Is that not correct?

I don’t know about now, but before AG if you tipped your waiter then some would go the head waiter and some into the gallery for the cooks

And our steward was also super, changing our queen to a twin immediately we asked as we hadn't realized the cabin had upper bunks and we couldn't move.

That would seem to me to be a standard part of their job.

So if I’m understanding all this correctly. People don’t like the AG being add when on the ship. They definitely don’t a letter being left out their cabin. They don’t like the Highlighters shows or the sail aways My question is why do they cruise with P & O then. What do they like

So if I’m understanding all this correctly. People don’t like the AG being add when on the ship. They definitely don’t a letter being left out their cabin. They don’t like the Highlighters shows or the sail aways My question is why do they cruise with P & O then. What do they like

As they say you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

Or something like that.:D

It should be perfectly acceptable to make criticisms about things you dislike or things which you would like to be improved, without constantly being questioned as to why you still cruise with P&O, the implication of which is why not take your custom elsewhere.

I will only address the issue of not liking the letters, because the other matters are off topic.

But perhaps you have not caught up that the letters are new. Whilst, as I understand it, one could always remove AG's, and that is what I was informed by Customer Services. The notion of not just having to go to reception and remove them, but then you were asked by, what was, an open letter in ones pigeon hole to fill in again your reasons, was a step too far by PO. People had already booked and introducing what has been described as a letter of shaming is a legitimate reason for people to complain.

I will only address the issue of not liking the letters, because the other matters are off topic.

But perhaps you have not caught up that the letters are new. Whilst, as I understand it, one could always remove AG's, and that is what I was informed by Customer Services. The notion of not just having to go to reception and remove them, but then you were asked by, what was, an open letter in ones pigeon hole to fill in again your reasons, was a step too far by PO. People had already booked and introducing what has been described as a letter of shaming is a legitimate reason for people to complain.

However, if you are not ashamed of taking your AG off, why be ashamed of the letter

However, if you are not ashamed of taking your AG off, why be ashamed of the letter

I don't think that people are actually ashamed of the letter but think that P&O are trying to shame those who have reduced their discretionary servicecharge to try to encourage them to reinstate it to the recommended amount.

I am certainly not ashamed of the letter. But having filled in the form as to why I am removing the charge, why do I need to fill in another back of a letter saying why I am removing them and would I like to change my mind?

PS I enjoy the Headliners, but not the bloody loud volume which is not their fault.

I am certainly not ashamed of the letter. But having filled in the form as to why I am removing the charge, why do I need to fill in another back of a letter saying why I am removing them and would I like to change my mind?

PS I enjoy the Headliners, but not the bloody loud volume which is not their fault.

You do not need to explain your actions. The cruise line has no right to know your reasons unless you want to tell them. It is a optional charge, the guest have 100% control here.

You do not need to explain your actions. The cruise line has no right to know your reasons unless you want to tell them. It is a optional charge, the guest have 100% control here.

If the explanation on the cancellation/reduction form clearly explained your reasons, then I would be asking to speak to whoever put their name to the letter (Hotel Director / Customer Service Manager, etc) and tell them not to be so stupid in future.

That is very generous.

I have never experienced a steward do anything which deserved a tip, and the waiters only on one voyage. As for the wine waiters, most seem to be useless.

Not sure if this is a joke post but I will take it at the moment that you are serious. All I can say is then you must have been very unlucky with your service then. We have never been on a cruise where the crew haven’t been superb. We even tipped a wine waiter once, even though we don’t drink, because he was so good with the elderly couple on our table.

Not sure if this is a joke post but I will take it at the moment that you are serious. All I can say is then you must have been very unlucky with your service then. We have never been on a cruise where the crew haven’t been superb. We even tipped a wine waiter once, even though we don’t drink, because he was so good with the elderly couple on our table.

Yes it serious, it all about people removing AG and other people knowing. I’ve always found the service to be very good and have never removed my AG and tip extra.

I think he or she is just looking for an argument - all previous posts are in the same vein.

I was tempted to go to Reception with the letter, but then we both thought "We;re on holiday, why should we bother", so we binned the letter.
Best place for it.

You had already given your reasons when stopping AG as GS and that should have been enough.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Perfectly serious.

I have never understood what people think the cabin stewards do to be anything special. They make the bed, change the towels and occasionally run a vacuum around (and even then they don't bother to clean under the bed). Nothing I wouldn't expect from any hotel anywhere in the world.

As for the wine waiters, in Freedom dining for some reason they never have the wine list on the table so you have to wait for the wine waiter to bring it. By the time you have decided on your choice and then waited for the wine waiter to deign to return to take the order and then finally returned with the wine a considerable time has passed.

The MDR waiters are the only ones who deliver a reasonable service, if pushed.