"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Aug 2, 2009

Radio

Hello everyone ! I arrived in Cape Canaveral this afternoon for a pre cruise stay near the port. I am staying at Country Inn and Suites on Astronaut Blvd. The rooms are very nice, with a large pool.

For those of you that are new to Cruise Critic, I will be providing something more than a Cruise Ship Review.

I will be posting Daily Photos, of the Ports of Call, Cabin, Ship exterior, and public areas. I will be able to answer many questions, and provide daily commentary. (Pending valid internet connection)

I last sailed on a Freedom Class ship back in Jan 2008 (Liberty of the Seas), and made a VIDEO of that voyage. The Freedom Class ships are certainly the most magnificent ships (to date), and they seems to have thrilled many passengers in the past several years.

The Freedom of the Seas will be sailing a Western itinerary this week, with stops at Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I really want to see and report on the changes in Labadee, and the changes in the Cruise Compass (I read here on CC that it has changed). I have also read that there are several new shows. . .

The ship seems to be sold out, so I am looking forward to hear how many passengers will be sailing tomorrow.

My plan is to arrive to the Pier tomorrow early, and I should be onboard to post many photos before sail away at 4:30PM.

This should be a fun week, so sit back. . .Have a cup of coffee, and thanks for tuning in !

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Freedom of the Seas

F1.jpg

© 2008 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Edited by Radio

We will be on that same route and ship later this month, so we are very much looking forward to your review.

Sounds like you are doing what we plan to do, which is to arrive in Orlando/Port Canaveral a day before the cruise. Quick question (assuming you flew in), how did you get from Orlando airport to the hotel you are staying at in Port Canaveral? We are having a hard time trying to figure out how we are going to get to our hotel from the airport the day before the cruise. Also, how do you plan to get to the port from your hotel, a taxi or shuttle?

It says boarding time is at 4:30 (just like our cruise), but please let us know how early one can get to the Port. Seems like you are going to try to get there early, which is what we like to do.

Thanks and have a great cruise!!

Hi Pete78, we were on the FOS in May. We flew in the day before and rented a car at the airport from Avis, then we had the car for the day. We returned the car Sunday morning in Cape Canaveral (near the hotel) and they shuttled my husband back to the hotel. Then we took a taxi about 11:00 to the Ship. They had a shuttle from the hotel but the taxi was so much easier. Also I think Avis will take you right to the ship if you want, ask them. We are going again next May and plan on doing the same thing. We stayed at the Radisson and next time I am going to stay at the Comfort Suites. Have a great time!!!

We will be on that same route and ship later this month, so we are very much looking forward to your review.

Sounds like you are doing what we plan to do, which is to arrive in Orlando/Port Canaveral a day before the cruise. Quick question (assuming you flew in), how did you get from Orlando airport to the hotel you are staying at in Port Canaveral? We are having a hard time trying to figure out how we are going to get to our hotel from the airport the day before the cruise. Also, how do you plan to get to the port from your hotel, a taxi or shuttle?

It says boarding time is at 4:30 (just like our cruise), but please let us know how early one can get to the Port. Seems like you are going to try to get there early, which is what we like to do.

Thanks and have a great cruise!!

Having lived in Orlando for 18 years, I can tell you that there are NUMEROUS shuttles from MCO to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, but it can be less expensive to simply rent a car as others have said. You may spend $50 or so renting a car, but you will spend at least that much taking a shuttle service from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral--and then still have no way around (if you want to go for dinner, or shopping, etc). As stated on other threads, it is super easy to get to Port Canaveral from MCO.....take the NORTH exit out of the airport (towards 436/528)...follow the signs for 528 Beachline EAST. The drive is about 45 minutes...once you get near the port, there are plenty of signs to point you in the right direction. Cocoa Beach area is not that big, and you might enjoy going to Ron Jon's Surf Shop for some unique t-shirts, etc.....I may have to buy some next time we're there.........sometimes makes me miss Florida.....

We cruise the same intinerary on the Freedom in 4 weeks. I will be watching/reading with much interest!
So do we of course -- roll call friend. Have had Radio do his reviews once or twice before we sailed and they really whet your appetite.

Where's the web cam? This is so exciting!

There are several Web Cams. . .

Here is one that you can see the ships coming and going from Jetty Park in Port Canaveral.

http://www.cocoabeachsurf.com/BeachCam1.htm

Here is the Local 6 Cam with a view towards the Inlet. . .

http://www.clickorlando.com/blank/2349894/detail.html

Here is the Famous Radisson Web Cam with views of the ships in Port.

http://www.opusad.com/radissonwebcam/

Radio

;);)