Drinking straws

tiger-91

I'm on the NCL Jewel and just ordered a frozen Bushwhacker at the pool bar. The bartender brought it to me and apologized that there is no straw.

I thought at first he meant they ran out or just didn't have any, but he went on to explain that the company said to no longer give out straws.

It's not easy to drink a frozen drink without a straw.

And this is the third day. I had no issues in earlier days of getting a straw. I had to ask for one each time, but I got one.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy.

To whom do I complain?

On the Jewel as well. It is new policy coming from Miami yesterday or today. Straws are not anymore only available on guest request but completely banned. Don’t give the bar staff a hard time about it, the guideline from Miami was pretty strict the only venue still serving plastic straws is Starbucks on the newer ships.

Straw ban came into effect on April 1, 2018 - purely for environmental purposes. This is fine with us.

On last cruise on Spirit, we were poolside, and I asked for a Mudslide ... with a straw. They complied.

For the people that wishes to bring straws on-board, please take biodegradable ones. Amazon sell pack of 100 for 10-14 CAD and it will be good for the environment. This is what I will do so my kids can have straws for their drinks.

Wait, so you are on a cruise at this moment and took the time to complain about straws on an internet forum?

Some folks like to let the world know of their problems 24/7.

For the people that wishes to bring straws on-board, please take biodegradable ones. Amazon sell pack of 100 for 10-14 CAD and it will be good for the environment. This is what I will do so my kids can have straws for their drinks.

No thank you.

On the Jewel as well. It is new policy coming from Miami yesterday or today. Straws are not anymore only available on guest request but completely banned. Don’t give the bar staff a hard time about it, the guideline from Miami was pretty strict the only venue still serving plastic straws is Starbucks on the newer ships.

This is a change, so thank you. Last week, straws were available by request. To say that are no longer available at all is different. Some drinks are much better with a straw, so I will be bringing my own aboard next cruise.

So I'm not sure if it's just a pool bar thing or a shipwide policy. To whom do I complain?

Don’t complain to anyone. It’s old news.

RCCL has talked about for a long time. They were talking about it again a few days before NCL implemented it a month and a half ago.

It is a great advancement in being green.

Wait, so you are on a cruise at this moment and took the time to complain about straws on an internet forum?

Believe it or not there are many people who still utilize cruise critic while they are on their cruise. That’s how you get the lovely “live” threads. It’s not really that hard or time consuming. Especially if you use the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastic and paper straws can be recycled.

This is just a ridiculously cheap cost cutting move and could backfire by becoming the poster child for NCL nickel and diming.

I do not agree with NCL banning straws. I mean, who wants to drink an alcoholic beverage without a straw, especially a frozen drink? That being said, maybe there is a real problem with straws making it into the ocean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk