Speaker Volume Crown Princess

Tedferg

Recent cruise on Crown - Med April 28. The sound level during Muster was painfully high in Explorer lounge. Most of the people there were wincing with fingers in their ears.

Also unnecessarily high in Atrium and other areas. Wheelhouse has a corner near the entrance, which could, should be a quiet area to have a drink and a chat - but it has an overly loud speaker relaying the entertainment. We enjoy the Atrium entertainment but feel that it does not need to be so loud three floors up in Crooners !

Also unnecessarily high in Atrium and other areas. Wheelhouse has a corner near the entrance, which could, should be a quiet area to have a drink and a chat - but it has an overly loud speaker relaying the entertainment. We enjoy the Atrium entertainment but feel that it does not need to be so loud three floors up in Crooners !

Volume in the Piazza has been climbing and has reached new heights on the Royal-class ships. Complaints about which are the reason there is no Crooner's shown on the Sky Princess deck plans, as the limited hours Crooners operates on Royal and Regal due to so many other noisy activities necessitates relocating the piano bar entertainment elsewhere.

On our cruise this March the CD announcements were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay louder than any we have ever heard before. It was insane. I don't know if it's a new policy or just that the CD had no clue.

Welcome to the world of Princess entertainment. :)

There are no Princess venues that I know of that have reasonable levels of volume.

People have complained for year to no avail & I doubt if it'll get any better in the future.

Perhaps if someone were to file a lawsuit for hearing damage it might do some good but in the mean time bring earplugs like most other people have learned.

I’ve thought that the sound levels for entertainment have been increasing for some time now. On three cruises on the Royal and Regal the shows in the Princess theater have been so loud that I have been using ear plugs. After one loud evening show I went down to the atrium to see what was going on there. There was a band playing so loud that I couldn’t stand to stay and enjoy. There was a member of the cruise staff there and I tried to tell her that the sound level was too loud. She was pretty snotty about it and couldn’t understand me unless I YELLED very loud. She yelled back that it is not too loud.

On my last cruise a couple of months ago on the Caribbean Princess I took a sound meter with me. I measured parts of two shows in the Princess Theater. The sound level was very high. The average level was 94 dB with some sounds reaching 109 dB. Before retirement, at my work, if I was in an environment that was that loud I would be required to ware hearing protection.

I have asked others coming out of shows if they thought that the sound level was too high and almost all have said yes. I have complained to the cruise director once only to be rebuffed. No one else will complain. It’s getting more difficult to enjoy things on the ships with the sound levels increasing to these levels.

I hope someone from Princess is reading this because my upcoming cruise in December may very well be my last. AND YES THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE SOUND LEVEL EVERYWHERE. It’s not fun anymore.

Edited by TwoCruisers

Totally agree with the observations about high sound level -- perhaps the changing clientele is the reason but I know of no long term Princess loyalists who appreciate current sound levels. And as was previously said, too loud music and entertainment is yet another reason to stop cruising Princess, enough is enough.

John

Complaints about which are the reason there is no Crooner's shown on the Sky Princess deck plans, as the limited hours Crooners operates on Royal and Regal due to so many other noisy activities necessitates relocating the piano bar entertainment elsewhere.

Where is the piano bar ? We really enjoy Crooners and we missed it on our one Celebrity cruise. Must say the Crooners on Regal was too noisy from Atrium and the bar felt disconnected from the main seating area.

I'm somewhat hard of hearing but far from deaf. While I can understand movies shown in the Princess Theater, I find the sound on MUTS to be pretty abysmal, even if I seek out the acoustic sweet spot. Combined with the terrible condition of some of the screens, I've just given up.

Gee, I thought it was just me getting older and cranky, lol. One cruise there was an entertainer, and I use that term loosely, who was so loud and obnoxious we couldn’t believe it. If someone was near the back trying to have a quiet conversation he would stop the show to yell out to them. One poor fellow was seated at a round table with his back partially to the piano and this “crooner” made him turn his chair to directly face him. Unfortunately for us our cabin was right above the venue and we could hear every shout and hammering he did on that piano. We did put in a complaint more than once and it the volume was reduced minimally.

As for relaxing around the pool during the day, quit doing that a long time ago due to the loudness from those giant speakers.

I scratch my head wondering what is trying to be accomplished by all the racket all day and night?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Recent cruise on Crown - Med April 28. The sound level during Muster was painfully high in Explorer lounge. Most of the people there were wincing with fingers in their ears.

