New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

Meanwhile I've booked cabins through the site and I have no idea where they are on the ship. As an experienced cruiser I know location can make or break a cruise.

I am getting together a small group (8 rooms). I’m not one to call, since I work a ton. I’ve handled all my reservations via email. Our PCC usually responds immediately. Have you tried just emailing your PCC? We gave her a list of rooms we were interested in and she booked our rooms. I’ve never had to call anyone. Maybe try dealing in email only?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering if the Veendam has a spa pass daily/weekly and cost? anything like a chef's dinner offered? anything needed to be signed up for the day of departure that most people don't know about or is in high demand? I love using the spa's off and on throughout the week as well attending the chef's dinner if they offer them. What are the specialty activities they offer like cooking demo's, computer classes, etc. I saw online something like that Any other tidbits would be very welcome my first time on a HAL ship I am looking forward to a more laid back, quieter, stimulating, ship.Thanks!!!

Does anyone here know if Holland America offers a shuttle in Guayaquil, Ecuador? Posted on the South American boards, but haven't gotten any responses.

Thanks!

We were there in January during our S America & Antarctica Cruise. The ship provided a shuttle service, dropped you off at “Parque Seminario” (also known as Parque De Las Iguanas). Malecon 2000 (tree lined waterfront area) is near by from there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were there in January during our S America & Antarctica Cruise. The ship provided a shuttle service, dropped you off at “Parque Seminario” (also known as Parque De Las Iguanas). Malecon 2000 (tree lined waterfront area) is near by from there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you! Just what I was looking for.

Does HAL have an app you can download to iPhone

They used to, but I just checked and it looks like it is no longer available. I downloaded it months ago but didn't use it much because it wasn't very good -- difficult to navigate, and the only function I could find was to look up info on cruises (no ability to connect to my own account, no ability to book or purchase anything, etc.). It now looks like they've discontinued it altogether.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Does HAL have an app you can download to iPhone

They have one, but you can’t download it until you board the ship and connect to the ships WiFi. Go you to you browser and type in I believe name of vessel. There are instructions on the browser and also on a sheet in your stateroom. It worked pretty good, could check your onboard acct, look up tours, ship layout, and daily activities.

They have one, but you can’t download it until you board the ship and connect to the ships WiFi. Go you to you browser and type in I believe name of vessel. There are instructions on the browser and also on a sheet in your stateroom. It worked pretty good, could check your onboard acct, look up tours, ship layout, and daily activities.

It's not an app per se, nothing to download either beforehand or on the ship. When you're on the ship, connect to the wifi. If Navigator doesn't load automatically, then type "login.com" into your browser and it should get you there.

It's not an app per se, nothing to download either beforehand or on the ship. When you're on the ship, connect to the wifi. If Navigator doesn't load automatically, then type "login.com" into your browser and it should get you there.

On the new version of the Navigator is a "chat" function so that you can exchange messages with other guests. We enjoyed it on the Volendam this spring.

As far as logging into HAL, it's free and one can then login to your HAL account just like you were on a computer at home. We also enjoy reading the NYTimes to keep up somewhat with news.

Much to our surprise, our ocean view cabin did not have robes on our cruise ending last week. Wondering if too many people take them thinking they're free. We have never had slippers but also haven't sailed in anything other than your standard OV.

I would expect that you can ask your cabin steward for robes, I know that's how some of the other cruise lines are doing it now, I think it was Carnival that they stopped placing in the cabin to save on laundry if you don't need or want to use one.:cool:

What is the temperature onboard the Eurodam to Alaska? I expect the outdoors to be wet

and cold but will it be chilly throughout the ship, ie. MDR, etc? Fahrenheit estimate please. We're from toasty Palm Spings! Trip is this Saturday.

kparis47, I have always felt the interior temperatures to be a bit on the chilly side even in the Caribbean and South Pacific. Maybe around 70 - 72. Your cabin temp can be individually set, but the MDR, Queens Lounge and showrooms tend to be especially chilly. Was on the Eurodam for 36 days last fall, great ship and crew. Have fun!

Leaving for Alaska in 2 weeks and we have fixed dinner time requested. I'm guessing I should check out the MDR and find out what time our sitting is? Also what if one night we didn't want to go to MDR and just want to eat when hungry in Lido or elsewhere? Do we need to let someone know so they don't hold a table, or is it the reverse and they don't hold a table until you confirm that day?

First time newbie here !

When you check in, you will be given your cabin card. Your dining assignment will be on that card. If you have open seating, that will be noted; if fixed, the time and table number will be noted.

If on fixed, and on any given night you know you won't be there the next night, it is customary to let your tablemates and/or table steward know. If it's a spur of the moment decision you could stop at the dining room and leave a message for your steward. In any case, your table will still be waiting for you the night after that.

If on open seating there's no need to let anyone know you will be dining elsewhere.

Do the cabins have alarm clocks or wake up call service?

No alarm clocks are provided. You can bring a wind-up or battery operated clock. Plug-in clocks will not keep accurate time.

The phone has a wake-up call feature that you can set yourself. You have to program it in military time of a 24-hour day, so remember that if you decide to take a nap in the afternoon.

Do the cabins have alarm clocks or wake up call service?

If you are in a Neptune/Pinnacle Suite, there will be a wall clock in your stateroom that is radio-controlled to adjust to the ships time as it changes enroute. Lesser categories will require an alarm clock or cell phone to keep track of the time.

What type of USB charging hub do experienced cruisers recommend? We have several devices (phones, wireless headphones, external chargers) that we'll need to be charging.

I also understand that there are standard 110 AC outlets in the cabins; just not sure how many, but that I can request a "power bar" from our steward?

Thanks!

What ship are you on,some of the ones who have been through drydock have new usb charging outlets by the bedside; especially the newer ships. Zaandam [R-class] did not receive them in April - at least not in OV.

Nieuw Amsterdam had them in every level of staterooms - her drydock was last December.