"LIVE" From Explorer of the Seas / May 8, 2010

Hello everyone !

It is with great pleasure, that I bring you “LIVE” from the Explorer of the Seas.

I made it up here to Elizabeth, NJ (Just a few minutes from Cape Liberty) around 1PM this afternoon.

I am staying at the Country Inn and Suites, which is between Newark International Airport, and Jersey Garden Mall. The hotel is very nice and the front desk staff are very friendly.

Those who are familiar with my “LIVE” posts should know that I will be posting daily reports, and comments. I will also be posting many photos of Explorer of the Seas, public rooms, and our 2 days in Beautiful Bermuda. (As long as I am able to maintain a valid wireless connection)

It appears that this sailing will be a little delayed. The reason for the delay has been reported here on Cruise Critic. Royal Caribbean called me, and suggested that Explorer will arrive around 3PM tomorrow.

The RCI rep who called told that we should not arrive to the Pier before 730PM, and we must arrive before 10PM. They suggested that we should be leaving the pier around Midnight.

Wow ! This all sounds extremely similar to my last sailing on Explorer of the Seas.

(That “LIVE” Post can be read HERE)

Back in November 2007, the Explorer was delayed due to Hurricane Noel. The ship arrived 7 hours late (3PM), and left 7 hours late (12AM).

Oh well. . .this should be a fun embarkation. . . . I was told by RCI that dining will be open tomorrow night at the Café Promenade, Windjammer, and there will be Open seating in the MDR.

I plan on arriving to Cape Liberty at around 3PM, to get some pics of Explorer pulling into port. I will come back to the hotel, and hang out until about 8PM. I will then head over to Cape Liberty. . .Park my car, and board Explorer of the Seas for a wonderful 5 Night Cruise to Bermuda !

This cruise should be a lot of fun . . . It seems that we have a fun crowd on our Explorer Roll Call. . . Sit back, relax, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy our cruise !

Radio

;);)

Explorer of the Seas

11062.jpg

This image taken in Bermuda Nov 2007

Edited by Radio

Enjoy your stay in the lovely Newark area!! See you on the ship tomorrow!!

I too will be doing some live posts...mainly as we are doing a B2B2B....but I shall keep my thoughts on the 1st leg to a minimum and defer to Radio as he does such a wonderful job....(and he has kindly offered to give me some photo pointers!)

See everyone later!

Radio, Very much looking foward to your Live! Sadly, I missed your last one and was in anticipation of your next! Im happy it is on our wonderful Home Ship, Explorer! I cant wait to board her again in June, its been over 2 years for us.

As I usually do, I also hope to do my Live thread in June (family permitting), but Im curious where the hot spots on Explorer are. I used to use Cyber Cabin (& yes, it was good for me, I was able to multitask)

Have a wonderful Sail Away...

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

It makes me smile to see you posting LIVE again!! It's so close to our trip in June, it will make the wait not so bad! Can't wait to see the great pics and fantastic posts...

Cheers! Have a great cruise!!

We are leaving tomorrow too on Explorer. Part of the whole reason for booking this itinerary was to sip Champagne from the balcony as we passed by the Statute of Liberty on my birthday - now the sailing will be way late (I will probably be asleep by then after getting up at 4 am to catch the flights to Newark. So as to not sit at the airport till 7:30 pm with nothing to do I found a shuttle to the outlet mall so that will occupy our afternoon at least.

Hope it all works out and ends up positive.

Florida Family

We are leaving tomorrow too on Explorer. Part of the whole reason for booking this itinerary was to sip Champagne from the balcony as we passed by the Statute of Liberty on my birthday - now the sailing will be way late (I will probably be asleep by then after getting up at 4 am to catch the flights to Newark. So as to not sit at the airport till 7:30 pm with nothing to do I found a shuttle to the outlet mall so that will occupy our afternoon at least.

Hope it all works out and ends up positive.

Florida Family

Technically we do not pass the statue. We enter the river below where she stands. However she can be seen off in the distance on the port side while we are docked at Cape Liberty. Please remember, if it's lit, to look at the 9/11 Memorial on the starboard side that we will pass before entering the river. If you don't get to see it, look for it on our return. We have rescheduled our ride to arrive at 7:30 ish. And Happy Birthday...today is my birthday. 8-)

Radio,

As always, thank you for allowing us to tag along on your vacation. We look forward to your posts and pics. My wife and I had the pleasure of sailing on Explorer in 2007. She is a beautiful ship. Enjoy your vacation.

Technically we do not pass the statue. We enter the river below where she stands. However she can be seen off in the distance on the port side while we are docked at Cape Liberty. Please remember, if it's lit, to look at the 9/11 Memorial on the starboard side that we will pass before entering the river. If you don't get to see it, look for it on our return. We have rescheduled our ride to arrive at 7:30 ish.

And Happy Birthday...today is my birthday. 8-)

Happy Birthday, a great way to celebrate.

Enjoy the views while "Us folks at home" can dream and read Radio's reports.

Yay! We are heading out on the 5-day on Explorer in six short weeks, so I will be following eagerly, Radio!

I am also an avid photographer, so I am especially looking forward to the pics.

I stayed at the CI&S last week with a high school group, and I completely agree about the great staff there. We had a wonderful stay.

For those who are wondering about the relation of the port to the Statue of Liberty, I posted these on another thread earlier this week, but here are some photos from Top of the Rock that show Explorer docked at Bayonne and the SoL, first in the distance, then with the zoom:

LabeledExplorer.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences, Radio, and have a great time!

Sue

Radio....really looking forward to your live updates as we will be sailing the Explorer for the first time next month. DH and I sailed one of our Grandeur sailings with you and really enjoyed meeting you in person. We hope we get to set sail with you again one day! Enjoy your trip and safe sailing!

Happy Sailing! :)

Kathy and Mike

Hello everyone. . . Since I arrived so early yesterday, I thought I would drive down to the pier to see what was new.

There is a lot of development on the Peninsula at Bayonne,(where Cape Liberty is) including a new entrance (to be open soon), and a new series of Luxury Condos.

There was also the Harbor View 911 Memorial Park built near the end of the peninsula (next to Cape Liberty) The memorial was created by a Russian Sculptor, and is a gift from the people of Russia. The Park is open during daylight hours. It is a nice place to visit before or after your cruise.

I also went over to Liberty State Park. The entrance and parking were free, and you can take a ferry over to Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty for only $12.PP. It seems that I arrived at the park a little to late, because the last ferry leaves at 330PM. I stayed for awhile, and walked around and took a few pics.

I would like to head over to Cape Liberty today, to get a few pics of Explorer of the Seas coming into port. I will wait to find an accurate arrival time. The current arrival estimate is 3PM, and the current departure time is still Midnight tonight.

I will be there !

Here are a few pics from yesterday. . .More pics later !

Radio

I arrived at Cape Liberty yesterday afternoon.

P17.JPG

The Harbor View 911 Memorial is in view of the Statue of Liberty, and the site of the Twin Towers

P5.JPG

It is a stunning Monument !

P14.JPG

View of the Statue of Liberty from Cape Liberty Cruise Port

P2.JPG

The last Ferry pulls away as I arrive at Liberty State Park.

It was a very sunny day, with great views.

P16.JPG

I can see the Statue behind Ellis Island

P12.JPG

Edited by Radio

Hello everyone. . . Since I arrived so early yesterday, I thought I would drive down to the pier to see what was new.

There is a lot of development on the Peninsula at Bayonne,(where Cape Liberty is) including a new entrance (to be open soon), and a new series of Luxury Condos.

There was also the Harbor View 911 Memorial Park built near the end of the peninsula (next to Cape Liberty) The memorial was created by a Russian Sculptor, and is a gift from the people of Russia. The Park is open during daylight hours. It is a nice place to visit before or after your cruise.

I also went over to Liberty State Park. The entrance and parking were free, and you can take a ferry over to Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty for only $12.PP. It seems that I arrived at the park a little to late, because the last ferry leaves at 330PM. I stayed for awhile, and walked around and took a few pics.

I would like to head over to Cape Liberty today, to get a few pics of Explorer of the Seas coming into port. I will wait to find an accurate arrival time. The current arrival estimate is 3PM, and the current departure time is still Midnight tonight.

I will be there !

Here are a few pics from yesterday. . .More pics later !

Radio

I arrived at Cape Liberty yesterday afternoon.

P17.JPG

The Harbor View 911 Memorial is in view of the Statue of Liberty, and the site of the Twin Towers

P5.JPG

It is a stunning Monument !

P14.JPG

View of the Statue of Liberty from Cape Liberty Cruise Port

P2.JPG

The last Ferry pulls away as I arrive at Liberty State Park.

It was a very sunny day, with great views.

P16.JPG

I can see the Statue behind Ellis Island

P12.JPG

What a beautiful monument! I've got to get back to NYC...I miss it. Its been 2 yrs since I've been there.