And yet there are people here who think they will somehow be disturbed by cell phone notifications...

I hate it when the volume for MUTS is so loud that it bleeds thru into the adjacent pool areas. There's just no logical reason for audio to be that loud.

When MUTS first became available, I remember that they passed out earbuds for the audio ..... that was SO much better than the sound blast of nowdays.

I’ve thought that the sound levels for entertainment have been increasing for some time now. On three cruises on the Royal and Regal the shows in the Princess theater have been so loud that I have been using ear plugs. After one loud evening show I went down to the atrium to see what was going on there. There was a band playing so loud that I couldn’t stand to stay and enjoy. There was a member of the cruise staff there and I tried to tell her that the sound level was too loud. She was pretty snotty about it and couldn’t understand me unless I YELLED very loud. She yelled back that it is not too loud.

On my last cruise a couple of months ago on the Caribbean Princess I took a sound meter with me. I measured parts of two shows in the Princess Theater. The sound level was very high. The average level was 94 dB with some sounds reaching 109 dB. Before retirement, at my work, if I was in an environment that was that loud I would be required to ware hearing protection.

I have asked others coming out of shows if they thought that the sound level was too high and almost all have said yes. I have complained to the cruise director once only to be rebuffed. No one else will complain. It’s getting more difficult to enjoy things on the ships with the sound levels increasing to these levels.

I hope someone from Princess is reading this because my upcoming cruise in December may very well be my last. AND YES THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE SOUND LEVEL EVERYWHERE. It’s not fun anymore.

Just got off a B2B on the Caribbean Princess. I have been an entertainer for over 30 years; therefore, I have hearing loss. I asked the CD why the level was so high in the theater. I had to cover my ears several times. He gave me some BS that by "law" they are not allowed to have the sound too high. We had to watch the rest of the shows in another lounge where they were broadcast.

Where is the piano bar ? We really enjoy Crooners and we missed it on our one Celebrity cruise. Must say the Crooners on Regal was too noisy from Atrium and the bar felt disconnected from the main seating area.

Sadly no Crooner's on the deck plans for the Sky Princess. This area is being filled by a misplaced French Bistro which should have been located elsewhere.

Best guesses for a piano bar entertainer, if any at all, is Princess Live providing it is configured into a lounge instead of a ridiculous TV studio, Crown Grill Bar where the entertainer will annoy those dining, or the Piazza.

Sadly no Crooner's on the deck plans for the Sky Princess. This area is being filled by a misplaced French Bistro which should have been located elsewhere.

Is the Sky aimed at regular Regal / Royal market ? I notice Majestic does not have a Crooners either.

As I mentioned before, we took one Celebrity cruise on Reflection and enjoyed it but public areas felt bitty. Atrium not as grand as on Princess and lots of 'specialty' bars but none that felt like Crooners on Grand class ships. Crooners feels like a hub to us, we see lots of 'regulars' there and smile and say Hello after a couple of days.

crooners is usually our last stop of the day - my wifes 'Dunes' martini - and usually my scotch ... the only exception being if a certain 'entertainer' is there doing his version of karaoke

we'll miss it if we book the Sky...

crooners is usually our last stop of the day - my wifes 'Dunes' martini - and usually my scotch ... the only exception being if a certain 'entertainer' is there doing his version of karaoke

we'll miss it if we book the Sky...

Would that be Kory Simon ?

I'm somewhat hard of hearing but far from deaf. While I can understand movies shown in the Princess Theater, I find the sound on MUTS to be pretty abysmal, even if I seek out the acoustic sweet spot. Combined with the terrible condition of some of the screens, I've just given up.

OK. I have to agree with this. On our cruise last October we gave up on MUTS entirely as we couldn't follow what was being said in the movie. They had the sound turned down so low it was crazy. On that cruise, however, the CD didn't blast everybody's ears with insanely loud announcements. On our most recent cruise when the CD made announcements everybody had to stop talking because it was so loud. It was kind of like living near railroad tracks where everything just stops when a train goes by.

100% agreement in all responses - surely Princess must be aware of this and as was suggested by another poster, it is bad enough to make me consider another cruise line.

I did comment on Cruise Survey.

100% agreement in all responses - surely Princess must be aware of this and as was suggested by another poster, it is bad enough to make me consider another cruise line.

I did comment on Cruise Survey.

Many people, including myself, have been making comments on the surveys for years now without anything being changed.

For some reason Princess doesn't think there is a problem that needs correction. :confused: