What time do you board a 4pm departure cruise?

BaltimoreChickadee

How early do they let people on the cruise? And since this is my 1st cruise ever, can anyone give tips as to what time is best to board as to avoid long lines & crowds? Of course, we want to enjoy as much of the boat as possible, but we also don't wanna spend 2 hours standing in line at the terminal waiting to board. Thanks for the help!

How early do they let people on the cruise? And since this is my 1st cruise ever, can anyone give tips as to what time is best to board as to avoid long lines & crowds? Of course, we want to enjoy as much of the boat as possible, but we also don't wanna spend 2 hours standing in line at the terminal waiting to board. Thanks for the help!

You MUST be on board at least 2 hours before the ship is to set sail, so 2 p.m. would be the latest you'd want to be boarding..

Most of us show up at the port around 10:30 or 11 a.m. Boarding starts around 11:30, and that way we're on the ship and eating lunch, touring the ship, having a cold drink, whatever...long before the ship sets sail.

Cabins are usually ready between 1:30 and 2, so there's a bit of time to start to unpack, too.

Except for my last cruise, where there was an issue on the ship so they couldn't start boarding right away, I've never had to stand in line for more than a few minutes before starting the boarding process.

I always arrive at the port around 1020am. That puts me in the front of the line when the doors open and get checked in right away.

It's been my experience that it's best to go early - before the buses from the airport start arriving. It gets really, really crowded then.

We've been lucky to get to port at 11 or 11:15 -- The first rush is through by then. Normally within 20 minutes or so we are on board eating lunch. Royal Caribbean lets you in your room at around 1:00 so I go and unpack and then roam around and have a DOD (Drink of the Day). Enjoy your first cruise!!

Welcome aboard, since it is the first cruise good time to learn the lingo. it is a ship in that a boat is something that can sit ON a ship. The front 1/3 of the ship is FORWARD the back 1/3 is AFT and in between 1/3 is MIDSHIPS. your Left when you are facing Forward is PORT your Right facing forward is STARBOARD. One more thing the pointy bit Forward is the Bow and the flat bit all the way AFT is called the STERN, cabins facing backward so you see where you have been are Stern, not aft cabins.

As to boarding question, you can arrive around 11 or so but must be on board no later than 90 min. before sail away. That by the way only applies to embarcation day not to when you must be back on board in ports which is 30 min. prior to sailing.

If you board early you may not be able to go to your cabin right away normally the cabins are available by about 1 to 1:30. you can however go to the buffet or as I prefer, ONE of the main dining rooms will be open for lunch,IF IT IS AFTER 12:30 though you may be told otherwise.

Hope you have a nice trip.

Edited by Arwenmark

We boarded around 11:30 and it is great to sit and have a bite to eat, walk around, etc., while the masses are still boarding! The earlier you get on the ship, the earlier your vacation begins. Also, get to know the ship on "their time" (before sailing) instead of yours!;)

As a new cruiser I am sure that you will be excited to get on board and start your vacation. As others have said most ships board at 11:30 a.m. with occassional exceptions. Once we were not able to board our ship until late afternoon because of a severe norovirus outbreak on the cruise prior to ours which meant that the ship had to have a total scrub down. That rarely happens. I recommend boarding in time to enjoy lunch and take a walk around the ship. Some cruisers wait until 1 p.m. or later to board in order to go directly to the cabin.

Edited by duck tune

thank you all so much! since it's my first time cruising i may just try to get there around 11:30 so we can all get on board and start checking everything out!

Great idea indeed. Start the vacation as soon as possible!

Under the latest US rules, you have to board the ship at least one hour before sailing. The ship must submit a list of all the pax on board and their passport numbers or ID used before the ship is allowed to leave port. To the dismay of a few pax, there is no deviation from this policy.

Great idea indeed. Start the vacation as soon as possible!

Under the latest US rules, you have to board the ship at least one hour before sailing. The ship must submit a list of all the pax on board and their passport numbers or ID used before the ship is allowed to leave port. To the dismay of a few pax, there is no deviation from this policy.

The cruise line must submit the final passenger manifest one hour before sailing. To give themselves a sufficient data processing window to get the report out on time, the cruise lines generally require you to check in no later than 90 minutes or two hours prior to departure. It's really necessary to follow the individual cruise line's instructions as cut off times can vary from line to line.

• 2 weeks later...

This might seem like a silly question but what do you do with your carry on bag between the time you board and the time your cabin is ready? I'm thinking about going to the pool as soon as I board but I'm going to be putting some valuables in my carry on and don't really want to leave them unattended at my chair. Thanks!

