Norway Cruise- wi-fi question

Eveglos

Good morning all and apologies if this has been asked before. We are off to the Norweigan fjords on Saturday on Azura,and we are wondering how to get wi-fi etc.Am I correct in thinking that since usage within Europe is treated as in the UK,we can access that in port? However,what happens on board? Do we need to buy a package or is there free wi-fi?( I doubt this somehow!!)

Any advice much appreciated

Eve

Good morning all and apologies if this has been asked before. We are off to the Norweigan fjords on Saturday on Azura,and we are wondering how to get wi-fi etc.Am I correct in thinking that since usage within Europe is treated as in the UK,we can access that in port? However,what happens on board? Do we need to buy a package or is there free wi-fi?( I doubt this somehow!!)

Any advice much appreciated

Eve

If you are going to visit Olden,there is free wi-fi at Coop Marked.

On a fjords cruise a few years ago (admittedly, it was on Cunard) Internet access was not available one entire day due to the proximity of the mountains in a narrow fjord. The computer centre was locked up to discourage people from even trying. Otherwise, Internet access was reliable.

When there in November we used our UK allowance for WiFi, we could even receive a signal when sailing up the coast of Norway, only purchased 1 24 hour slot when we were to far from land to get a signal.

Data usage within Europe may now be included in your monthly tariff, but that varies from company to company and tariff to tariff - best check that with your mobile provider.

You do need to be careful, though (and there are technical issues here which would be worth investigating further) that the phone doesn't lock on to the ship's signal instead of one of the local networks. If it does that the charges will be horrendous.

Here's a taster: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/a2a51772-823f-4613-bb1c-6321db892d61

Agree, I have ‘free’ data roaming, and when I can see land, I have that turned on (hoping it’ll pick that up not the ships network) last year in the Fjords that was fine 100% of the time. I always had access through my phone. I do check the texts which come through confirming what price rate the network is accessing.

I wish there were a way to keep data roaming turned on, but not allow the ships (maritime) NW. I thought read somewhere (last year) that some mobile companies were going to provide a way to stop our phones accessing maritime networks, but I’ve heard nothing since.

Thanks all. Just got back and managed to use O2 data roaming when in port.To be on the safe side I switched data roaming off during our two sea days.

Set my phone alarm for 6:00 am ready to get up early to self disembark,only to find we were the only ones ready and waiting! Yes- you guessed it- my phone hadn't automatically gone back an hour so we were actually sat in the Atrium at 6:15 not 7:15 am!!

The joys of technology!!

Eve