This might seem like a silly question but what do you do with your carry on bag between the time you board and the time your cabin is ready? I'm thinking about going to the pool as soon as I board but I'm going to be putting some valuables in my carry on and don't really want to leave them unattended at my chair. Thanks!

Sorry..you leave it unattended at your chair. Or you and a travelling companion share "watchdog duties". Pack it so your valuables are at the bottom, not easily "grabable" at the top, and it should be fine. There's not much area around the pool; you should be able to keep an eye on your bag, even if you're swimming.

Sorry..you leave it unattended at your chair. Or you and a travelling companion share "watchdog duties". Pack it so your valuables are at the bottom, not easily "grabable" at the top, and it should be fine. There's not much area around the pool; you should be able to keep an eye on your bag, even if you're swimming.

Ok, cool. Didn't know if there were like lockers or a place to check a bag or anything. But this works!! Thanks!!

I am actually cruising for the first time myself in a couple of weeks -- but in my reading recently, I saw another similar thread and someone in that one said that on SOME lines (I think they were on Carnival), then MAY let you take your carryon luggage to your room even if it isn't ready yet. They said that they do this often and have just asked if they could go to their room JUST to drop off the carryons and them immediately return -- and they have been allowed to do so numerous times.

So, it might be worth a try -- just to note it.

- John...

I am actually cruising for the first time myself in a couple of weeks -- but in my reading recently, I saw another similar thread and someone in that one said that on SOME lines (I think they were on Carnival), then MAY let you take your carryon luggage to your room even if it isn't ready yet. They said that they do this often and have just asked if they could go to their room JUST to drop off the carryons and them immediately return -- and they have been allowed to do so numerous times.

So, it might be worth a try -- just to note it.

- John...

I did this on the Carnival Ecstasy last month. I very nicely asked the room steward if I could just put the suitcase in the closet and come right back out so he could finish cleaning up, and he said yes. Was in the room for about 15 seconds. I made sure I didn't bother him or his work at all.

We used to get to the port early and wait with the crowds for boarding to begin. Now we prefer to arrive a bit later after the crowds have died down...no waiting in the terminal and we have boarded the ship within 10 minutes of parking the car a couple times.

We have arrived at port a couple times at 1pm and boarding has just barely started, many of those people waited 2 - 3 hours to be the first to board. I will note that that is the exception to the rule, most of the time boarding begins at 12 noon.

Of course we're excited about the cruise, but we're over the thrill of rushing to the buffet lunch and exploring the ship. We know we'll have all week to do that and the buffet is always such a let down for us. If we are driving to port, we don't try to rush out the door in the morning, taking our time to make sure everything is done, we'll even stop to get a bite to eat at a nice restaurant on the way.

The real answer to the OP is that you must be in the terminal, checking in, at least 90 minutes prior to sailaway, in your case that would be no later than 2:30 pm. Don't be even 15 minutes late or you will watch the ship sail without you, leave a cushion of time for traffic, parking and even getting lost if you are driving. For a 5pm sailing we usually plan on a 1pm arrival, giving us a 2 and a half hour window for mishaps. If you are flying, especially same day flights, you want to increase the time by several hours. One day prior flights are preferrable, no one knows until it's history if there are flight problems and you will read many accounts over the years here of missed cruises.

Edited by Happy ks

Typically boarding begins around noon. If you want to be one of the first on the ship, then get there around 11:00am. If you want to avoid the lines, then get there around 1:30pm.

• 7 years later...

hi

we are on our first cruise in september the equinox we have got the drinks package included do you get th:)e drinks card when boarding or will it be in our room just wondering if we need a drink will we have to pay

thanks

Welcome aboard, since it is the first cruise good time to learn the lingo. it is a ship in that a boat is something that can sit ON a ship. The front 1/3 of the ship is FORWARD the back 1/3 is AFT and in between 1/3 is MIDSHIPS. your Left when you are facing Forward is PORT your Right facing forward is STARBOARD. One more thing the pointy bit Forward is the Bow and the flat bit all the way AFT is called the STERN, cabins facing backward so you see where you have been are Stern, not aft cabins.

As to boarding question, you can arrive around 11 or so but must be on board no later than 90 min. before sail away. That by the way only applies to embarcation day not to when you must be back on board in ports which is 30 min. prior to sailing.

If you board early you may not be able to go to your cabin right away normally the cabins are available by about 1 to 1:30. you can however go to the buffet or as I prefer, ONE of the main dining rooms will be open for lunch,IF IT IS AFTER 12:30 though you may be told otherwise.

Hope you have a nice trip.